Operative Dentistry Clerkship SG
Operative dentistry plays a key role in disease control and the integration of comprehensive care in patient treatment. Students will diagnose and treat conditions of the human dentition that fall within the scope of operative dentistry. Emphasis is placed on preventive therapies for caries. In the daily clinical environment, the student and faculty will utilize the patient-assessment and treatment-planning process to ensure preventive and restorative procedures provided are appropriate for the patient’s comprehensive care.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Use the patient assessment and treatment planning processes when providing comprehensive patient care.
2. Perform the appropriate diagnosis and treatment for conditions of the human dentition that fall within the scope of operative dentistry.
3. Perform disease control and preventive, chemotherapeutic, and restorative therapies for the human dentition based upon proper diagnosis.
4. Complete basic Class II amalgams plus Class III and/or IV resin composite restorations.
5. Integrate knowledge, decision-making, and clinical skills to provide quality patient care.
6. Treat patients, faculty, staff, and peers in an ethical and professional manner.
7. Exhibit self-improvement/self-directed learning by being prepared for the clinical experience and by self-assessing performance.
8. Perform caries risk assessments for patients using the ADA “Caries Risk Assessment Form.”
9. Explain the significance of the different levels of caries susceptibility.
10. Determine restorability and prognosis of a patient’s individual teeth and their whole dentition.
11. Perform high quality complex restorative procedures on patients, specifically Class II amalgams, Class III or IV resin composite restorations, build-up procedures, root caries restoration, and crown repairs, with minimal guidance from supervising clinical instructors.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-05, C-06, C-07, C-08, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-16, C-17, C-19, C-21, C-22, C-28, C-30, C-31, CE-02, CE-03, CE-04, CE-05, CE-06, CE-07
Date last updated: 2023-03-20