Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics Clerkship
Course Director: Anna Forsyth & Burcu Bayirli
Quarters/Yr of Program: Autumn, Winter, Spring / 3
This clerkship prepares dental students to demonstrate emerging skills in comprehensive care for pediatric dental patients in the areas of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment planning at the beginner level.
This clerkship prepares dental students to recognize and manage malocclusion, primarily by diagnosing and treatment planning malocclusions.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Diagnose treatment needs for pediatric patients.
2. Demonstrate charting medical and dental information relevant to pediatric patient care.
3. Prescribe radiographic images of pediatric patients following AAPD guidelines.
4. Interpret radiographic images of pediatric patients.
5. Practice caries risk assessment according to AAPD guidelines.
6. Provide individualized patient anticipatory guidance according to AAPD guidelines.
7. Provide non-pharmacologic behavior management for pediatric patients following the AAPD guidelines.
8. Administer pain control with the appropriate use of local anesthetics in pediatric patients.
9. Diagnose correct indications for pulp therapy in primary and young permanent teeth according to AAPD guidelines.
10. Formulate treatment plans for dental trauma of the primary and young permanent teeth according to AAPD guidelines.
11. Prescribe common pediatric medications used in dentistry following AAPD guidelines.
12. Demonstrate diagnosis and treatment planning of dental care for pediatric patients with special care needs.
13. Complete accurate and timely chart documentation and record keeping.
14. Evaluate dental development, morphology, tooth eruption, and related pathologies.
15. Formulate dental and orthodontic treatment plans that may include referral to specialists to best meet patient needs.
16. Recognize malocclusion and the need for orthodontic treatment.
17. Evaluate growth, development, and management of the developing occlusion.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-04, C-06, C-07, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-17, C-18, C-19, C-23, C-27, C-30, CE-05
Date last updated: 2023-01-02