All candidates must submit an application through the Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) which is run by ADEA. More information regarding CAAPID can be found on the ADEA website – CAAPID Website.
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. It is strongly suggested that applicants complete the CAAPID application as early as possible to remain competitive. Qualified candidates will be issued a secondary application directly from the UWIDDS program. Bench testing and Interview sessions will be conducted in the Spring of 2022. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified as early as possible to accommodate ease in travel scheduling.
Upon submission of the CAAPID application, please send the following supporting documentation in an envelope clearly marked with the candidates CAAPID number, name, current address, email and phone number: 1) Notarized copy of Dental Degree, 2) Appropriate fees.
1. APPLICATION Applicants are responsible for providing all required forms and supporting documents to both CAAPID and the UWIDDS office by the posted deadline dates. Do not submit your transcripts directly to the program until you are requested to do so. (Please see #6. below.) Please note that receipt of official school-certified transcripts directly from foreign dental schools attended, are a legal requirement. They must be on file for all admitted students at the UWIDDS office.
2. APPLICATION FEE A $185 non-refundable application fee, should be submitted directly to the UWIDDS program with your supporting documentation. The fee should be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order only. NO personal checks will be accepted. Please clearly write your name and/or CAAPID number on your payment.
3. PERSONAL STATEMENT AND DENTAL EXPERIENCE Please provide dental education experiences, dental related activities, and professional goals as part of the CAAPID application.
4. DENTAL DEGREE A notarized copy of the foreign dental degree of the applicant must be submitted directly to the UWIDDS office with your supporting documentation. If in a language other than English the dental degree must be accompanied by a notarized translation from a bona fide U.S. translator.
5. OFFICIAL COURSE-BY-COURSE DENTAL SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION An original Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or (WES) course-by-course evaluation of the applicant’s dental school transcript will be accepted. Please make sure the document submitted is “Course-by Course Evaluation” and is issued directly to CAAPID from the evaluating agencies office.
6. OFFICIAL SCHOOL CERTIFIED TRANSCRIPT If admitted into the program, an official school transcript must be sent directly from the applicant’s foreign dental school to the UWIDDS office. The official school certified transcripts and all application documents become the property of the University of Washington and are not returnable. Please do not submit until you are directed to do so.
7. NATIONAL BOARD DENTAL EXAMINATION (NBDE)- PART I and PART 2 NBDE must be directly reported through CAAPID. Please do not send reports directly to the school. A passing score is required for consideration. The NBDE scores submitted must be earned within the past five years, and must be received prior to the closing deadline for consideration.
8. TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TOEFL) Proficiency in English is necessary for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. No waivers of this English proficiency preference may be given. Internet based TOEFLibt scores must be submitted directly through CAAPID.
9. THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation directly through the CAAPID portal. These letters must be written in English on the recommender’s letterhead and contain full contact information. The letters should be written within 12 months of the date of the submission of the application. Letters may be written by a Dean, an Associate Dean, Department Chair, or Faculty member at the applicant’s former dental school. At least one of the letters should be written by a dental professional who has worked with the applicant within the last 12 months. Telephone and address contact information for these individuals should be provided on the letters. The letter should address the candidate’s strongest and weakest characteristics and indicate class ranking when possible. Note: We will only accept the three letters you provide to CAAPID – do not send additional letters to the school.
10. A CURRENT CV
In summary, the following supporting documentation should be sent after the submission of the CAAPID application directly to UWIDDS, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Room D322, Box 356365, Seattle, WA 98195-6365:
- Notarized copy of diploma
- $185 Application fee – money order or cashier’s check made payable to UWIDDS (no personal checks)