Due to the large number of applications received, we do not immediately notify applicants about the status of their application. However, you are welcome to e-mail Ms. Sanders-Sheats to inquire about the receipt of your materials. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their application is complete by our deadline.
Applicants must apply through ADEA PASS and must also register with the National Matching Service. Application packets are available from the ADEA PASS system May through August.
- Department Program Firm Deadline: August 15, 2022.
- PASS/MATCH Deadline: Please refer to the ADEA PASS website
Qualified applicants have a dental degree or are in the final year of dental school. They should have a GPA of 3.0 (“B”) or better.
How to Apply
1. PASS Application
Application must be made to Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS)
PASS deadline: Please refer to the ADEA PASS website
Request application materials from PASS
You will be given instructions for materials required. These materials will be processed and automatically forwarded to the UW Department of Orthodontics by PASS.
- The 2023 ADEA PASS application cycle opens May 12, 2022.
- Attach all application materials online in PASS.
- Dental School Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Professional Evaluation Forms (PEFs), which are similar to traditional letters of evaluation, are required.
- A minimum of three PEFs and a maximum of five PEFs can be submitted via the PASS online application.
- Current GRE Scores – valid up to 5 years after test date (self-enter)
- TOEFL Scores – international applicants only (self-enter)
- The Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) will be optional for the application cycle in 2022.
2. National Matching Program
Phone: 716.282.4013 or Phone: 800.461.6322
Go to the National Matching Program website and follow instructions. You must also register with the National Matching Service. Application packets are available from ADEA PASS May through August.
3. Materials sent directly to the UW Department of Orthodontics
Please request that the following official documents be sent directly from the parent institution to the Department of Orthodontics, at the following address:
University of Washington
School of Dentistry
Department of Orthodontics
1959 NE Pacific St., D-569
Seattle, WA 98195-7446
Attn: Graduate Orthodontics Program Application
- Pre-dental (undergraduate) transcript
- Dental School transcript
- GRE general test document (valid for up to 5 years after test date) For electronic submissions of GRE scores, the code for the University of Washington is 4854, the Major Field code is 0604, Dentistry and Oral Sciences.
- The ETS TOEFL code is 2305 for University of Washington School of Dentistry. https://www.ets.org/toefl
- TOEFL document required for International applicants only – TOEFLiBT minimum score of 92 or 580 on paper exam
Include all transcripts and other documents online in PASS. Do not email transcripts or other documents. Institutions can send secure online electronic transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send official dental school transcripts via a method that provides tracking/delivery confirmation. If mailing transcripts or other documents directly to our program, we strongly recommend sending via a carrier that provides tracking info and delivery confirmation. Applicants can submit National Board Exam results if they have them, especially those who have attended US dental schools. NBDE or INBDE results are not required to apply to our program.
4. Application fee of $50.00 (USD)
Application fee online credit card payment via the link below:
We no longer accept checks, money orders, cashier’s checks or international bank drafts for payment of the application fee.
The application fee must be paid before the application deadline by each applicant who applies or re-applies to our program.
5. Review of Application
Complete applications will be reviewed by members of our selection committee in September. If you are selected as a candidate, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail to arrange for a personal interview.
6. Personal Interview
Monday, October 10, 2022 will be our program Interview Day. This is the only interview date for our program.
Details will be communicated to applicants if selected for a personal interview. Approximately twenty-four applicants will be invited for a full day interview process with faculty and students.
The Matching Service establishes the final class of five students, with results being announced at the beginning of December. For those 5 who match, an additional application must be made to:
Application to the UW Graduate School (and payment of the Graduate School $85 application fee), is only after acceptance to our program. Every candidate who matches is required to attend our program, and we will pursue a criminal background check.
Throughout the year, we get many requests for unofficial visits from individuals interested in applying to our Graduate Orthodontics Program. Because we have a limited amount of time to assist with these requests, and because we wish to be as fair as possible to all potential candidates, we have a policy of discouraging these visits. We officially invite viable candidates for a full day visit during our interview day, which is conducted each year in the fall after reviewing PASS applications.
To re-apply and reactivate your application to the UW Graduate Program in Orthodontics, you must complete the entire PASS application process again and register with the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program again. You do not need to provide any additional materials to the department to resubmit your application for the class entering in June 2023. However, if you wish to submit additional letters of recommendation, or any other material to update your application, you are welcome to do so.
Licensure Disclosure Information
Please consult the table on the UW School of Dentistry DDS Admissions page.