UW School of Dentistry
Applied Dental Materials
3 Credits / Quarter 3 (Spring, First Year)
Lecture/laboratory in proper use of dental materials relative to restorative dentistry. Laboratory projects simulate clinical and laboratory procedures but emphasis is on learning proper handling of materials to achieve clinical success.
The student will gain knowledge and skill to properly use of various, common restorative materials. The objectives will be for the student to (1) attain the best physical and mechanical properties of the materials, (2) predictably modify procedures, (3) diagnose and correct errors, and (4) evaluate, compare, and select restorative dental materials for laboratory and clinical use.
Lecture and laboratory topics include: alginate impression materials; elastomeric impression materials; various types of gypsum, provisional restorative materials, casting investments and casting procedures; abrasives; soldering; glass ionomer, resin-modified glass ionomer, composite resin, flowable composites and dental adhesives; luting agents (cements) and dental amalgam.
To successfully meet the requirements of this course, the student is expected to attend lectures and laboratories and demonstrate his/her understanding of the lecture topics, assigned readings, and laboratory exercises through weekly quizzes and a final examination.
Professional and ethical behavior is expected throughout all lectures, laboratory sessions, and other course activities. Completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 2: Communicate the risks and benefits of proposed care and alternative treatment strategies available, then obtain expressed consent for treatment conveyed by a patient or legal guardian.
- UWSOD Competency 7: Manage pulpal and periradicular disease.
- UWSOD Competency 16: Manage diseases and conditions of the teeth.
- Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials , 12th Edition, John M. Powers and Ronald L. Sakaguchi (ed.)
- Applied Dental Materials (Syllabus), Glen H. Johnson
- Dental Materials Science (Syllabus), Albert Chung, Glen H. Johnson and Jack I. Nicholls
- Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry , 3 rd Edition, by Summit, Robbins, Hilton and Schwartz.
- Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics, 3rd Edition, by Shillingburg, Hobo, Whitsett, Jacobi and Brackett.
- Course Website
*last updated: 11/7/2011