Greg J. Huang, DMD, MSD, MPH
Professor and Chair of Orthodontics
Adjunct Professor in Oral Health Sciences
Dr. Huang received his DMD 1987 University of Florida; MSD and Certificate in Orthodontics (1989) & MPH (2001) University of Washington. Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. Associate Editor of AJODO. Private practice: Bellevue, WA.
Practice-based research, orthodontic outcomes and stability, evidence-based orthodontics.
- Huang GJ and Soderholm KJ. 1989. In vitro investigation of shear bond strength of a phosphate based dentinal bonding agent. Scand J Dent Res 97(1): 84-92.
- Huang GJ, Justus R, Kennedy DB, Kokich VG. 1990. Stability of anterior openbite treated with crib therapy. Angle Orthod 60(1): 17-24; discussion 25-6.
- Noxon SJ, King GJ, Gu G, Huang GJ. 2001. Osteoclast clearance from periodontal tissues during orthodontic tooth movement. AJODO 120(5): 466-76.
- Huang GJ, LeResche L, Critchlow CW, Martin MD, Drangsholt MT. 2002. Risk factors for diagnostic subgroups of painful TMD. JDR 81(4): 282-8.
- Connolly JP, Liu ZJ, Wang LL, Whelan MF, Huang GJ, Williams JK, King GJ. 2002. A custom mandibular distraction device for the rat. J Craniofac Surgery 13(3):445-52.
- Huang GJ. 2002. Long-term stability of anterior openbite therapy: a review. Seminars in Orthodontics 8(3): 132-72.
- Pang JWY, Heffelfinger JD, Huang GJ, Benedetti TJ, Weiss NS. 2002. Outcomes of planned home births in Washington state: 1989-1996. Obstet Gynecol 100(2): 253-9.
- King GJ, Wang LL, Liu ZJ, Chiu IY, Huang GJ. 2003. Effect of distraction rate and consolidation period on bone density following mandibular osteodistraction in rats. Archives of Oral Biology 48(4): 299-308.
- Huang GJ, del Aguila MA. 2003. The distribution of orthodontic services and fees in an insured population in Washington state. AJODO 124(4): 366-72.
- Bollen AM, Huang GJ, King GJ, Hujoel P, Ma T. 2003. Sequential removable orthodontic appliances, activation time and material stiffness – Part I: Ability to complete treatment. AJODO 124(5): 496-501
- Clements KM, Bollen AM, Huang GJ, King GJ, Hujoel P, Ma T. 2003. Sequential Removable Orthodontic Appliances, Activation Time and Material Stiffness – Part II: Dental Improvements. AJODO 124(5): 502-8.
- Huang GJ, Marston BE, del Aguila MA. 2004. Orthodontic care in an insured population in Washington: demographic factors. AJODO 125(6): 741-6.
- Nett BC, Huang GJ. 2005. Long-term posttreatment changes measured by the American Board of Orthodontics objective grading system. AJODO 127(4):444-50.
- Mirabelli JT, Huang GJ, Siu CH, King GJ, Omnell L. 2005. Effectiveness of phase I orthodontic treatment in a Medicaid population. AJODO 127(5):592-8.
- Ormiston JP, Huang GJ, Little RM, Decker JD, Seuk GD. 2005. A retrospective analysis of long-term stable and unstable orthodontic treatment outcomes. AJODO 128(5):568-74.
- Theis JE, Huang GJ. King GJ, Omnell ML. 2005. Eligibility for publicly funded orthodontic treatment determined by the handicapping labiolingual deviation index. AJODO 128(6):708-15.
- AAO Council on Scientific Affairs (Huang GJ, et al). 2005. Ask us: Functional appliances and long-term effects on mandibular growth. AJODO 128(3):271-2.
- Orsini GM, Huang GJ, Kiyak HA, Ramsay DS, Bollen AM, Anderson NK, Giddon DB. 2006. Innovative methods for evaluating facial profile preferences. AJODO 130(3):283-91.
- Huang GJ, Rue T. 2006. Third molar extraction as a risk factor for TMD. JADA 137(11)1547-54.
- LeResche L, Mancl LA, Drangsholt MT, Huang GJ, Von Korff M. 2007. Predictors of onset of facial pain and temporomandibular disorders in early adolescence. Pain 129(3):269-78. (Epub Nov 2006).
- Huang GJ, Drangsholt MA, Rue TC, Cruikshank DC, Hobson KA. 2008. Age and third molar extraction as risk factors for TMD. JDR 87(3):283-287.
- Kim S, Herring SW, Wang I-C, Alcalde R, Mak V, Fu IC, Huang GJ. 2008. A comparison of miniplates and teeth for orthodontic anchorage. AJODO 133(2):189.e1-9.
- Bollen AM, Cunha-Cruz J, Bakko DW, Huang GJ, Hujoel PP. 2008. Effects of orthodontic therapy on periodontal health; a systematic review of controlled evidence. JADA 139(4):413-22.
- Baldwin D, Bollen AM, King GJ, Ramsay DS, Huang GJ. 2008. Activation time and material stiffness of sequential removable orthodontic appliances. Part 3: Premolar extraction cases. AJODO 133:837-45.
- Hobson KA, Huang GJ, Covell DA. 2008. Patterns of dental care utilization among patients with TMD disorders. JOP 22:108-14.
- Marshall SD, English JD Jr, Huang GJ, Messersmith ML, Nah HD, Riolo ML, Shroff B, Southard TE, Suri L, Turpin DL. 2008. Ask us. Long-term stability of maxillary expansion. AJODO.133(6):780-1.
- Ryan-Taylor K, Kiyak A, Huang GJ, Greenlee GM, Jolley CJ, King GJ. 2009. Effects of Malocclusion and Its Treatment on the Quality of Life of Adolescents. AJODO 136:382-92.
- Suri L, Huang G, English JD Jr, Owen S, Nah HD, Riolo ML, Shroff B, Southard TE, Turpin DL. 2009. Ask us. Topical fluoride treatment. AJODO. 135(5):561-3.
- Struble BH and Huang GJ. 2010. A Comparison of Prospectively and Retrospectively Selected American Board of Orthodontics Cases. AJODO. 137(1): 6.e1-8; discussion 6-8.
- Yousefzadeh F, Shcherbatyy V, King GJ, Huang GJ, and Liu ZJ. 2010. A Cephalometric and Electromyographic Study of Open-bite/Overbite in Patients of East-African Ethnicity. AJODO. 137(2):236-46.
- Zuroff JP, Chen SH, Shapiro PA, Little RM, Joondeph DR, Huang GJ. 2010. Orthodontic Treatment of Anterior Open-bite Malocclusion: Stability Ten-years Post-retention. AJODO. 137(3):302.e1-8; discussion 302-3.
- Jolley C, Huang GJ, Greenlee GM, Spiekerman C, Kiyak HA King GK. 2010. The dental effects of interceptive treatment in a Medicaid population: results from a randomized clinical trial. AJODO.137(3):324-33.
- Chen SH, Greenlee GM, Kim E, Smith C, Huang GJ, 2010. A systematic review of self-ligating brackets. AJODO. 137(6): 726.e1-726.e18.
- Marshall SD, Currier FG, Hatch NE, Huang GJ, Nah HD, Owens SE, Shroff B, Southard TE, Suri L, Turpin DL. 2010. Ask Us: Self-ligating bracket claims. AJODO. 138(2):128-31.
- Hyde JD, King GJ, Greenlee GM, Spiekerman C, Huang GJ. 2010. Survey of orthodontist’s attitudes and experiences regarding miniscrew implants. JCO. 44: 481-6.
- Greenlee GM, Chen SH, Chen J, Huang GJ. 2011. Stability of treatment for anterior openbite malocclusion: a meta-analysis. AJODO 139(2):154-69.
- King GJ, Kiyak HA, Greenlee GM, Huang GJ, Spiekerman CF. 2012. Medicaid and privately financed orthodontic patients have similar occlusal and psychosocial outcomes. J Public Health Dent. 72:94-103.
- King GJ, Spiekerman CF, Greenlee GM, Huang GJ. 2012. Randomized clinical trial of interceptive and comprehensive orthodontics. J Dent Res. 91:59S-64S.
- Huang GJ, Bates S, Ehlert A, Whiting D, Chen S, Bollen AM. 2012. Stability of Deepbite Treatment: a systematic review. JWFO. 1:e89-96.
- Lotwala RB, Greenlee GM, Ott SM, Hall, SH, and Huang GJ. 2012. Bisphosphonates as a risk factor for adverse orthodontic outcomes: a retrospective cohort study. AJODO 142(5):625-634e3.
- Fontes AM, Joondeph DR, Bloomquist DS, Greenlee GM, Wallen TR, Huang GJ. 2012. Long-term stability of anterior open-bite closure with bilateral sagittal split osteotomy. AJODO 142(6):792-800.
- Huang GJ, Roloff-Chiang B, Bills BE, Shalchi S, Spiekerman C, Korpal AM, Starett JL, Greenlee GM, Drangsholt RJ, Matunas JC. 2013. The effectiveness of MI Paste Plus and PreviDent fluoride varnish for treatment of white spot lesions: a randomized controlled trial. AJODO. 143:31-41.
- Senestraro SV, Crowe JJ, Wang M, Vo A, Huang G, Ferracane J, Covell DA Jr. 2013. Minimally invasive resin infiltration of arrested white-spot lesions: a randomized clinical trial. JADA. 144:997-1005.
- Cunha-Cruz J, Rothen M, Spiekerman C, Drangsholt M, McClellan L, Huang GJ. Recommendations for third molar removal: a practice-based cohort study. AJPH. (in press)
- Huang GJ, Cunha-Cruz J, Rothen M, Spiekerman C, Drangsholt M, Anderson L, Roset G. A prospective study of clinical outcomes related to third molar removal or retention. AJPH. (in press)
Critical Summaries, Editorials, and Case Reports
- Huang GJ, Gansky SA. 2001. The relationship between exogenous estrogen and TMD. J Evid Base Dent Pract 1:191-3.
- Huang GJ, Hujoel PP. 2002. The influence of age and sex on facial asymmetry. J Evid Base Dent Pract 2: 80-1.
- Huang GJ. 2002. Effect of combined antimicrobial and fluoride varnish in orthodontic patients. J Evid Base Dent Pract 2:115-6.
- John MT, Huang GJ. 2002. The psychosocial impact of orthognathic surgery is unknown. J Evid Base Dent Pract 2: 211.
- Huang, GJ. 2003. Traditional orthodontic treatment, orthodontic appliances, and extraction for orthodontic treatment do not appear to cause TMD. J Evid Base Dent Pract 3:28-30.
- Huang GJ. 2003. Case Report – How would you treat this malocclusion? PCSO Bulletin 75(3): 24-25, 46-47.
- Huang GJ. 2004. The effectiveness of the twin-block appliance for the correction of class II division I malocclusion during mixed dentition. J Evid Base Dent Pract 4:222-3.
- Huang GJ. 2004. The psychosocial benefits of the twin-block appliance in class II division I patients during mixed dentition. J Evid Base Dent Pract 4:286-7.
- Huang GJ. 2004. Making the case for evidence-based orthodontics . AJODO 125(4): 405-6.
- Huang GJ. 2004. Occlusal adjustment for treating and preventing temporomandibular disorders. AJODO 126(2):138-9.
- Huang GJ. 2005. Orthodontic repositioning of traumatically intruded maxillary incisors minimizes negative sequelae. J Evid Base Dent Pract 5:145-6.
- Huang GJ. 2005. Fasten you seat belts for the bumpy ride to evidence-based practice. AJODO 127(1):4-5.
- Huang GJ. 2005. What do we want to know? AJODO 127(6):648-9.
- Huang GJ. 2006. Bigfoot lives? AJODO 129(3):323-4.
- Huang GJ. 2006. Accessing evidence via the internet. AJODO 130(2):129-30.
- Huang GJ. 2007 Early mandibular first molar removal because of caries facilitates eruption of the ipsilateral third molar. J Evid Base Dent Pract 7:25-6.
- Huang GJ. 2007. AGD master’s level dentists provide little or no orthodontic care. J Evid Base Dent Pract 7:88-9.
- Huang GJ. 2007. Things that make me nervous. AJODO 131(5):579-80. (reprinted as a guest editorial in the Washington Stated Dental Association News. 2007, 54(10):5-7, and in the Delaware Dental Association Newsletter, Sept/Oct 2007.)
- Huang GJ. 2008. Posterior unilateral crossbite does not appear to be a risk factor for TMJ clicking in young adolescents. J Evid Base Dent Pract 8:43-4.
- Huang GJ.2008. Fourth and forty? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134(2):174-5.
- Huang GJ. 2009. Insufficient evidence to conclude that orthodontic patients derive benefits from using power toothbrushes. JADA 140(7): 914-5.
- Thurman MM and Huang GJ. 2009. Insufficient evidence to support the use of stabilization splints over other active interventions in the treatment of temporomandibular myofascial pain. JADA 140(12): 1524-5.
- DaBell J and Huang GJ. 2010. Evidence indicates minimal short-term space loss after premature loss of primary first molars. JADA 141(1): 77-8.
Text Books and Journals
- Orthodontics: current principles and techniques, 5th Edition. Graber, Vanarsdall, and Vig. Chapter 29: searching for the evidence for practice. (June, 2011)
- Evidence-based orthodontics. Huang, Richmond, and Vig, editors (May, 2011)
- Evidence-based orthodontics. Huang, Richmond, and Vig, editors. Chapter on Open-bite (May, 2011)
- Seminars in Orthodontics (Evidence-based Orthodontics issue). 2013:19(3). Vig and Huang, guest editors.