Professor, Restorative Dentistry
- DENTPC 535 – (Removable Partial Denture Design/Course Director)
- DENTPC 551 – (Immediate Denture/Course Co-Director)
- PROS 560 – (Graduate – Advanced Removable Prosthodontics/Course Co-Director)
- RESD 588 – (Graduate – Graduate Occlusion/Course Co-Director)
Dr. Zhang held a faculty appointment (Clinical Instructor) in the University of Connecticut before he joined the University of Washington as a tenure-track Assistant Professor. Currently he is a tenured Professor in the Department of Restorative Dentistry. He has served as Vice Chair of the Restorative Dentistry Department and Interim Director of the Graduate Prosthodontics program. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics (ABP) and a Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP). He is a member of the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics (AAFP) where he serves as the Chair of the Tylman Research Committee. He is also the Vice Chair of the ACP Research Committee. Dr. Zhang is a member of the American Dental Association (ADA) where he serves in Test Construction Committees (TCC) for Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) and Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE). He was inducted to be a member and served as national President (2015) of the prestigious Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Dental Honor Society.
Dr. Zhang has received an ACP Geriatric Award, the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) Morita Research Award and NIH/NCRR/ITHS Joint Ignition Award. He has mentored a number of graduate students (MS, MSD and PhD) and visiting scholars. Some of them have received national and international recognitions such as Outstanding Young Investigator Award from the IADR Mineralized Tissue Group, Journal of Endodontics Awards and David Felton Best Clinical Report Award from the Journal of Prosthodontics. Dr. Zhang has published more than 60 peer-reviewed articles and more than 10 book chapters in the areas of dental implantology, clinical Prosthodontics, tissue engineering, dental materials and oral biology. He is a co-inventor of two US patents on biomimetic materials for dental applications.
Dr. Zhang is a Section Editor of the Journal of Prosthodontics, a member of the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, and ad hoc reviewer for many leading professional journals. He is also an invited expert reviewer of a few national research grants in the US and foreign countries. Dr. Zhang has been invited to lecture, moderate or chair in many national and international conferences and numerous CDE courses in the dental schools of the US, China and Southeast Asian countries. Dr. Zhang has a dental license in the State of Washington and works in a part-time private dental office.
Dr. Zhang’s selected publications:
- Yan W, Jiang E, Reteria C, Paranjpe A, Arola D, Liao L, Ren X and Zhang H. Odontoblast apoptosis and intratubular mineralization of sclerotic dentin with aging. Arch Oral Biol, 2022 (accepted).
- Buranaphatthana W, Yavirach A, Leaf EM, Scatena M, Zhang H, An, JY and Giachelli CM. Engineered osteoclasts resorb necrotic alveolar bone in anti-RANKL antibody-treated mice. Bone, 153, 116144, 2021.
- Zhang H, Ramos V, Bratos M, He W and Liu P. Effect of the attachments on clinical outcomes of mandibular distal extension implant-supported removable partial dentures – A systematic review. J Prosthet Dent, Jul 20:S0022-3913(21)00218-3. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.04.008. Online ahead of print, 2021.
- He W, Zhang H and Qiu J. Osteogenic effects of bioabsorbable magnesium implant in rat mandibles and in vitro. J Periodont, 92(8):1181-1191, doi: 10.1002/JPER.20-0162, 2020.
- Zhang H, Chavez MB, Kolli T, Tan MH, Fong H, Chu EY, Li Y, Ren X, Watanabe K, Kim D and Foster BL. Dentoalveolar defects in the Hyp mouse model of X-linked hypophosphatemia. J Dent Res, Apr;99(4):419-428. doi: 10.1177/0022034520901719, 2020.
- Yan W, Montoya C, Øilo M, Ossa AE, Paranjpe A, Zhang H and Arola D. Reduction in fracture resistance of the root with aging. J Endod, 43(9):1494-1498. doi:10.1016/j.joen.2017.04.020, 2017.
- Arola D, Gao S, Zhang H and Masri R. The tooth: Its structure and properties. Dent Clin North Am, 61(4):651–668, 2017.
- Barndt P, Zhang H and Liu F. Immediate loading: from biology to biomechanics. J Prosthet Dent, 113:96-107, 2015.
- Sun J, Horst OV, Bumgarner R, Lakely B, Somerman MJ and Zhang H. Laser capture microdissection (LCM) enables cellular and molecular studies of tooth root development. Int J Oral Sci, 4:7-13, 2012.
- Zhang H, Foster B. Section III (J): Clinical correlates: Mineral metabolism and disruption of dentoalveolar development in a case of craniometaphyseal dysplasia (CMD). In: Mineralized Tissues in Oral and Craniofacial Science: Biological Principles and Clinical Correlates. Editors: Somerman MJ and McCauley L. Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Zhang H, Tompkins KA, Garrigues J, Snead ML, Gibson CW and Somerman MJ. Amelogenin binds to cell surface LAMP-1 on tooth root associated cells. Arch Oral Biol, 55(6):417-425, 2010.
- Zhang H, Hanson F, Giannobile W, and Somerman M. Periodontal tissue engineering. In: Lanza R and Langer R (editors). Principles of Tissue Engineering (3rd edition). San Diego: Academic Press. p1095-1109, 2007.
- Zhang H, Aronow M and Gronowicz G. Transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-β1) prevents the age-dependent decrease in bone formation in human osteoblast/implant cultures. J Biomed Mater Res, 75(1):98-105, 2005.
- Zhang H, Ahmad M and Gronowicz G. Effects of transforming growth factor beta1 on mineralization of human osteoblasts on implant materials in vitro. Biomaterials 24:2013-20, 2003.
Dr. Zhang’s full publication list can be found here. (link: Hai Zhang – Google Scholar)
In his spare time, Dr. Zhang enjoys an array of outdoor activities such as hiking, snowshoeing and gardening. He is also a frequent participant of intramural recreational volleyball league games.