Medically Complex Pediatric Patient Care – Selective
Course Director: Anna Forsyth
Quarters/Yr of Program: Summer / 4
Elevates clinical management skills for pediatric dental patients with special healthcare needs. Students assist, observe, and provide clinical care to pediatric patients with medically complex conditions.
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Perform basic Review of Systems for a dental patient.
- Modify dental treatment plans according to individualized patient special healthcare needs.
- Describe clinical features of patients with trisomy 21, autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, and congenital cardiac malformations.
- Identify patients requiring infective endocarditis prophylaxis.
- Prescribe infective endocarditis prophylaxis for pediatric patients.
- Describe the use of patient stabilization according to AAPD best practice guidelines.
Date last updated: 2022-12-14