Periodontics Clerkship AN
Periodontics Clerkship prepares dental students to provide periodontal therapy within the general dentistry scope of practice. In the didactic component, students expand their knowledge of periodontology in preparation for clinical experiences. In the clinical component, students treat patients including diagnosis, treatment planning and periodontal therapy of minimal-to-moderate difficulty level. At the end of the clerkship, the student dentist will be able to identify and describe the periodontal needs of patients, propose a treatment plan, complete treatment, and determine when to refer to a periodontal specialist.
1. Clinically assess patients with periodontal diseases.
2. Accurately identify radiographic findings for periodontal disease diagnosis.
3. Formulate an evidence-based treatment plan for the periodontal care/treatment of patients.
4. Design treatment plans to address the periodontal needs and desires of the dental patient in conjunction with their overall dental health needs.
5. Demonstrate skills and ethical values in periodontal therapy/treatment.
6. Describe the integration of endodontic, periodontal, orthodontic, and oral surgery concepts in prosthodontic procedures.
7. Explain indications for and the use of dental materials in periodontics dentistry.
8. Demonstrate oral hygiene instruction to patients.
9. Complete all the steps for the fabrication and delivery of an occlusal/night guard.
10. Perform periodontal prevention activities, caries risk assessment, and diet analysis on the periodontics patient.
11. Accurately self-assess the quality of one’s work.
12. Coordinate care for the management of periodontal diseases.
13. Explain the concepts of periodontal surgery.
14. Manage advanced periodontal lesions.
15. Explain the biology of periodontal regeneration.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14,
C-15, C-17, C-18, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-24, C-25, C-26, C-28, C-31, CE02, CE-03, CE-06
Date last updated: 2021-09-27