Professor Emeritus, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Academic Contact: 206.543.7722
Dr. O. Ross Beirne is currently Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Washington, School of Dentistry and Chief of Hospital Dentistry at the University of Washington Medical Center. He was formerly Assistant Professor and Associate Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco from 1979-1985 and Associate Professor and Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at the University of Washington from 1985-1999. He served as Chair of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Washington from 1999 to 2010. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology. He served on the Examination Committee of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from 1997-2001. He is a Fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. He is a founding member of the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology.
Honors include election to Phi Beta Kappa, University of California, Berkeley, Omicron Kappa Upsilon, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and the American College of Dentists. He is the recipient of the 2008 AAOMS/ADEA Gies Award for distinguished achievements in oral surgery. He is an Associate Editor for the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants and the Journal of Oral Implantology and member of the Editorial Boards of Anesthesia Progress, the Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice and Oral Surgery. He is an ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology and the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He is chair of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Foundation’s Committee on Research.
While continuing to be engaged in several research projects related to oral and maxillofacial surgery, anesthesiology, and implantology, Dr. Beirne also devotes considerable time and effort to teaching at both the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels.
- Reconstructive surgery
- TMJ surgery
- Maxillary sinus augmentation
- Anesthesia- protocol for outpatient oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Evidenced-based clinical decision making
- Beirne OR. Patients differ in the amount of information they want to know about risks and complications before consenting to treatment J Evid Based Den. Pract 11:109-111, 2011.
- Beirne OR. Open reduction with interval fixation of moderately displaced mandible fractures is not a cost-effective alternative to closed reduction with maxillomandibular fixation J Evid Based Dent Pract 10:101-102, 2010.
- Yu SH, Beirne OR. Laryngeal mask airways have a lower risk of airway complications compared with endotracheal intubation: A systematic Review J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:2359-2376, 2010.
- Kao RT, Murakami KS, Beirne OR. The use of biologic mediators and tissue engineering in dentistry Periodont 2000 50:127-153, 2009.
- Carter TG, Brar PS, Tolas A, Beirne OR. Off-label use of recombinant human bone morophogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) bio-implant for reconstruction of mandibular defects in humans J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1417-1425, 2008.
- Griffitts TM, Collins, CP, Collins, PC, Beirne OR. The Walker repair of the temporomandibular joint: A retrospective evaluation of 111 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1958-1962, 2007.
- Carter TG, Dierks EJ, Bracis R., Beirne OR. Community acquired methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus facial abscesses: Case reports J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1021-1025, 2005.
- Beirne OR. Evidence to continue oral anticoagulant therapy for ambulatory oral surgery J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:540-545, 2005.
- Beirne OR. Dyspnea in Medical Emergencies in Dentistry, J Bennett, M B Rosenberg (eds) WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Chapter 5, pp.97-104, 2002.
- Beirne OR. Osseointegrated Implant Systems in Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol.II Peterson, LJ, Indresano AT, Marciani RD, Roser SM (eds) JB Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, Chapter 44, pp 1133-1154, 1992.
- Beirne OR, Lum, LB. The Core-Vent Implant: Clinical and Histological Studies in Clark’s Clinical Dentistry, Harding F (ed.), JP Lippincott Co, Philadelphia, Chapter 46A, pp1-13, 1989.
- Smith RA, Beirne, OR. The Use of Nitrous Oxide by Dentists in Nitrous Oxide/N20 Eger EI (ed.), Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Inc. New York, pp 281-304, 1985.