All candidates must submit an application through the Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) which is run by ADEA. More information regarding CAAPID can be found on the ADEA website – CAAPID Website.
Application for the 2023-2024 cycle will open on March 1, 2023 and close on June 1, 2023. It is strongly suggested that applicants complete the CAAPID application as early as possible.
Bench testing and Interview sessions will be conducted in the Summer of 2023. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified as early as possible to accommodate ease in travel scheduling.
- APPLICATION Applicants are responsible for providing all required forms and supporting documents to both CAAPID and the UWIDDS office by the posted deadline dates. Do not submit your transcripts directly to the program until you are requested to do so. (Please see #6. below.) Please note that receipt of official school-certified transcripts directly from foreign dental schools attended, are a legal requirement. They must be on file for all admitted students at the UWIDDS office. These transcripts will be requested upon offer of admission.
- FEE A non-refundable $185 application fee should be submitted directly to the University of Washington School of Dentistry through our electronic payment portal. Please select the IDDS application fee from the drop down menu. Upon completion send a copy of your receipt with your full name and CAAPID ID number in the subject line to: email@example.com.
- PERSONAL STATEMENT AND DENTAL EXPERIENCE Please provide dental education experiences, dental related activities, employment, volunteer activities and professional goals as part of the CAAPID application. Follow the instructions in as indicated within the CAAPID application. Changes cannot be made once the application has been submitted.
- DENTAL DEGREE A copy of your dental degree translated if necessary into English must be uploaded. If you are selected for our program, a notarized copy of an original diploma will be required.
- OFFICIAL COURSE BY COURSE DENTAL SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION Please request the course by course comprehensive evaluation from either ECE – Educational Credential Evaluators or WES World Education Services. The report should be uploaded directly to CAAPID from the evaluating agencies office.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT If admitted to the program, a certified transcript from ALL schools attended will be required. These documents should be sent sealed directly from the educational institutions to the University of Washington’s IDDS program office. All documents become property of the University of Washington and are not returnable. Please do not submit original transcripts until you are directed to do so.
- NATIONAL BOARD DENTAL EXAMINATION (INBDE) Successful Completion of the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) Parts I and II, or the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) within the past five years.
- TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TOEFL) Proficiency in English is necessary, all classes are conducted in English. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. No waivers of this English proficiency preference may be given. A score of 100 or higher is strongly recommended on the Internet Based Exam. TOEFL ibt scores must be submitted directly through CAAPID. Home based or best result TOEFL are not accepted.
- THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation directly through the CAAPID portal. These letters must be written in English on the recommender’s letterhead and contain full contact information. The letters should be written within 12 months of the date of the submission of the application. Letters may be written by a Dean, an Associate Dean, Department Chair, or Faculty member at the applicant’s former dental school. At least one of the letters should be written by a dental professional who has worked with the applicant within the last 12 months. Telephone and address contact information for these individuals should be provided on the letters. The letter should address the candidate’s strongest and weakest characteristics and indicate class ranking when possible. Note: We will only accept the three letters you provide to CAAPID – do not send additional letters to the school.
- CURRICULUM VITAE CV Please download and utilize the CV template provided here (PDF)