John Townsend, DDS, MSD
University of Washington
1959 NE Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7456
Department of Restorative Dentistry
Dr. Townsend received his BSc from the University of British Columbia in 1963. In 1967 he received his DDS from McGill University, and in 1973 received an MSD from the University of Washington. Also in 1973, he earned a Certificate in Periodontal Prosthodontics from the University of Washington.
- Dentistry 510 – Introduction to Clinical Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry 525, 526, 527 – Preclinical Fixed Prosthodontics
- Restorative Dentistry 570 – Graduate Prosthodontics Literature Review
- Restorative Dentistry 589 – Occlusion Literature Review for Graduate Periodontics and Prosthodontics
- Restorative Dentistry 590 – Graduate Prosthodontics: Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics
- Restorative Dentistry 630-640 – Clinical Restorative Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry 660 – Clinical Graduate Prosthodontics
- Periodontics 582 – Graduate Periodontics – Treatment Planning
- Periodontics 586 – Graduate Periodontics – Longitudinal Evaluation of Therapy
Dr. Townsend’s research interests include the Biocompatibility of Dental Materials and the Longitudinal Clinical Evaluation of Bonded Prostheses.
Awards and Professional Service
Dr. Townsend holds a Washington State Dental License, as well as being a Certified Specialist of Prosthodontics per the National Dental Examining Board of Canada and a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. He has maintained private practices in both Quebec and Washington. Dr. Townsend has held faculty positions and chaired departments at both McGill University in Montreal and the University of Washington in Seattle.
He has been awarded a Certificate of Achievement from the US Army for contributions to the Dental Resident Training Program at Fort Lewis, WA, a Fellowship in the American College of Dentists and an Omicron Kappa Upsilon academic award. He has also received the Outstanding Instructor Award at the University of Washington Dental School from four classes and has been part of the Investiture of the Hoods ceremony for six graduating classes.
Dr. Townsend has been a Director of the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics and is a past President of the Washington State Society of Prosthodontists.
Dr. Townsend is very active in his community and with youth activities. He has been a local and district leader in the Boy Scouts of America and is a past President of his Rotary Club. His other interests include aquatic sports, especially barefoot water-skiing and musical performance. He plays bass trombone in the Seattle Civic Band and studies with Stephen Fissel, bass trombonist with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra.