Introduction to Pediatric Dentistry
Course Director: Anna Forsyth
Quarters/Yr of Program: Spring / 2
Using lectures and laboratory sessions, this course introduces students to the main clinical aspects of pediatric dentistry. By the end of the course, students will have a basic understanding of pediatric dentistry and be ready to provide clinical pediatric dental care in the pediatric dentistry clerkship.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Describe the role of pediatric dentistry in the overall well-being of children.
2. Identify the types of behavior guidance in pediatric dentistry.
3. Describe effective communication with families, including professional awareness of diversity and cultural competency.
4. Describe care modifications and accommodations used to provide dental care for children with special healthcare needs.
5. Explain the risk factors for early childhood caries.
6. Describe current guidelines for fluoride therapy.
7. Describe the evidence-based use of pit and fissure sealants.
8. Describe the chronology of the development of human dentition.
9. Describe the concepts for the use of space maintenance.
10. Demonstrate basic concepts of cavity preparation in the primary dentition.
11. Describe indications for rubber dam utilization in pediatric dentistry.
12. Describe the restorative dental materials in pediatric dentistry.
13. Describe the indications for use of stainless-steel-crown procedures in primary teeth.
14. Explain the use of pulp therapy in the primary dentition.
15. Determine how to use local anesthesia safely for pediatric patients.
16. Explain prevention and treatment of traumatic injuries in the primary dentition.
17. Demonstrate the technique of preparing a stainless-steel crown.
18. Demonstrate clinical preparation of primary molar pulpotomy.
19. Calculate dosages of medications used in dentistry for pediatric patients.
UWSOD Competencies: C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-08, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-15, C-16, C-17, C-18, C-19, C-23, C-26, C-27, C-30, C-31, CE-02, CE-06
Date last updated: 2023-03-20