Pollene Speed McIntyre
University of Washington
1959 NE Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7456
Department of Restorative Dentistry
Dr. Speed holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology/chemistry (1973) from South Carolina State University, as well as a Master of Science degree in Fish Pathology (1976) and a Doctor of Dental Surgery (1980) both from the University of Washington. She received a certification from the American Dental Education Association’s Institute of Teaching and Learning (2008). She also holds a Professional Technical Teaching Certification and Washington State Online Teaching certification.
- Restorative Dentistry 620- (Comprehensive clinical Restorative Treatment planning)
- Restorative Dentistry 535-( Implant Dentistry )
- Restorative Dentistry 630 (Pre-clinical Restorative Dentistry)
- Restorative Dentistry 640 (P-Advanced clinical Restorative Dentistry)
- Pros 630-( Clinical Prosthodontics)
- Pros 640- ( Clinical Prosthodontics Maintenance
Dr. Speed is the author of several research articles and has been invited to peer -reviewed many research papers. She is a member of the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network, and served on University of Washington PRECEDENT Research Executive board. She has presented at PRECEDENT Annual meetings giving research analyses of work completed by this group. Her research focus and work remains with Preventive Dentistry, Pediatric and community dentistry and access to care issues. Dr. Speed presented her research on “How Dental School Admissions Practices Impact the Make-up of Students” at the American Dental Education Annual Meeting. Dr. Speed’s work also focuses on geriatric dentistry and she is actively involved with the UW Geriatric Mobile Unit.
Awards and Professional Service
Dr. Speed maintains a private dental practice in South Seattle and is a member of the American Dental Association, the American Academy of General Dentistry, the Washington State Dental Association and the Seattle King County Dental Society. Dr. Speed is a fellow in a number of dental organizations including The International College of Dentists, The Pierre Fauchard Academy and the Academy of General Dentistry. She is the former chair of the University of Washington School of Dentistry Admissions committee and the Early Childhood Oral Health (ECOH) Community Outreach, Marketing and Media (C.O.M.M.) board. Among her professional work and service, she is a founding member of several educational programs, Foundations and endowments including the establishment of the Seattle Community College Dental Hygiene program, the Washington State Expanded Function Dental program, and the Seattle Vocational Dental Assistant program. She is also a founding member of the University Of Washington School Of Dentistry Partners in Diversity Endowment and the Seattle Girls Empowerment Foundation. Dr. Speed is a charter member of the Seattle Chapter of the National Girl Friends, ® Inc. organization as well as a frequent presenter/ participant in her sorority The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority educational programs. She has received numerous awards including the Governor Christine Gregoire Crystal award and was voted one of Seattle’s Top Dentists by her peers for consecutive years. Her pioneering work as a dental professional and community leader was featured in the Northwest African American Museum. She was recently honored by the Seattle Chapter of the National Council of Negro women.
Dr. Speed’s personal interests include spending time with her family, social activities with her friends in the Seattle Chapter of Girl Friends, Inc., live theatre and jazz concerts and attending church regularly.
- Ferracane JL, Hilton T, Zhou L, Gillette J, Speed-McIntyre P. Berg J. Use of caries preventive services in the NW Precedent dental network. Community Dentistry Dent. Oral Epidemiol. 2011; 39:68-78
- Gillette, J Cunha-Cruz, A. Gilbert, P. Speed McIntyre. L Zhou and T. Derouen. The Conduct of Practice-based Research in community clinics compared to Private Practices: similarities, differences and challenges. Compendium April 2010
- Ferracane, T. Hilton, L. Zhou., J. Gillette, P. Speed McIntyre, J. Berg. Use of caries prevention services in the Northwest PRECEDENT. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology- 2010
- Speed, S. Coldwell, D. Jackson and K. Craig. Initial Evaluation of Whole file Review Process for School of Dentistry- Study in progress
- J. Ferracane, T. Hilton, L. Zhou, J. Gillette, P. Speed McIntyre, J. Berg and NW PRECEDENT Use of Caries Preventive Services in the NW Precedent Dental Network Abstract #101041- 2008
- Speed, Pollene: Studies on the Host specificity of the Eye fluke Diplostomon Spathaceus in Salmonids and the Feasibility of Short-term Immunization, Master Thesis 1976
- Speed, Pollene and Pauley, Gilbert B: The susceptibility of four salmonid species to the Eye fluke Diplostomeus Spatheuceus. Northwest Science, vol. 58, no. 4, 1984
Research Articles – Peer Review Invitations/reviews
- “Effect of finishing/polishing techniques and time on surface roughness of silorane and methacrylate based restorative materials” Oral Health 15-131- Feb. 2015
- “ In Vitro Evaluation of the Accuracy of Seating Cast Metal Fixed partial dentures on the Abutment teeth with Varying Degree of Convergence Angle”- Oral Health 14-397 Jan. 2015
- “Anterior Aesthetic rehabilitation- How to get success again after the unexpected failure”. A Case report- Oral Health 15-122 Feb. 2015
- “Maxillomandibular relationship record for complete arch/mouth implant restorations using putty-elastomeric occlusion rim at healing abutment level”- Oral Health 14-339- Dec. 2014
- “Reconstruction and implant rehabilitation of the completely edentulous maxilla and mandible utilizing iliac crest autogenous block grafts: a clinical case report- Oral Health 14-371 Dec. 2014
- “Remineralizing Agents- Then and Now- An Update”- Oral Health 14-318 Nov. 2014
- Remineralizing Agents- Then and Now- An Update”- Oral Health 14-318BR1 Dec. 2014
- “ Alleviating geriatric oral health predicaments in a developing country” Oral- Health 14-108 April 2014
- “Assessment of Learning a New tooth Notation (MICAP) Format by Dental Health Professionals” Oral Health 15-150 April 2015