Paul Yager, PhD
Professor and Acting Chair, Bioengineering
Adjunct Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Office: N530J, Foege
Initial projects included work on biosensors, the structure of silk, and use of lipid microstructures for controlled release of pharmaceuticals. He was promoted to Professor in 1995, becoming Vice Chair in 2001. Since 1992, Yager has focused on development of microfluidic devices for the manipulation of biological fluids and the measurement of concentrations of analytes of biological relevance. Support to his laboratory and collaborators has been received from NSF, NIH, DARPA, The Whitaker Foundation, the government of Singapore, and private companies including MesoSystems, Senmed Medical Ventures and Hewlett Packard. The support from Senmed resulted in the creation of Micronics, Inc., a Redmond, WA-based company dedicated to microfluidic solutions for problems in the life sciences and medicine.
The primary goal of current work in his laboratory is decentralization of biomedical diagnostic testing in the developed and developing worlds through a program called Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare. The specific aim is the development of microfluidic devices and systems for optical bioassays. Learn more about Paul Yager.
- Microcontact printed antibodies on gold surfaces: function, uniformity, and silicone contamination, Foley, J., Fu, E., Gamble, L. and Yager, P., Langmuir, 24(7):3628–3635 (2008)
- Experimental and model investigation of the time-dependent 2-dimensional distribution of binding in a herringbone microchannel , Foley, J.O., Mashadi-Hossein, A., Fu, E., Finlayson, B.A., and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 8(4): 557–564 (2008)
- Point-of-care diagnostics for global health. Yager , P., Domingo , G.J., and Gerdes, J., Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 10: 107–144 (2008)
- A method for characterizing adsorption of flowing solutes to microfluidic device surfaces, Hawkins, K. R., Steedman, M. R., Baldwin, R. R., Fu, E., Ghosal, S., and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 7(2), 281–285 (2007)
- SPR imaging-based salivary diagnostics system for the detection of small molecule analytes, Fu, Elain, Chinowsky, T., Nelson, K., Johnston, K., Edwards, T., Helton, K., Grow, J., Miller, J. W., and Yager, P., Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1098: 335–344 (2007)
- Concentration gradient immunoassay I. a rapid immunoassay based on interdiffusion and surface binding in a microchannel, Nelson, K. E., Foley, J. O., and Yager, P., Analytical Chemistry, 79(10): 3542–3548 (2007)
- Concentration gradient immunoassay II. computational modeling for analysis and optimization, Foley, J. O., Nelson, K. E., Mashadi-Hossein, A., Finlayson, B.A., and Yager, P. Analytical Chemistry, 79(10): 3549–3553 (2007)
- Investigation of heterogeneous electrochemical processes using multi-stream laminar flow in a microchannel, Hasenbank, M. S., Fu, E., Nelson, J. B., Schwartz, D. T., and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 7(4): 441–447 (2007)
- Interfacial instabilities affect microfluidic extraction of small molecules from non-Newtonian fluids, Helton, K.L. and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 7(11):1581–1588 (2007)
- Microfluidic lab-on-a-chip for microbial identification on a DNA microarray, Lee, H.H. and Yager, P., Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 12:634–639 (2007)
- Microfluidic diagnostic technologies for global public health, Yager, P., Edwards, T., Fu, E., Helton, K., Nelson, K., Tam, M. and Weigl, B., Nature, 442(7101). 412–418 (2006)
- One-dimensional surface plasmon resonance imaging system using wavelength interrogation, Fu, E., Ramsey, S., Thariani, R., and Yager, P., Review of Scientific Instruments, 77 (7): Art. No. 076106 (2006)
- Recirculating flow accelerates DNA microarray hybridization in a microfluidic device, Lee, H.H., Smoot, J., McMurray, Z., Stahl, D. A., and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 6 (9): 1163–1170 (2006)
- Simple quantitative optical method for monitoring the extent of mixing applied to a novel microfluidic mixer, Munson, M.S. and Yager, P., Analytica Chimica Acta, 501(1), 63-71 (2004)
- Controlled microfluidic reconstitution of functional protein from an anhydrous storage depot, Garcia, E., Kirkham, J. R., Hatch, A.V, Hawkins, K.R. and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 4, 78-82 (2004)
- Characterization of a wavelength-tunable surface plasmon resonance microscope, Fu, E., Chinowsky T., Foley, J., Weinstein J., and Yager, P., Review of Scientific Instruments, 75(7), 2300-2304 (2004).
- Diffusion-based analysis of molecular interactions in microfluidic devices, Hatch, A., Garcia, E. and Yager, P., IEEE Proceedings, 92(1), 126-139 (2004)
- Suppression of non-specific adsorption using sheath flow, Munson, M. S., Hasenbank, M. S., Fu, E. and Yager, P., Lab on a Chip, 4, 438-445 (2004).