Oral Diagnosis & Treatment Planning Clerkship WR
Course Director: Stuart Taylor
Quarters/Yr of Program: Winter / 3
Oral diagnosis and treatment planning is the start of every new patient or recall appointment. Even in the ongoing treatment plan, a reassessment of the patient’s needs and oral health status is paramount in providing optimal care. This clerkship will emphasize the importance of a thorough comprehensive patient examination and the interaction between the dentist and the patient in composing a person centered treatment plan that considers the patient’s desires, expectations, and financial limitations. This course will provide the foundation of skills in performing a thorough and comprehensive patient assessment and oral examination; developing problem lists, differential diagnoses, and creating a person-centered, multi-disciplinary treatment plan (considering the patient’s concerns, desires, expectations, and financial restrictions); communicating inter-professionally; and using oral and maxillofacial radiography and radiographic interpretation.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Perform a comprehensive patient history and examination.
2. Detect normal clinical anatomy, differentiating it from pathology.
3. Identify oral health risk factors.
4. Interpret medical problems or issues and their importance for oral health and a dental treatment plan.
5. Interpret oral and maxillofacial radiographs that are taken in the clinic.
6. Distinguish normal anatomy from pathology on dental and maxillofacial radiographs.
7. Identify the patient’s most urgent treatment needs.
8. Compose a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary, person-centered, appropriately sequenced treatment plan, customized to patient needs, desires, and financial restrictions.
9. Present treatment plan options to fellow students, faculty, and patients.
10. Communicate with patients and interprofessionally with other medical colleagues and specialists.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-02, C-03, C-04, C-05, C-06, C-08, C-09, C-10, C-11, C-12, C-13, C-14, C-15, C-16, C-17, C-18, C-19, C-20, C-21, C-22, C-23, C-24, C-25, C-26, C-27, C-28, C-29, C-31, CE-02, CE-03, CE-05, CE-06, CE-07
Date last updated: 2021-12-31