Skip to content
In Memoriam

Class of 1955


Dr. Ronald BarclayDr. Ronald Lloyd “Ron” Barclay passed away on Feb. 4, 2017 at his home in Seattle. He was 85.

Dr. Barclay was born on July 3, 1931, the second child of Charles Barclay and Hildur Pedersen. After graduating from high school in Vancouver, Wash., he entered the UW. While in college he joined Phi Delta Theta, where he made many lifelong friends and met his future wife, Mary Elizabeth Loe. After a stint in the Army at Fort Lewis, the couple settled in Seattle, where he maintained a flourishing dental practice for the next 40 years.

The Barclay family moved into their newly built house on Lake Washington in 1962. Six months later, his wife died in a car accident and he raised their two boys on his own. He met this challenge with courage, grace and a natural buoyancy that he brought to everything he did. In later years, the house on the lake came to be known as Camp Barclay among family and friends, who came to visit for a few hours, but then stayed for the weekend, inspired by the conviviality of their host.

From the time Dr. Barclay was 3 years old and stood on a piano bench singing “The Object of My Affection” beside his father at the keyboard, he loved to sing and he loved parties. He sang with the Seattle Choral Company for many years, directed musical Christmas shows at the University Club and sang while accompanying himself and others on pianos in all kinds of settings.

He loved to ski, which he learned because his wife made it a condition of getting married, and took many ski trips with family and friends. He was also an avid traveler and eventually covered much of the world. At age 75 he started a new chapter in life, moving to Willapa Bay in Long Beach, Wash., where he pursued his love of gardening (and jazz, cards and dominoes), continued the Camp Barclay tradition of entertaining, and made a new circle of friends. He liked to tell his children and grandchild that “only the boring get bored,” and he never was.

Dr. Barclay is survived by his sons John and Tom; daughters-in-law Lisa and Claudine; granddaughter Nathalie; and the extended McCurdy family. He is predeceased by his sister, Betty McCurdy. (Legacy)


Dr. Frederick BrownDr. Frederick Richard “Doc” Brown died on Feb. 15, 2020 in Portland, Ore. He was 89.

He was born on June 15, 1930 in Tualatin, Ore., to Frank and Katie Brown. He attended the UW before going on to the School of Dentistry. He married Margaret Elizabeth “Margie” Henry, his beloved wife of 60 years, on July 23, 1955. After dental school he served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force and then opened his practice in Renton, Wash. He practiced dentistry in the Renton Highlands for over 50 years and was a longtime resident of Bellevue, Wash.

One of his great passions was flying his plane, and he was a lifetime member of the Flying Dentists Association.

Dr. Brown is survived by his daughters, Julie Brown, Jayne Wells, and Jeannie Johnson; grandchildren Leah and Ella Day and Hannah, Luke, and Sarah Johnson; and a loving extended family. (Seattle Times)


Howard ClarkDr. Howard Earl Clark passed away on Sept. 16, 2013 in Des Moines, Wash. He was 90.

Dr. Clark was born on July 21, 1923 to Earl and Florence Pope Clark in Moro, Ore. He graduated from Nampa High School in Idaho, where he played football and was captain of the basketball team. After high school he played some semi-pro basketball until WWII intervened. During the war he served in the Navy in the Pacific, operating landing craft, supporting landings and transporting wounded at Iwo Jima and elsewhere. After the end of the war, he helped transport troops from the Far East back to California.

He then enrolled at Gonzaga University, graduating with a degree in chemistry. He married Pat Sanders on March 8, 1947 in Spokane, Wash. They moved to Richland, Wash., where he briefly worked on nuclear chemistry projects at Hanford. The Clarks then moved to Seattle, where they both worked while he attended the UW School of Dentistry. He practiced dentistry for close to 50 years in West Seattle.

The Clark family boated for years, cruising into the inlets and islands of the San Juans and north into British Columbia. The Clarks were members of the Queen City Yacht Club and Agenda Dance Club. As UW alums, they held season tickets to Husky football games and attended them for decades, hosting many pre- and post-game functions on their boat. They also traveled throughout the world, eventually settling on Poipu, Kauai for a vacation home.

After his retirement, Dr. Clark took several trips to China, volunteering in a dental clinic for several months during one of them.

Dr. Clark is survived by his children, Pat (Hal) Michael of Olympia and Howard Jr., of West Seattle; and grandchildren Christopher (Lindsey) Michael of Renton, Pamela Michael of Washington, D.C., and Rachel Clark-Wigington of Longview, Wash. He was preceded in death by his parents, siblings Max Clark and Marguerite (Clark) Kurpiewski, his wife and son. Memorials may be made to the UW School of Dentistry  or Seattle Hospice.


Ehret-WilliamDr. William Walter “Bill” Ehret died on Sept. 5, 2014 at Providence Centralia Hospital in Centralia, Wash. He was 85.

Dr. Ehret was born on Oct. 22, 1928 to Arthur and Mildred Ehret in Centralia. After graduating from the School of Dentistry, he served four years in the U.S. Army’s general dispensary on the west coast of France. After traveling and attending the Rome Olympics, he returned to the States and became a family dentist in his hometown for 50-plus years.

He will be remembered for the many hours he spent in his garden, where he was especially fond of breeding rhododendrons. He enjoyed his weekly trips to Federal Way, Wash., to volunteer at the Rhododendron Species Foundation and Botanical Garden.

Dr. Ehret was a member of the Elks Lodge and enjoyed photography, travel, family genealogy and regular coffee time with friends. He often was heard whistling a tune as he pursued his hobbies.

Dr. Ehret is survived by his sister, Mary Jean Baumhofer, of Portland; nieces Laura (Mark) Worden of Corvallis, Ore., and Janet (Gary) Buskuhl of Tualatin, Ore.; nephew William Scott Baumhofer of Portland, Ore.; and great-nephews Daniel, Nathan and Joshua Worden.  (


Dr. EvansDr. Charles O. “Chuck” Evans died on June 18, 2014 at the age of 82.

Dr. Evans was born to Gordon and Marjorie Evans on Sept. 13, 1931 in Dryden, Wash. He graduated from Dryden High School in 1949 and earned his DDS from the School of Dentistry, where he was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. After college, he was commissioned in the Army as a captain at Fort Lewis.

Dr. Evans was a gifted woodworker. In the 1960s, he parlayed his talent into a successful dental practice, where he was known for his skill and artistry. He practiced for more than 30 years in Parkland, Wash. His patients included state senators and congressmen, who sought him out for his reputation.

In 1954, he married Velma Meister. They were married for 24 years. In 1979, he married Josie Lormor. They were married for 35 years.

Upon retirement, Dr. Evans transferred his skill from “tooth work” to woodwork and felt most comfortable with a tool belt on and a hammer in his hand. He competed nationally in downhill ski races, piloted small planes and biked with his friends. Nearly every day he got up early and “went to work” on his properties. His first love was golf. He was one of the oldest members still playing at the Tacoma Golf & Country Club, where he was known for his game and vibrant clothing style.

Dr. Evans is survived by his wife, Josie; children Mike (Laura), Marsha, Dan and Susan (Joe); stepdaughter Jill (Sam); grandchildren Natalie, Trisha, Luke, John and Iain; brother Richard (Gail); nieces Tammy, Hannah and Cindy; and nephews Mark, David, Rick, Ryan, Robert, Murray, Jessie and Mark.

Memorials may be made in his name to the University of Washington School of Dentistry, divided equally between the Tucker Gift Fund and the Dental Alumni Association Scholarship. (


Dr. Van LowryDr. Van Lee Lowry passed away on March 29, 2016. He was 86. Dr. Lowry was a retired colonel in the U.S. Army.

He was born on July 11, 1929 in Tacoma, Wash., to George and Louise Lowry. He attended Sherman Grade School, Mason Junior High and Stadium High School. He earned his B.S. in chemistry and biology at the College of Puget Sound.

Dr. Lowry is survived by his children, Karen Lynne and Dan Lee, and their families. He is predeceased by his wife, Beverly Jean Lowry. (Legacy)


Gerald SchultzDr. Gerard Drysdale “Gerry” Schultz passed away after a long illness on Oct. 5, 2013 in Evergreen Hospice in Kirkland, Wash. He was 84.

Dr. Schultz was a world-renowned expert in fixed prosthodontics, gnathologic principles and their relationship to temporomandibular joint physiology and pathology. His father, Dr. Arthur G. Schultz, was one of the original affiliate faculty members in the University of Washington’s Department of Operative Dentistry. The younger Dr. Schultz taught in the UW School of Dentistry’s Restorative and Periodontics departments while conducting a Seattle fixed prosthodontic practice limited to full-mouth reconstruction from 1964 until his retirement in 2010.

He also taught a postgraduate preceptorship program in restorative dentistry, served as a consultant to the graduate periodontics program at the University of Pennsylvania and led numerous restorative study clubs. In 2011, he received the UW School of Dentistry’s Distinguished Alumnus Award.

Dr. Schultz is survived by his wife, Carol; son, Randal “Randy,” who did his father’s lab work for many years; granddaughter, Breanna (Mike) Naccaroto; grandson, Brian; great-grandchildren Kassidy, Nikol and Olivia; and sister, Carolyn Schultz Van, her husband, Eric, their children, Cheryl, Greg, Gordy and Mellinda, and their combined offspring, Michaell, Douglas, Kyle, Eric, Chris, Alex, Jeff, Aaron, Laura and Juan Li.

He is predeceased by his parents, Dr. Arthur G. and Margaret D. Schultz; and younger son, Kennet “Kenny.” (Seattle Times)


Dr. UlreyDr. Richard Duane “Dick” Ulrey of Boulder, Colo., passed away peacefully on Oct. 17, 2021 in the presence of his wife, Joy, and his daughter, Susan. He was 92.

He was born to Irvin and Belle Ulrey on June 17, 1929 in Bonner’s Ferry, Idaho. He graduated from high school in Spokane, Wash., and attended Gonzaga University, the University of Oregon, and the UW, where he enrolled in the School of Dentistry.

Upon receiving his commission, he entered the Naval Reserve as an ensign under the dental student program in 1955. He was promoted to lieutenant and ordered to the Naval Training Center in San Diego for dental officer training. He served in 17 naval duty stations around the world, on the USS Proteus and, in 1969, on the USS Midway during the Vietnam War. While on the Midway, he assisted with extensive modernization of the dental spaces, which are still visible on the aircraft carrier (a museum in San Diego). In 1979, he assumed command of the Naval Regional Dental Center in Parris Island, S.C. His final duty station was in London, where he retired in 1985. He received the Legion of Merit, the Meritorious Service Medal, and the Navy Commendation Medal, among other honors.

Dr. Ulrey is survived by his wife of over 65 years, Joy, of Seattle; son Scott (Peri); daughter Susan (Tony) Mostek; and grandchildren David, Marisa, Stephen (Olivia), Robert, and Kevin. He was preceded in death by his sister, Kathleen Kirkendall of Spokane, Wash. (


Dr. John WaltersDr. John Lawrence Walters passed away on June 11, 2019. He was 90. He donated his body to the University of Washington for research.

Dr. Walters was born on May 2, 1929 in Tacoma, Wash. He grew up on North Stevens Street and attended Stadium High School, where he lettered in football, wrestling, and track and field. His summers during high school were spent working at the fish canneries in Ketchikan and Cordova in Alaska. He attended the UW and was a member of Phi Gamma Delta. After receiving his degree in zoology, he went on to become a graduate of the School of Dentistry’s distinguished class of 1955.

Dr. Walters joined the Navy after graduating from dental school and was stationed at the Coronado Naval Base in San Diego. After serving his country, he settled on Capitol Hill in Seattle, where he helped raise nine children. He set up his dental clinic in the Wedgwood area of northeast Seattle, where he practiced for over 35 years. During the 1970s he offered free dental care (up to a month each year) at the Catholic missions in the jungle in the state of Chiapas in Mexico and in Guatemala and Peru.

He loved trout fishing in Canada and salmon fishing out of Westport and La Push, Wash. He was an avid Husky football fan. He moved to a cabin on Hood Canal, where he harvested oysters off the beach to eat raw or from the barbecue with family and friends. He also loved going for drives and was a breakfast regular at the Chimacum Cafe. He earned his degree as a substance abuse counselor from Seattle University and volunteered numerous hours trying to help others. He was very proud of his almost 40 years of sobriety and regularly attended AA meetings, even when traveling.

Dr. Walters later moved to the Montclair Park Assisted Living & Memory Care Community, where he received excellent care from the friendly and professional staff.

He taught his children loyalty to family, the value of hard work and an education, and the love of music, travel, and a good book. (