Periodontics Clerkship WR
Course Director: Diane Daubert
Quarters/Yr of Program: Winter / 3
Periodontics Clerkship prepares dental students to provide periodontal therapy within the scope of practice of general dentistry. In the didactic component, students expand their knowledge of periodontology in preparation for clinical experiences. In the clinical component, students treat patients including diagnosis, treatment planning, and periodontal therapy of minimal-to-moderate-difficulty level. At the end of the clerkship, the student dentist will be able to identify and describe the periodontics needs of patients, propose a treatment plan, complete treatment, and determine when to refer to a periodontal specialist.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Clinically assess patients with periodontal diseases.
2. Accurately identify radiographic findings for periodontal disease diagnosis.
3. Formulate an evidence-based treatment plan for the periodontal care/treatment of patients.
4. Design treatment plans to address the periodontal needs and desires of the dental patient in conjunction with their overall dental health needs.
5. Demonstrate clinical skills and ethical values in periodontal therapy/treatment.
6. Describe the integration of endodontic, periodontal, orthodontic, and oral surgery concepts in prosthodontics procedures.
7. Explain indications for and the use of dental materials in periodontics dentistry.
8. Complete all the steps for the fabrication and delivery of an occlusal/night guard.
9. Perform periodontal prevention activities, caries risk assessment, and diet analysis on the periodontics patients.
10. Accurately self-assess the quality of one’s work.
11. Coordinate care for the management of periodontal diseases.
12. Explain concepts of periodontal surgery.
13. Manage advanced periodontal lesions.
14. Explain the biology of periodontal regeneration.
15. Explain when a patient should be referred to a periodontal specialist.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-17, C-18, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-24, C-25, C-26, C-28, C-31, CE-02, CE-03, CE-06
Date last updated: 2023-01-02