Sampath Narayanan, PhD
Adjunct Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Inflammation, fibrosis (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, drug induced gingival overgrowth) and wound healing. Fibroblast growth regulation: Signaling mechanisms, cyclins, Cdks. Cell adhesion and recruitment: signaling mechanisms. Markers for fibroblasts, fibrosis. Molecular biology of collagen regulation and its biosynthesis; nature and function of interactions of noncollagenous proteins with collagens. Connective tissue alterations associated with acquired diseases; connective tissue regeneration and periodontal reattachment. Biosynthesis of elastin; crosslinking of tropoelastin into elastin in vivo.
PATH 544 – General and Systemic Pathology
- Handa K, Saito M, Yamauchi M, Kiyono T, Sato S, Teranaka T, Narayanan AS. Cementum Matrix Formation In Vivo by Cultured Dental Follicle Cells. Bone 31:606-611, 2002.
- Grzesik, W J, Narayanan AS Cementum and Periodontal Wound Healing and Regeneration. Invited Review. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 13:474-484, 2002.
- Saito M, Iwase M, Maslan S, Nozaki N, Yamauchi K, Handa O, Takahashi S, Sato T, Kawase T, Teranaka T, Narayanan AS. Expression of cementum-derived attachment protein in bovine tooth germ during cementogenesis. Bone 29: 242-248, 2001.
- Yokokoji T, Narayanan AS. Role of D1 and E cyclins in cell cycle progression of human fibroblasts adhering to cementum attachment protein. J Bone Min Res 16: 1062-1067, 2001.
- Bartold PM, McCulloch CAG, Narayanan AS, Pitaru S. Tissue engineering. A new paradigm for periodontal regeneration based on molecular and cell biology. Periodontology 2000 24:253-269, 2000.
- Komaki M, Kang M, Narayanan AS. Role of MAP kinases p42erk-2/p44erk-1 in cementum-derived attachment protein mediated cell attachment. J Dental Res 79:1789-1793, 2000.
- Saito M, Narayanan AS. Signaling reactions induced in human fibroblasts during adhesion to cementum-derived attachment protein. J Bone Miner Res 14:65-72, 1999.
- Lurton J, Rose TM, Narayanan AS, Raghu G. Isolation of a gene product expressed by a subpopulation of human lung fibroblasts by differential display. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 20:327-331, 1999.
- Liu HW, Pitaru S, Savion N, Narayanan AS. A new collagenous cementum-derived attachment protein is a marker for progenitors of the mineralized tissues forming cell lineage in periodontal ligament. J Bone Miner Res, 12:1691-1699, 1997.