Sandra Bordin, PhD
Research Professor, Department of Periodontics
Adjunct Research Professor, Department of Oral Health Sciences
Pre-doctoral training in the Classics, Doctoral in Biological Sciences and Post-doctoral in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Endocrinology at major Universities in Europe (Italy and Holland) and US (UW, Seattle).
- Appointed Member of the IADR/Glaxo/Smith/Kline Committee, Award for Innovation in Oral Care
- Editorial Board of the Revista Mexicana de Odontologia, the Open Dentistry Journal, and Dental Informatics Online Community
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Dental Fraternity, Sigma Sigma Chapter
- Elected Member (3rd term) to the UW Faculty Senate
- US Licensed Medical Interpreter
- Seattle Art Museum: certified volunteer for art education
Broad Research Interests encompass the host’s immune response during periodontal tissue disorders, with focus on the biology of peri-implantitis. Objective: to conduct clinical trials for the in situ application of non-invasive optical coherence tomography imaging for screening in real time peri-implant inflammatory conditions before clinical signs reveal the destructive processes. The method can save osseointegrated implants by allowing early treatment of the complication.
Director Perio-575: Immunological Aspects of Oral Diseases
- Verardi S, Quaranta M, Bordin S. 2011. Peri-implantitis fibroblasts respond to host immune factor C1q. J Periodont Res 46:134-140.
- Bordin S, Flemmig TF, Verardi S. 2009. Role of fibroblast populations in peri-implantitis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 24:187-192.
- Bordin S, Narayanan AS, Robertson PB. 2008. Roy C Page: Leader in Collaborative and Multidisciplinary Research in Periodontology. J Dent Res 87:293-5.
- Verardi S, Bordin S. 2008. Management of Periodontal Inflammation JPH 2:1-3