DDS/PhD combined training is available for students committed to an academic or research career in dentistry and dental research. This is a 7 year program combining the DDS curriculum with a PhD in Oral Biology.
- Educate committed individuals for future academic positions in a manner that provides the best possible dual training and minimizes debt load.
- Students will have an opportunity to have continued clinical practice so there is no break in use of clinical skills.
- Students finishing this program will be prepared to go into clinical specialty training after completing their PhD This will prepare them for faculty positions and give an excellent opportunity to connect their research training and clinical experience.
- Keeps normal dental curriculum intact for years 1-4
- Takes advantage of already existing SURF program for entering students the first year.
- Additional course work in summers during SURF program and other quarters as arranged.
- DDS to be conferred in spring of year 4.
- Clinical experience to continue in years 5-7 via Intramural Practice or other arrangement.
- Financial support available; details will be arranged each year.
- Students may be eligible for funding by an NIH training grant beginning the 1st or 2nd year. This would provide a stipend and partial tuition costs.
- Students are strongly encouraged to apply for an individual DDS/PhD fellowship through NIH. The best timing would be submission of the application beginning their 4th year.
|Summer 0-1||SURF Research (rotation 1)
|Academic year 1||Normal Dental Curriculum|
|Summer 1-2||SURF Research (rotation 2)
Molecular Biology Class
|Academic year 2||Normal Dental Curriculum||Identify PhD mentor|
|Summer 2- 3||Normal Dental Curriculum||National Boards Part I|
|Academic year 3||Normal Dental Curriculum|
|Summer 3 – 4||Normal Dental Curriculum||National Boards Part II|
|Academic year 4||Normal Dental Curriculum
ORALB 600, Independent Research
(write research proposal)
|DDS – spring
WRBoards – sum
End of year 4
|Academic year 5||PhD Coursework & Research|
|Academic year 6
|PhD Research||PhD General Exam
(winter – spring)
|Academic year 7
|PhD Research||PhD Defense
Approx end of year 7
Note: This is a general outline of the DDS/PhD curriculum and may vary depending on the individual student, for example, didactic and clinical performance, research progress, etc.
Following is a summary of the PhD required coursework for the Program. It is not as extensive as the PhD only Program.
|Required PhD Coursework||CONJ Courses|
|Any two courses – includes PABIO 536
3 credits minimum required
|DPHS 568 – Biostatistics|
|ORALB 575 – Seminar (repeating)||Any Two Courses from the Following|
|ORALB 578 – Research Techniques|
|ORALB 579 – Molecular Microbiology||ORALB 569 – Oral Microbiology|
|ORALB 580 – Molecular Biology Laboratory||ORALB 581 – Secretory Process in Exocrine Glands|
|ORALB 600 – Independent Study/Research||ORALB 591 – Craniofacial Development|
|ORALB 800 – Dissertation (27 credits needed)|
See the PhD course listings for detailed information regarding the above courses and available electives.