Beverly Dale-Crunk, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Oral Health Sciences
The central focus of work in the Dale-Crunk laboratory is the expression of antimicrobial peptides as part of the epithelial barrier and their role in the normal innate defenses of oral mucosa. Regulation of antimicrobial peptides expression by bacterial exposure, the epithelial cell signaling pathways, and the role of these peptides in oral health and disease are under investigation. Studies utilize biochemical methods, cell culture, and molecular genetics.
- Tao, R., Jurevic, R.J., Coulton, K.K., Tsutsui, M.J., Roberts, M.C., Kimball, J.R., Wells, N.J., Berndt, J., Dale, B.A. Salivary antimicrobial peptide expression and dental caries experience in children. Antimicrob. Agents Chemo. 49:3883-88, 2005.
- Chung, W.O. and Dale, B.A. Innate immune response of oral and foreskin keratinocytes: utilization of different signaling pathways by various bacterial species. Infect. Immun. 72:352-358, 2004.
- Dale, B.A.: Discovery! Fascination with Epithelia: architecture, proteins, and functions. J. Dent. Res. 92:866-869, 2003.
- Krisanaprakornkit, S., Jotikasthira, D., Dale, B.A. Intracellular calcium in signaling human b-defensin-2 expression in oral epithelial cells. J. Dent. Res. 82: 877-882, 2003.
- Zeeuwen, P.L.J.M., Dale, B.A., deJongh, G.J., vanVlijmen-Willems, I.M.J.J., Fleckman, P., Kimball, J.R., Stephens, K., Schalkwijk, J. The human cystatin M/E gene (CST6): exclusion as a candidate gene for harlequin ichthyosis. J. Invest. Dermatol. 121:65-68, 2003.
- Dunnwald, M., Stephens, K., Zuberi, A.R., Sundberg, J.P., Fleckman, P., Dale, B.A.: The ichq mouse, a model for human harlequin ichthyosis: mapping and consideration of candidate genes involved in epidermal differentiation. Exp. Dermatology 12(3):245-54, 2003.
- Dinulos, J.G.H., Mentele, L., Fredericks, L.P., Dale, B.A., Darmstadt, G.L. Keratinocyte expression of human b-defensin-2 following bacterial infection: role in cutaneous host defense. Clin. Diag Lab. Immunol. 10:161-66, 2003.
- Jurevic, R.J., Bai, M., Chadwick, R.B., White, T.C., Dale, B.A.: Single nucleotide polymorphisms in human beta-defensin-1: High throughput assays and association with Candida carriage in type 1 diabetics and non-diabetic controls. J. Clin. Micro. 41:90-96, 2003.
- Dale, B.A., Periodontal epithelium: a newly recognized role in health and disease. Perio 2000 30: 70-78, 2002.
- Jurevic, R.J., Chrisman, P., Livingston, R. M., Dale B.A.: Single nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotype analysis in beta defensin genes in different ethnic populations. Genetic Testing 6:261-9, 2002.