Foundations of Interprofessional Education
Course Director: Marilyn Rothen
Credits: 1 (Earned over three quarters)
Quarters/Yr of Program: Autumn, Winter, Spring / 3
This course in interprofessional education (IPE) prepares students to collaborate with members of other health professions in future interprofessional patient practice (IPP) to improve patient healthcare and health outcomes. Students identify the roles and responsibilities played by other members of the healthcare team. They co-learn on teams with UW faculty and students from other health professions, applying principles of team-building dynamics to actual case analysis through role playing and a clinical skills workshop. Students also learn to communicate with patients and families using a team approach.
The student who successfully completes this course will be able to:
1. Explain the roles and responsibilities of other members of the healthcare team.
2. Identify the need for consultations within interprofessional teams.
3. Plan treatment in collaboration with other members of the interprofessional team care group.
4. Integrate recommended medical treatment into the dental treatment plan.
5. Collaborate with other members of the health care team in the delivery of health care.
6. Assist in the optimization of health system performance by improving the patient care experience.
UWSOD Competencies: C-02, C-05, C-07, C-08, C-14, C-15
Date last updated: 2023-09-26