Skip to content
In Memoriam

Class of 1953


Ronald Haug Dr. Ronald Duane Haug passed away on Aug. 14, 2012, at a memory care community in Silverdale, Wash. He was 87. At his request, there was no service.

Dr. Haug was born on Nov. 17, 1926, in Cando, N.D., to Christoffer August Haug and Susanna Olson. The family moved to the Pacific Northwest during the Great Depression. Dr. Haug graduated from Seattle’s Lincoln High School in 1943. He played basketball on the varsity team and spent many happy hours playing softball at Lower Woodland Park.

In the fall of 1943, Dr. Haug entered the University of Washington and played varsity basketball his freshman year. After completing one year at the UW, he entered the Coast Guard and served as a radioman on troop transport ships between San Francisco and the Asian war zones from 1944 through 1946. Upon his honorable discharge from the service, he returned to the UW to earn a B.S. in zoology. He entered UW’s School of Dentistry and earned his DDS in 1953. He practiced general dentistry for five years before returning to the UW to earn his certificate in orthodontics in 1960.

During his studies at the School of Dentistry, he met Marcia Churchill. They married on June 14, 1952, at the Florence Henry Memorial Chapel in Seattle and made their first home in Port Angeles, Wash., where Dr. Haug’s interest in steelhead fishing was born. The couple celebrated 60 years of marriage this past June.

In May 1960, the Haugs moved to Pleasanton, Calif., with daughters Sally and Jane and one small turtle. Dr. Haug practiced orthodontics in Hayward, Calif., for 35 years before retiring in 1995. While living in Pleasanton, he belonged to the Alameda County Dental Society, PORG Orthodontic Study Club and PSCO Dental Society. He was an avid steelhead and shad fisherman, belonged to a fly-tying club and played golf and tennis at Castlewood County Club in Pleasanton.

After his retirement, Dr. Haug and his wife moved to the family home in Indianola, Wash., where he perfected his landscaping techniques and enjoyed many memorable summertime moments with the family.

Dr. Haug is survived by his wife, Marcia; daughters Sally (Gary) Haug Walker of Livermore, Calif., and Jane (Mark) Haug Brown of Tucson, Ariz.; sisters-in-law Elloise Halverson Haug of Seattle and Ruth E. Churchill of Tiburon, Calif.; nephews Steve (Joy) Jarvis of Bothell, Wash., and Jeff Jarvis and Chase (Kate) Jarvis, all of Seattle; grandchildren Adrianne (Joey) Haynes D’Amico, Veronica (Jerico) Haynes Castillo, Callan Walker, Zoe Walker and Aaron Brown; and great-grandchildren Caitlynn Castillo and Ruby D’Amico. He was preceded in death by his parents, brothers John and Ray and sister Carol Jarvis.


 Dr. James R. Iverson, 84, passed away peacefully at his home on Sept. 24, 2010, with his wife, Marilyn, at his side.

Dr. Iverson lived a very full life, beginning with many childhood adventures in his hometown. He was born in Anacortes, Wash., on June 30, 1926 to James Nels and Thyra (Kilander) Iverson.  He graduated from Anacortes High School in 1944, enlisted in the Army and was discharged in 1946. He graduated from the UW School of Dentistry in 1953.

After dental school, Dr. Iverson spent four years in postgraduate training in oral and maxillofacial surgery in Washington, D.C .and Philadelphia, receiving extensive specialized training in anesthesia at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He immediately began practice in 1957 in the Medical Dental Building in downtown Seattle.  He was a member of the American Academy of Oral Pathology and the American College of Dentists, and was a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Surgery.  He retired in 1988 after 31 years as a respected and revered oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Dr. Iverson had many interests, and particularly loved the outdoors. He was an avid snow skier, golfer and hunter, and for more than 40 years, he fulfilled his passion for motorcycles, crossing the United States from Seattle to Kitty Hawk, N.C., and from Vancouver, Canada, to Mexico.  Many of his trips were with the “Molar Roller,” a group of dentists who shared his love of motorcycles.  In later years, his interests turned to boating, and he spent many years cruising the San Juan Islands and the Canadian Gulf Islands.

Dr. Iverson is survived by his wife of 34 years, Marilyn Iverson. He is also survived by his four children:  Mark Iverson, Scott (Sue) Iverson, Tina (Arsie) Roy and Tira Hancock.  Also surviving him are 10 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.


Dr. Theodore Lund Dr. Theodore Gorton “Ted” Lund passed away from pancreatic cancer on May 8, 2016. He was 88.

Dr. Lund was born on Oct. 12, 1927 in Tacoma, Wash., and grew up in National and Eaton. He resided and worked in Puget Sound: Seattle, Burien, Rainier Beach, Kent and Federal Way.

He graduated from Eatonville High School in 1945 and served in the U.S. Navy from May 1945 to July 1946, assigned to the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Fla. He married Jeanne G. Martin in 1949.

Dr. Lund earned a BS in chemistry in 1950 and his DDS in 1953, both at the UW. He conducted a private general dentistry practice in Burien for 33 years, retiring at age 59.

In retirement, the couple enjoyed family and friends and trips to the Washington coast and Kauai. He also enjoyed fishing, snowmobiling, hunting, American history and country music. He loved UW sports, the Sonics and the Seahawks. He was also heavily involved in the local Kiwanis and the Masons.

Dr. Lund is survived by sons Theodore (Victoria) and Jeffrey (Joni); daughters Cindy Lund and Kimberlee Byrne; grandchildren Brandon (Jessica) Byrne, Amanda (Steven) Lloyd and Cameron (Jaime) Byrne; great-grandchildren Maddux and Lucas; and sisters Donna Shoe and Anne Jenson.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Jeanne; sister Nadine M. Ward; and son-in-law Bradley S. Byrne. (


Dr. Olson Dr. Dale L. Olson died in 2017. He was born on Sept. 18, 1927 to Lulu and Oscar of Wild Rose, N.D. They moved to Marysville, Wash., in 1937.

Dr. Olson graduated from Marysville High School, served at a U.S. Naval Hospital, attended Washington State University and married the love of his life, Velma Lorraine Allen, of Arlington, Wash. He provided care in Marysville for 27 years.

Dr. Olson is survived by his wife, Velma; children Loree, Leeann, Brooke and Allen; niece and nephew Jackie and Keith; grandsons Taylor, Andy, Riley and Nicholas; and brother-in-law Jack Allen. (


Dr. Harold Oswald, who practiced dentistry in Bellingham, Wash., for 53 years, passed away at his home there on May 13, 2011 at the age of 90.

Dr. Oswald served on the Washington State Board of Dental Examiners and was a member of the American College of Dentists and other dental groups. He also volunteered his dental skills in Tonga for a time, serving a population that lacked access to dental care, and he teamed with his close friend, Bellingham High School football coach Howard Jones, to produce some of the first football mouth guards used in the state of Washington.

He served as a naval aviator in World War II, stationed on Attu Island in the Aleutians and flying bombing missions over Japan, and continuing in the Navy Reserve for 23 years. Using the benefits of the GI Bill, he became the first member of his family to attend college. While at the School of Dentistry, he married Dorothy Livesey. After graduation, they moved with their two young sons, Steve and Mike, to Bellingham, where he established his dental practice. During that time a third son, Pete, was born. Pete, a Navy SEAL, died in a training mission in 2002.

Raised in Tacoma by his Volga German immigrant parents, George and Mary Oswald, Dr. Oswald was the youngest of 1 children. Known as Ossie to his friends, he loved to hunt and fish and was a student of the game of golf, starting in his youth as a greenskeeper.  He remained a member of the Bellingham Golf and Country Club until his death. Two of his sons followed his footsteps to the Navy and one into dentistry; all shared their father’s love of hunting and fishing and single-malt scotch.

Preceded in death by his wife, he is survived by his sister, Elsie Cowling of Tacoma; son Steve Oswald and wife Diane of Houston;  son Mike Oswald and wife Nancy of Bellingham; son Pete’s wife Jennifer  Oswald of San Diego; seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


Dr. Grant E. Overby passed away on Aug. 20, 2011 in Tacoma, Wash., at the age of 88.

Dr. Overby was born on Jan. 15, 1923 in Bridger, Mont. He graduated from the School of Dentistry in 1953 and practiced in Tacoma for 25 years.

He is survived by his wife, Madalyn; sons Kristan (Karen), Mark (JoAnn), Todd (Laurie) and Brent; and grandchildren Skye, Drew, Dorr, Grant, Ty and Kaylee Overby, Ryan and Kelli Wilson and Chris and Sheri Hill.


Dr. Harland B. Peterson died on Feb. 7, 2013. He was a beloved Tacoma dentist for 55 years. (No further details were available.)


Erik Pihl Dr. Erik “Bill” Pihl passed away at home in Mount Vernon, Wash., on Nov. 30, 2013. He was 85.

Dr. Pihl was born on July 24, 1928 to Hildur and Hilding Pihl, who had immigrated to Seattle the previous year from Lule, Sweden with son Per Ivar. The household was steeped in Swedish culture, values and faith, which became guideposts for Dr. Pihl’s life of service to others. The family lived in Seattle’s Sandpoint neighborhood before moving to a farm on Pontius Road in Bothell, Wash. Through his high school years, he spent long hours before and after school working on the farm. After graduating from Bothell High School, he worked as a commercial fisherman to fund his college tuition.

Dr. Pihl received his undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate degrees in Dentistry and Orthodontics from the UW. He was an ardent Husky fan and supporter of UW athletics. After dental school, he served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force, providing mobile dental services for remote bases in the Pacific Northwest. He married Louise Edholm on Aug. 12, 1956. They moved to Mount Vernon, Wash., in 1959, where he established an Orthodontics practice that spanned more than 40 years. He was a member of the two oldest Swedish Lutheran parishes in the state: Gethsemane in Seattle and Salem in Mount Vernon.

Dr. Pihl loved the Skagit Valley and hiking, climbing, skiing and hunting. He was especially fond of fishing in Alaska with Louise and his brothers and sisters. He helped many organizations with his philanthropy and his time. He was actively involved with Holden Village, served in the Lutheran Church on America’s national World Hunger task force and was an active member of Mount Vernon Rotary. During the last decades of his life, he spent many hours with a shovel and backhoe moving trees and plantings for the Western Washington Fruit Research Foundation near Mount Vernon. He also loved to visit his Swedish cousins.

Dr. Pihl is survived by his wife, Louise; children Erik, Andrea, Arne and Paul; brothers Ernest (Zora) and Martin (Darlene); sisters Elsie Soule and Karen Leander; sisters-in-law Joan Pihl and Hazel Edholm; nieces; nephews; grand-nieces; grand-nephews; and his faithful hunting dogs, Mocha and Flicka. He was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Rose Ann and his brother Ivar. (Skagit Valley Herald)


Dr. Thomas Reynolds Dr. Thomas Glenn Reynolds passed away on Sept. 19, 2019, in Lynnwood, Wash. He was 93, and had a dental practice in Seattle’s University District for 38 years.

Dr. Reynolds was born in Seattle on March 21, 1926 to Glen and Katherine Reynolds. He served in the Navy, stationed in San Francisco, and was discharged June 1946. He attended the University of Washington, where he met the love of his life, Adele Frances Reynolds. The two were married 57 years at the time of her death on Feb. 14, 2008. Dr. Thomas was a lifetime member of the Washington State Dental Association.

The Reynolds family had a beach house at Mutiny Bay on Whidbey Island where they spent summers and weekends. Dr. Reynolds loved boating and gardening and was always busy on a project. He and Adele loved traveling and cruising, and he loved documenting their trips with pictures and movies. One of his favorite vacation spots was Naples, Fla., to visit Adele’s sister Joy and brother Larry. Dr. Reynolds’ most recent travel was just last year, on the Puget Sound Honor Flight, accompanied by his son Chris. This was a very rewarding recognition of his service in the Navy during World War II.

Dr. Reynolds moved to Fairwinds Brighton Court in Lynnwood a few years ago to be closer to his daughters and son Chris, and enjoyed many hours with them there and made many friends. He was a happy man, loved all animals, and enjoyed a variety of hobbies.

He is survived by his sister, Barbara Williams, and seven children; Gary, Greg, Suzanne, Chris, Tina, Kathy, and Scott, and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He will be greatly missed and will always be loved by his family and friends. (


Dr. Robert Swenson Dr. Robert Leon “Bob” Swenson passed away peacefully, surrounded by his loving family, on April 30, 2019. He was 94.

Dr. Swenson was born on June 24, 1924 in Miles City, Mont. He was the oldest son of Lucy Ann McCann Swenson and Frank Duncan Swenson. His father was a civil engineer whose surveying career building highways and railroads moved the family from Montana to Texas, Minnesota, and North Dakota, then back to Montana and finally Seattle during World War II.

Dr. Swenson graduated from Flathead County High School in Kalispell, Mont. He entered the U.S. Army in June 1942 and served with the 1629th Engineering Construction Battalion in the Philippines and Japan. He returned to civilian life in February 1946. In 1953 he graduated from the School of Dentistry with his brother, Ralph, and started a 40-year family practice in Seattle’s Northgate area. On July 25, 1953 he married Teresa Sullivan in her hometown of Rockford, Wash. They were blessed with five children.

Dr. Swenson was always involved with his children’s activities and later treasured time spent with his grandchildren. Nothing made him happier than hooking a big one in the Sound, Westport or Alaska. He loved his annual fishing trip to Ross Lake with the guys.

The Swensons enjoyed playing bridge over 30 years with a group of friends. Their annual bridge and golf weekends were highlights of their summers. Dr. Swenson was an active member of St. Luke’s Catholic Church for over 60 years. He was a member of Sertoma, the Knights of Columbus, American Dental Association, and Boy Scouts. The couple moved to Ida Culver House Broadview in 2014, where they enjoyed meeting new friends. A few years later he moved to the assisted-living section, where he received wonderful care.

Dr. Swenson is survived by his loving wife of 65 years, Teresa; children Gary (Jana), Laurie (Greg) Piacitelli, Susan (Mark) Novack, Patricia Swenson (Wayne) Smuck, and Mark; grandchildren Lisa Piacitelli (Nathan) Thramer, Hillary Swenson, Riley Swenson, Elizabeth Novack, Nicole Novack, and Jack Swenson; and brother Ralph and sister Joanne Swenson and their families. He was preceded in death by his granddaughter Anna in 2017 and sister-in-law Marjorie in 2018. (


edwinwerlich A celebration of the life of Dr. Edwin P. Werlich was held on March 20, 2016 at the Everett Golf and Country Club. He was 90.

Dr. Werlich was born on July 12, 1925 in Everett, Wash. The family moved to Seattle in 1932 and he graduated from Ballard High School in 1943. During his senior year, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy’s V-12 (a) Program. After a year at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana, he began the flight program and was finishing flight training at the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi, Texas when WWII ended. He elected discharge and enrolled at the UW, receiving his DDS in 1953.

While in dental school, he met a nurse named Pauline Phillips and they later married. When they opened their private practice in Port Angeles, Wash., she was the receptionist, chairside assistant and financial officer. They were blessed with two daughters, Amy Werlich and Jean (Jonathan) Way, plus two very special granddaughters, Maggie and Abby.

Dr. Werlich opened his practice in Everett in 1962 and retired in 1992. While in Port Angeles, he discovered steelhead fishing and became addicted. He acquired a U.S. Air Force life raft and converted it for fishing the Sol Duc, Bogachiel and Hon rivers on the Olympic Peninsula and the Sauk river near Darrington, Wash. This led to a fishing cabin on the Stillaguamish River. Dr. Werlich caddied and worked in various capacities at the (now closed) Olympic Golf Club in north Ballard. He cherished the game and his golfing friendships.

The Werlichs enjoyed retirement with trips to their cabin, North Carolina, the Bahamas, Europe and New Zealand. He expressed the wish that all could have as fulfilling a life as he had been privileged to live and hoped they shared an appreciation for great meatloaf and hamburgers. (