Funded by the University of Washington Morell Endowment and the University of Washington Dental Alumni Association, the Summer Research Fellowship (SURF) Program offers an opportunity for UW School of Dentistry student to work on a research project under the direction of a faculty member. A stipend and allowance for research expenses is provided.
What is Offered?
- Opportunity to work on a research project under the direction of a faculty member.
- Stipend ($4,000 for 2021) + $500 allowance for research expenses.
- Students making a presentation at a national meeting may also receive an allowance for travel to the meeting if selected based on their papers.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Dental students in good academic standing at the University of Washington (including entering students).
Who is Not Eligible?
Students with heavy clinical obligations during the summer.
Three months full time equivalent spread between March – December.
Conditions and Explanations
- The SURF Program is the principal research opportunity for dental students.
- Application Procedure: a) students discuss research opportunities with faculty preceptor; b) student and preceptor submit a letter of intent and write a proposal; c) proposals are submitted early Jan.; d) proposals are reviewed for suitability by Research Advisory Committee; e) fellowship awards announced by early March.
- Students conduct all aspects of research: literature review, data collection, data analysis, and presentation of the results.
- Students participate in a brown bag seminar on Research Design and Methods. Students’ own projects are used as examples for discussion.
- Elective Credits: 6 elective credits are awarded for the research project, 1 credit for the seminar.
- Students write an abstract of their project and give a presentation at Research Day, January/February 2024 (TBD).
- A written report describing results of the research project must be submitted to Dr. Donald Chi, Director, SURF Program, prior to Research Day.
- Dr.Chi video on how to choose a mentor (UWNETID required to view)
- Faculty Research Interests (PDF)
Submit an application
2023 SURF Application Form (PDF)
Applications must be submitted as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
For additional information contact: email@example.com.