Lloyd Mancl, PhD
Office: Health Sciences, B224g
Research Associate Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Adjunct Research Associate Professor, Biostatistics
(School of Public Health)
Adjunct Research Associate Professor, Pediatric Dentistry
His research interests are in statistical methods for dental research, with an emphasis on longitudinal and correlated data and applied research on caries, temporomandibular disorders, and periodontal disease. For over 15 years he has served as a biostatistician on numerous and varied research projects, including basic science and experimental studies, large observational and longitudinal studies, single and multi-center randomized clinical trials, and practice based research. Currently, he is the director of the Statistics & Data Coordinating Center for the Northwest Center to Reduced Oral Health Disparities, anda co-investigator in the Data & Coordinating Center for Northwest Practice-based Research Collaborative in Evidence-based Dentistry (NW-PRECEDENT).
- Richman JA, Huebner CE, Leggott PJ, Mouradian WE, Mancl LA. “Beyond word recognition: understanding pediatric oral health literacy.” Pediatric Dentistry, 2011; 33(5): 420-425. PMCID: In process
- Chen IC, Brudvik JS, Mancl LA, Rubenstein JE, Chitswe K, Raigrodski AJ. “Freedom of rotation of selected overdenture attachments: An in vitro study.” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 2011; 106(2): 78-86.
- Turner JA, Mancl L, Huggins HK, Sherman JJ, Lentz G, Leresche L. “Targeting temporomandibular disorder pain treatment to hormonal fluctuations: A randomized clinical trial.” Pain, 2011; 152(9): 2074-2084. PMCID: PMC3157596.
- Janssens KAM, Rosmalen JGM, Ormel J, Verhulst FC, Hunfeld JAM, Mancl LA, Oldehinkel AJ, LeResche L. “Pubertal status predicts back pain, overtiredness, and dizziness in American and Dutch adolescents.” Pediatrics, 2011; 128: 553-559. PMCID: PMC3164091
- Rothen M, Cunha-Cruz J, Mancl L, Leroux B, Davis BL, Coyne J, Gillette J, Berg J. “Inter-examiner reliability of salivary diagnostic tests in a practice-based research network.” The Journal of Dental Hygiene, 2011; 85(2): 143-150. PMCID: In process
- Castillo JL, Rivera S, Aparicio T, Lazo R, Aw TC, Mancl L, Milgrom P. “The short-term effects of diammine silver on tooth sensitivity: a randomized controlled trial.” Journal of Dental Research, 2011; 90(2): 203-208.
- Milgrom P, Ly KA, Tut OK, Mancl L, Roberts M, Briand K, Gancio MJ. “Xylitol pediatric topical oral syrup to prevent dental caries: a double-blind randomized clinical trial of efficacy.” Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 2009;163(7):601-7. (IADR Aubrey Sheiham Award for Distinguished Research in Dental Public Health Sciences, 2010). PMCID: PMC2722805
- LeResche, L., Mancl, L.A., Drangsholt, M.T., Huang, G. “Predictors of onset of facial pain and temporomandibular disorders in early adolescents.” Pain, 129, 269-278, 2007. PMCID: PMC1979093 (IADR Aubrey Sheiham Award for Distinguished Research in Dental Public Health Sciences, 2008)
- DeRouen T.A., Hujoel P., Leroux B., Mancl L., Sherman J., Hilton T., Berg J., Ferracance J. for the Northwest Practice-based Research Collaborative in Evidence-based Dentistry (PRECEDENT). “Preparing practicing dentists to engage in practice-based research.” Journal of the American Dental Association, 139, 339-345, 2008.
- Leroux, B.G., Mancl, L.A., DeRouen, T.A. “Group sequential testing in dental clinical trials with longitudinal data on multiple outcome variables.” Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 14, 591-602 2005. Mancl L.A., Hujoel P.P., DeRouen T.A. “Efficiency issues among statistical methods for demonstrating efficacy of caries prevention – site versus subject.” Journal of Dental Research, 83 (Special Issue C), C95-C98, 2004.
- Dworkin, S.F., Huggins, K.H., Wilson, L., Mancl, L., Turner, J., Massoth, D., LeResche, L, Truelove, E. “A randomized clinical trial using research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders – Axis II to target clinic cases for a tailored self-care TMD treatment program.” Journal of Orofacial Pain, 16, 48-63. (Giddon Award for Distinguished Research in the Behavioral Sciences. Awarded by the Behavioral Sciences and Health Services Research Group of the International Association of Dental Research, 2003.)
- Mancl, L.A., DeRouen, T.A. “A covariance estimator for GEE with improved small sample properties.” Biometrics, 57, 126-134, 2001.
- Mancl, L.A., Leroux, B.G., DeRouen, T.A. “Between-subject and within-subject statistical information in dental research.” Journal of Dental Research, 79, 1778-1781, 2000.
- Milgrom, P., Mancl, L., King, B., Weinstein, P., Wells, N., Jeffcott, E. “An explanatory model of the dental care utilization of low income children.” Medical Care, 36, 554-566 1998. (Giddon Award for Distinguished Research in the Behavioral Sciences. Awarded by the Behavioral Sciences and Health Services Research Group of the International Association of Dental Research, 1999.)
- Mancl, L.A., Leroux, B.G. “Efficiency of regression estimates for clustered data.” Biometrics, 52,500-511, 1996.