UW School of Dentistry
Daniel C.N. Chan, DMD, MS, DDS, FADM, FICD
University of Washington
Dept. of Restorative Dentistry
1959 NE Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195-7456
Restorative Dentistry includes the following dental disciplines:
- Dental Materials Science
- Operative Dentistry
- Prosthodontics and Graduate Prosthodontics
Our department is responsible for teaching students how to plan to and treat damage inflicted by oral disease and trauma. We use an integrative approach to teach this complex, ever-changing, and exciting area of dentistry, asking students to draw on and apply their knowledge of basic and social sciences and other clinical disciplines in delivering restorative treatment.
Our educational goals are to:
- provide students with a solid intellectual and technical knowledge of restorative dentistry
- teach students to apply their knowledge to deliver comprehensive dental care within the framework of each patient’s cultural, medical, social and dental condition
- instill the importance of aspiring to excellence and honest self-assessment
- emphasize the importance of life-long learning for the successful practice of dentistry
- teach students to put ethical considerations first in the practice of dentistry
In Restorative Dentistry, we are blessed with a talented faculty who are wholly dedicated to these goals. Our faculty seek to continually grow in their knowledge and skill as academicians, as clinicians, and as teachers. We also strive to contribute to the dental knowledge base through research, continuing education, and publication. Our faculty are internationally known for their skill as teachers and researchers, and serve numerous roles in local, state, and national organizations that promote the highest standards of dentistry and dental education. Our dedicated staff also facilitate excellence in dental education by assisting students and faculty in our mission.
We take great pride in our department and we hope you, our constituents, will take pride in our program as well. Thank you for your ongoing support of Restorative Dentistry. We are here to serve you!