UW School of Dentistry

Endodontics Clinic

Endodontic Patient in chair

The University of Washington School of Dentistry in Seattle provides endodontics procedures including root canals in our Graduate Endodontics and Faculty Practice Clinics.

The Graduate Endodontics Clinic offers endodontic treatment at reduced fees to patients who provide good teaching experience for the students.

The Faculty Practice Endodontics Clinic offers endodontic treatment by participating faculty endodontists to patients who prefer treatment by experienced faculty members, desire faster entry into treatment, or who are not offered treatment in the graduate clinic.


Endodontics Clinic

How do I become a patient in the UW Endodontic Clinic?

Appointments are by referral only; a referral must be mailed to our clinic, along with a periapical (PA) x-ray of the tooth requiring treatment. Once the referral has been received, a faculty member will review the x-ray to determine if it is an appropriate teaching case. Not all cases are accepted for treatment. If accepted for treatment, a letter will be sent to you explaining how to make an appointment. This screening process generally takes 2-3 weeks. Because the demand for endodontic treatment greatly exceeds our ability to provide care, there may be a wait of a few weeks to several months for an appointment.

Who will provide my endodontic care?

Depending on the complexity of your case you will be assigned to one of two clinics:

  • Graduate Clinic – licensed dentists (graduate students) receiving specialty training
  • Undergraduate Clinic – third or fourth year dental students

I have other teeth that need dental work – can my endodontic student do that also?

Our clinic is equipped for endodontic (root canal) treatment only. Acceptance to the Endodontic Clinic does not guarantee acceptance to the School of Dentistry clinics for ongoing care. Please call 206.616.6996 to schedule a screening appointment with the School of Dentistry or visit our Dental Student Clinics page.

What can I expect at my first appointment?

Your first appointment will consist of diagnostic testing and further x-rays to confirm the need for endodontic treatment. Your student dentist will review the planned treatment and fees. If time allows, treatment may begin. Patients under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.


Patients who require Endodontic (root canal) services are seen in room B-470 on the fourth floor of the B-Wing. To find the Endodontics clinic, please visit our location and directions page.

Endodontics Faculty Practice

Meet Our Endodontist

Avina Paranjpe BDS, MS, MSD, PhD

Dr. ParanjpeDr. Avina Paranjpe graduated with her BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) degree from the Mumbai University, India in 2000. She was in private practice in Mumbai, India from 2000-2002 after which she obtained her Master’s degree (MS) and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Oral Biology, Immunology from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2004 and 2007 respectively. Dr. Paranjpe earned her Master of Science in Dentistry (MSD) and Certificate in Endodontics from the University of Washington Graduate Endodontics Program in August 2009 after which she joined the faculty at the University of Washington, School of Dentistry as Assistant Professor. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics. Dr. Paranjpe is involved in several ongoing research projects related to dental materials and regenerative Endodontics. She has numerous publications in the area of pulpal regeneration and revascularization, immunology, compatibility of biomaterials.

Dr. Paranjpe is a member of the American Association of Endodontists (AAE), American Dental Association (ADA) and the International Association of Dental Research (IADR).

What is Endodontics?

Endodontics is the specialty of dentistry that deals with the tooth pulp and tissues surrounding the root of a tooth. The pulp, which contains nerves; arterioles and venules as well as lymphatic tissue and fibrous tissue, can become diseased or injured and thus is unable to repair itself. The pulp then dies and endodontic or root canal treatment is required. General dentists may provide root canal therapy or they may refer difficult treatment cases to an endodontist for specialty care.

For information on root canal treatment and other endodontic procedures, please visit the American Association of Endodontists‘ website.

Visit our academic department of endodontics