Periodontics Clerkship SG
Course Director: Diane Daubert
Quarters/Yr of Program: Spring / 3
The periodontics clerkship prepares dental students to provide periodontal therapy within the scope of practice of general dentistry. In the didactic component, students expand their knowledge in preparation for clinical experiences. In the clinical component, students treat patients of a minimal-to-moderate difficulty level. At the end of the clerkship, the student will be able to diagnose periodontal disease, propose an appropriate treatment plan that addresses the patient’s periodontal needs, complete initial periodontal treatment, and determine when a referral to a periodontal specialist is necessary.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Clinically assess patients with periodontal diseases.
2. Accurately identify radiographic findings needed for periodontal disease diagnosis.
3. Design evidence-based treatment plans to address the periodontal needs and desires of dental patients in conjunction with their overall dental health needs.
4. Demonstrate clinical skills and ethical values in periodontal therapy and treatment.
5. Apply surgical concepts from all relevant specialties to prosthodontic procedures.
6. Complete all the steps for the fabrication and delivery of an occlusal/night guard.
7. Demonstrate oral hygiene instruction to patients.
8. Perform periodontal prevention activities, caries risk assessment, and diet analysis on periodontics patients.
9. Accurately self-assess the quality of one’s work.
10. Coordinate care for the management of periodontal diseases.
11. Identify patients in need of periodontal surgery.
12. Manage advanced periodontal lesions.
13. Explain the biology of periodontal regeneration.
14. Demonstrate the use of the correct periodontal instruments for each clinical need.
15. Refer a patient to a periodontal specialist when indicated.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-17, C-18, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-24, C-25, C-26, C-28, C-31, CE-02, CE-03, CE-06
Date last updated: 2023-03-20