Comprehensive General Dentistry 3
Course Director: Andy Marashi
Quarters/Yr of Program: Winter / 4
UWSOD faculty members will mentor and supervise senior dental students in this clinical course that includes all disciplines and phases of general dentistry. Students will develop a sound philosophy of comprehensive patient care applicable to the establishment of a future evidence-based general practice. Students will also review modules on a variety of topics within oral health care and submit two competency portfolio assessments towards their graduation requirements.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Provide evidence-based oral health care while employing critical-thinking skills.
2. Apply scientific and lay literature as they relate to treatment-related decisions.
3. Demonstrate advanced attributes of professionalism, including the ability to self-assess, make ethical decisions, develop professional competencies, and utilize lifelong learning.
4. Apply biomedical science knowledge in the delivery of patient care.
5. Provide patient-centered oral health care by applying behavioral science principles.
6. Provide oral health care in compliance with ethical healthcare principles and the laws, regulations, and policies of the profession.
7. Lead a multicultural oral healthcare team to provide comprehensive dental care to a diverse patient population.
8. Provide patient-centered oral healthcare as a member of a interdisciplinary healthcare team.
9. Provide risk assessment, prevention, and management strategies for dental caries, periodontal disease, and head-and-neck cancer.
10. Develop sequenced and staged patient-centered comprehensive dental treatment plans including appropriate referrals.
11. Manage oral and maxillofacial diseases and conditions to establish and maintain health.
12. Replace missing teeth using removable, fixed, and/or implant-borne prostheses.
13. Administer appropriate anesthesia and control pain and anxiety during the provision of oral healthcare.
14. Ensure the continued quality of treatment by performing post-treatment evaluations and end-of- treatment exams.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-08, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-16, C-17, C-19, C-24, C-28, C-29, C-30, C-31, CE-01, CE-02, CE-03, CE-04, CE-06, CE-07
Date last updated: 2023-01-02