Christy McKinney, PhD, MPH
Adjunct Associate Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Christy McKinney, PhD, MPH is an Associate Professor in Craniofacial Medicine, Pediatrics in the School of Medicine and an Adjunct Associate Professor in Oral Health Sciences, School of Dentistry. She is also an investigator in Seattle Children’s Research Institute’s Center for Child Health, Behavior and Development, and in the Seattle Children’s Hospital Craniofacial Center. She received her PhD (2006) in epidemiology from the University of Washington.
Dr. McKinney’s research interests are focused on the intersection of craniofacial, oral, and nutritional health in young children, both locally and globally. She is the principal investigator of a R01 grant from NIDCR investigating the extent to which children are exposed to the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA) during dental treatment. She also spearheaded the development of the NIFTY™ cup – an infant feeding cup for infants with breastfeeding difficulties (e.g. infants with oral clefts and preterm infants) in low resource settings – with a team of multidisciplinary experts from Seattle Children’s, the University of Washington, PATH, and Laerdal Global Health with clinical testing at Sri Ramachandra University, India.
Dr. McKinney is also the Director of the Summer Institute in Clinical Dental Research Methods at the University of Washington, School of Dentistry and Associate Director of the Institute of Translational Sciences (ITHS) KL2 Career Development program, which trains career development KL2 Scholars through weekly seminars and small group sessions.
- McKinney CM, Pisek A, Chowchuen B, Pisek A, DeRouen T, Muktabhant B, Yeung C, Pitiphat W. A case control study of nutritional and environmental factors and the risk of oral clefts. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 2016, Vol. 106, pp.624-632.
- McKinney CM, Glass R, Coffey P, Rue T, Cunningham M. Feeding neonates and young infants by cup: A systematic review of the literature. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2016, Vol. 20, No. 8, pp.1620-1633.
- McKinney CM, Rue T, Sathyanarayana S, Martin M, Seminario AL, DeRouen T. Dental Sealants and Urinary Bisphenol A Concentrations in Children in the 2003-2004 NHANES. Journal of the American Dental Association, 2014, Vol. 145, No. 7, pp.745-50.
- Nirunsittirat, A*, Pitiphat, W, McKinney CM, DeRouen, TA, Chansamak N, Angwaravong, O, Patcharanuchat P, Pimpak T. Breastfeeding duration and childhood caries: a cohort study. Caries Research, 2016, Vol 50, No. 5, pp. 498-507.
- Seattle Children’s Hospital 2015 Academic Report. Inquiry to Action. Low-Tech Fix to Deadly Issue. March 30, 2016.