Duties of the designated HIPAA contact person for each department
The department contact works with the SOD Training Coordinator to:
- Provide the Training Coordinator with required information (see #3 below).
- Remind trainees to complete training if needed.
- Notify IT department of HIPAA training completion if also requesting axiUm access (see #6).
HIPAA compliance is a federal legal requirement and UW policy; individuals will be considered noncompliant if they have not done the training within 30 days of the hire/start date and access to patient information/clinics will then be denied.
Determining HIPAA training needs
Volunteers take their HIPAA training via the UW SOD Learning Management System. Register them as you would any other employee, using the SODIT help desk form. Indicate whether their duties will be clinical or non-clinical.
Crediting previous HIPAA Training taken by workforce members
HIPAA training completed at the following UW affiliated institutions transfers to the SOD:
- UW Medical Center (UWMC)
- Harborview Medical Center (HMC)
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA)
- University of Washington Physicians (UWP)
- UW Physicians Network (UWPN)
- Training completed at other outside organizations will be considered according to these rules regarding prior HIPAA training.
Requesting HIPAA training
HIPAA training is assigned like any other training in the SOD Learning Management System. Hiring managers should complete the SODIT form for new employees and send it to the Help Desk for activation. The employee’s training will be assigned automatically within the learning management system based on their role.
HIPAA Records Requests
Faculty, Staff and Students can print out copies of their own HIPAA (and other) proof of completions via the learning management system.