Kenneth Izutsu, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Oral Health Sciences
Primary interest is in basic biology and pathobiology of salivary glands. Previously characterized ion channels and calcium signaling components in gingival keratinocytes and salivary gland cells; and their alteration or activation in interactions with Porphyromonas gingivalis (in collaboration with former faculty member Dr. Richard Lamont, now at the University of Florida, Gainesville). Earlier and renewed studies involve salivary changes in Graft versus Host and other diseases.
- Fatherazi S, Presland RB, Belton CM, Goodwin P, Al-Qutub M, Trbic Z, Macdonald G, Schubert MM, Izutsu KT. (2006) Evidence that TRPC4 supports the calcium selective I(CRAC)-like current in human gingival keratinocytes. Pflugers Arch.
- Cai S, Fatherazi S, Presland RB, Belton CM, Roberts FA, Goodwin PC, Schubert MM, Izutsu KT. (2006) Evidence that TRPC1 contributes to calcium-induced differentiation of human keratinocytes. Pflugers Arch, 452, 43-52.
- Cai S, Fatherazi S, Presland RB, Belton CM, Izutsu KT. (2005) TRPC channel expression during calcium-induced differentiation of human gingival keratinocytes. J Dermatol Sci, 40, 21-8.
- Fatherazi S, Belton CM, Cai S, Zarif S, Goodwin PC, Lamont RJ, Izutsu KT. (2004) Calcium receptor message, expression and function decrease in differentiating keratinocytes. Pflugers Arch, 448, 93-104.
- Belton CM, Goodwin PC, Fatherazi S, Schubert MM, Lamont RJ, Izutsu KT. (2004) Calcium oscillations in gingival epithelial cells infected with Porphyromonas gingivalis. Microbes Infect, 6, 440-7.
- Fatherazi S, Belton CM, Izutsu KT. (2003) Sequential activation of store-operated currents in human gingival keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol, 121, 120-31.
- Rutherford RB, Racenis P, Fatherazi S, Izutsu K. (2003) Bone formation by BMP-7-transduced human gingival keratinocytes. J Dent Res, 82, 293-7.
- Belton CM, Izutsu KT, Goodwin PC, Park Y, Lamont RJ. (1999) Fluorescence image analysis of the association between Porphyromonas gingivalis and gingival epithelial cells. Cell Microbiol, 1, 215-23.
- Izutsu KT, Belton CM, Chan A, Fatherazi S, Kanter JP, Park Y, Lamont RJ. (1996) Involvement of calcium in interactions between gingival epithelial cells and Porphyromonas gingivalis. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 144, 145-50.
- Izutsu KT, Fatherazi S, Belton CM, Oda D, Cartwright FD, Kenny GE. (1996) Mycoplasma orale infection affects K+ and Cl- currents in the HSG salivary gland cell line. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim, 32, 361-5.
- Lamont RJ, Chan A, Belton CM, Izutsu KT, Vasel D, Weinberg A. (1995) Porphyromonas gingivalis invasion of gingival epithelial cells. Infect Immun, 63, 3878-85.
- Izutsu KT, Cantino ME, Johnson DE. (1994) A review of electron probe X-ray microanalysis studies of salivary gland cells. Microsc Res Tech, 27, 71-9.
- Izutsu KT, Fatherazi S, Wellner RB, Herrington J, Belton CM, Oda D. (1994) Characteristics and regulation of a muscarinically activated K current in HSG-PA cells. Am J Physiol, 266, C58-66.
- Izutsu K, Wilkinson L, Oda D, Kayton R, Chen SW, Cantino M, Johnson D. (1991) Comparison of elemental concentrations in the acinar cells of the human labial salivary gland. Arch Oral Biol, 36, 727-35.
- Izutsu KT, Ensign WY, Ramsey BW, Schubert MM, Allan BJ, Truelove EL. (1989) Potassium release in labial glands from controls and patients with cystic fibrosis. Lab Invest, 60, 158-60.
- Izutsu K, Ensign W, Ramsey B, Schubert M, Allan B, Truelove E. (1988) Autonomic regulation of potassium release from human labial salivary glands in vitro. Arch Oral Biol, 33, 519-23.
- Izutsu KT, Johnson DE, Goddard M. (1987) Intracellular elemental concentrations in resting and secreting rat parotid glands. J Dent Res, 66, 537-40.
- Izutsu KT, Schubert MM, Truelove EL, Johnson DE. (1987) Use of human minor salivary glands in basic and applied secretion research. J Dent Res, 66 Spec No, 654-9.
- Izutsu KT, Menard TW, Schubert MM, Ensign WY, Sullivan K, Truelove EL, Thomas ED. (1985) Graft versus host disease-related secretory immunoglobulin A deficiency in bone marrow transplant recipients. Findings in labial saliva. Lab Invest, 52, 292-7.
- Izutsu K, Johnson D, Schubert M, Wang E, Ramsey B, Tamarin A, Truelove E, Ensign W, Young M. (1985) Electron microprobe analysis of human labial gland secretory granules in cystic fibrosis. J Clin Invest, 75, 1951-6.
- Izutsu KT, Schubert MM, Truelove EL, Shulman HM, Sale GE, Morton TH, Ensign WY, Mersai T, Sullivan KM, Oberg S, Thomas ED. (1983) The predictive value of elevated labial saliva sodium concentration: its relation to labial gland pathology in bone marrow transplant recipients. Hum Pathol, 14, 29-35.
- Izutsu KT, Sullivan KM, Schubert MM, Truelove EL, Shulman HM, Sale GE, Morton TH, Rice JC, Witherspoon RP, Storb R, Thomas ED. (1983) Disordered salivary immunoglobulin secretion and sodium transport in human chronic graft-versus-host disease. Transplantation, 35, 441-6.
- Izutsu KT, Truelove EL, Bleyer WA, Anderson WM, Schubert MM, Rice JC. (1981) Whole saliva albumin as an indicator of stomatitis in cancer therapy patients. Cancer, 48, 1450-4.