Cecilia Giachelli, PhD
Adjunct Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Office: N-330L, Foege
Current projects include:
- Identifying and applying biomimetic strategies to cell-substrate interactions important for promoting endothelial survival and angiogenesis particularly in the context of biomaterial healing,
- Biomolecular control of the foreign body reaction, with particular emphasis on the macrophage-mediated inflammatory response to biomaterials
- Mechanistic studies aimed at developing novel therapeutic targets and approaches for preventing ectopic calcification in disease and medical devices
- Cardiac valve and esophageal tissue engineering.
- Rajachar R, Truong A, Giachelli CM. The influence of surface mineral and osteopontin on the formation and function of murine bone marrow macrophage derived osteoclasts, J Biomed Mater Res, J Mater Sci Mat med, 2008.
- M. Linnes, B.D. Ratner, C.M. Giachelli. A Fibrinogen Based Precision Microporous Scaffold for Tissue Engineering: Development and Characterization. Biomaterials, 28(35):5298-306, 2007.
- Beckstead, B.L. and C.M. Giachelli. “Mimicking cell-cell interactions at the biomaterial-cell interface” J Biomed Mater Res A. 2006 Oct; 79(1):94-103.
- Li X, Ying-Yang H, Giachelli CM. Role of the Sodium Dependent Phosphate Cotransporter, Pit-1, in Vascular Smooth Muscle Calcification. Circ Res. 2006 98:905-12, 2006.
- Tsai A, Rice J, Liaw L, Ratner B, Giachelli CM. Osteopntin reduces foreign body giant cell formation in response to biomaterial implantation. Biomaterials, 26:5835-43, 2005.
- Ohri R, Tung E, Rajachar R, Giachelli CM. Mitigation of ectopic calcification in osteopontin-deficient mice by exogenous osteopontin: efficacy, potency and mechanism. Calcified Tissue Intl, 76:307-15, 2005.
- Cuy JL, Beckstead BL, Brown CD, Hoffman AS, Giachelli CM. Adhesive protein interactions with chitosan: consequences for valve endothelial cell growth on tissue-engineering materials. J Biomed Mater Res, 67A: 538-547, 2003.
- Wiester LM, Giachelli CM. Expression and function of the integrin, a9b1, in bovine aortic valve interstitial cells. J Heart Valve Disease, 12: 605-616, 2003.
- Speer MY, McKee MD, Guldberg RE, Liaw L, Yang HY, Tung E, Karsenty G, Giachelli CM. Inactivation of the osteopontin gene enhances vascular calcification of matrix gla protein-deficient mice: evidence for osteopontin as an inducible inhibitor of vascular calcification in vivo. J Exp Med 196: 1047-1055, 2002.
- Steitz SA, McKee MD, Liaw L, Giachelli CM. Osteopontin inhibits mineral deposition and promotes regression of ectopic calcification. Amer J Path 16:2035-2046, 2002.