Periodontics Clerkship SG
The periodontics clerkship prepares dental students to provide periodontal therapy within the scope of practice of general dentistry. In the didactic component, students expand their knowledge in preparation for clinical experiences. In the clinical component, students treat patients including diagnosis, treatment planning, and periodontal therapy of minimal-moderate difficulty level. At the end of the clerkship, the student will be able to identify and describe the periodontics needs of patients, propose a treatment plan, complete treatment, and determine when to refer to a periodontal specialist.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Clinically assess patients with periodontal diseases.
2. Accurately identify radiographic findings for periodontal disease diagnosis.
3. Formulate an evidence-based treatment plan for the periodontal care and treatment of patients.
4. Design treatment plans to address the periodontal needs and desires of the dental patient in conjunction with their overall dental health needs.
5. Demonstrate clinical skills and ethical values in periodontal therapy and treatment.
6. Apply surgical concepts from all relevant specialties to prosthodontic procedures.
7. Complete all the steps for the fabrication and delivery of an occlusal/night guard.
8. Demonstrate oral hygiene instruction to patients.
9. Perform periodontal prevention activities, caries risk assessment, and diet analysis on periodontics patients.
10. Accurately self-assess the quality one’s work.
11. Coordinate care for the management of periodontal diseases.
12. Identify patients in need of periodontal surgery.
13. Manage advanced periodontal lesions.
14. Explain the biology of periodontal regeneration.
15. Demonstrate the use of the correct periodontal instruments for each clinical need.
16. Refer a patient to a periodontal specialist when indicated.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-17, C-18, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-24, C-25, C-26, C-28, C-31, CE02, CE-03, CE-06
Date last updated: 2022-03-29