Course Director: Bruce Silverstein
Quarters/Yr of Program: Winter / 1
This course will give students an integrated knowledge of the body’s circulatory system. They will study the complete cardiovascular system with a focus on the physiology and pathophysiology of disease states. A firm foundation in this system is key to recognizing the synergy of human health and disease with the practice of general dentistry.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Describe the external and internal morphology of the heart and the aorta and its major branch vessels.
2. Use anatomical specimens, medical imaging, and living adults to explain key anatomical relationships between the heart and major blood vessels, and the structures and landmarks that surround them.
3. Describe the normal physiology of the cardiovascular system.
4. Identify connections between pathophysiologic and histopathologic abnormalities and the major disease processes affecting the heart and vascular system.
5. Interpret clinical, laboratory, radiographic, and histopathologic data to identify the major disease processes affecting the cardiovascular system.
6. Identify the etiology, epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, diagnostic features, prevention, treatment and prognosis of major diseases and conditions of the cardiac systems, including implications for the practice of dental medicine.
7. Outline a treatment approach, including pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic measures, for the major disease processes affecting the heart and vascular system.
8. Relate the mechanism of action for major classes of drugs to the pathophysiology of the major diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
9. Interpret clinical and other diagnostic information, recognizing the side effects and primary toxicities of the major classes of drugs used to treat diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
10. Recognize a cardiac emergency in a dental patient.
11. Describe how cardiac diseases affect the oral cavity and the provision of dental care.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-03, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-17, C-28, C-31, CE-02, CE-03, CE-06, CE-07
Date last updated: 2023-01-02