Ethics & Jurisprudence
Course Directors: Kerry Streiff
Credits: 1 (Earned over four quarters)
Quarters/Yr of Program: Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring / 3
This course provides an overview of the “ADA Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct (ADA Code)” and Washington State laws governing the practice of dentistry. Students will learn to evaluate ethical dilemmas systematically through online didactic and on-campus small-group learning. Students will evaluate the ethical and legal aspects of case-based scenarios and real-life examples.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Recognize ethical and legal dilemmas faced in the practice of dentistry.
2. Describe an ethical dilemma faced in the practice of dentistry.
3. Apply the relevant tenets of the “ADA Code of Ethics” to ethical dilemmas.
4. Apply the relevant Washington State laws to ethical/legal dilemmas.
5. Describe ways in which ethical and legal standards may conflict in certain situations.
6. Describe systematically the decision-making process in resolving an ethical/legal dilemma.
7. Minimize ethical and legal dilemmas in dental practice.
UWSOD Competencies: C-01, C-06, C-09
Date last updated: 2023-07-05