Research Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Director, SURF Research Program, School of Dentistry
- Gingival innate immunity
- Titanate-metal complexes as novel antimicrobials in dentistry (US Patent registered in 2013)
- Epigenetic regulations in periodontal health and disease
- Biological effects of dental metal alloys in oral tissues
- Role of T2R38 taste receptor in oral immunity
- Yin, L., and W.O. Chung. 2011. Epigenetic regulation of gingival innate immune responses to oral bacteria. Mucosal Immunology, 4(4):409-419.
- Chung, W.O., J. Wataha, D. Hobbs, J. An, J. Wong, C. Park, M. Elvington and B. Rutherford. 2011. Peroxotitanate and monosodium metal-titanate compounds as inhibitors of bacterial growth. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 97(3):348-354.
- Chung, W.O., H. Dommisch and M.G. Rohani, in M. Fournier (Ed.), Perspectives on pattern recognition. Nova Science Publishers, 2011.
- Chung, W.O., J.C. Wataha and D.T. Hobbs, in A. Mendez-Vilas (Ed.), Science against microbial pathogens: communicating current research and technological advances. Formatex, 2011.
- Kretschmar, S., L. Yin, F.A. Roberts, R. London, T.T. Flemmig, D. Arushanov, K. Kaiyala and W.O. Chung. 2012. Protease inhibitor levels in periodontal health and disease. Journal of Periodontal Research, 47(2):228-35.
- Li, L., J. C. Wataha, C. Cate, H. Zhang, D. DiJulio and W.O. Chung. 2012. Ni(II) alters the NFkB signaling pathway in monocytic cells. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 100(4):934-939.
- Wataha, J.C., J.L. Drury and W.O. Chung. 2013. Nickel alloys in the oral environment. Expert Review of Medical Devices 10(4):519–539.
- Chung, W.O. 2013. Therapeutic potentials of antimicrobial peptides. Bioanalysis and Biomedicine.
- Chen, Y-W., J.L. Drury, W.O. Chung, D.T. Hobbs and J.C. Wataha. 2014. Titanates and titanate-metal compounds in biological contexts. Advances in Biomaterials.