Whasun “Sun” Oh Chung, PhD
Research Associate Professor, Oral Health Sciences
Director, Summer Research Fellowship, School of Dentistry
- Gingival innate immunity to commensal vs. pathogenic bacteria
- Titanate-metal complexes as new antimicrobials in dentistry
- Epigenetic regulations in oral health and disease
- Differential utilization of signaling pathways in oral innate immune regulation
- Cross-communication between epithelial cell receptors in innate immune responses
- Role of protease inhibitors in periodontal health and disease
- Regulation of human beta-defensins in oral epithelial cells
- DENT 550B – Research Methods (Director)
- ORALB 520 – Molecular Microbiology and Oral Diseases (Participating Faculty)
- ORALB 579 – Molecular biology (Participating Faculty)
- Kretschmar, S., L. Yin, F.A. Roberts, R. London, T.T. Flemmig, D. Arushanov, K. Kaiyala and W.O. Chung. 2011. Protease inhibitor levels in periodontal health and disease. Journal of Periodontal Research, E-published 2011 Oct 27.
- Chung, W.O., J. Wataha, D. Hobbs, J. An, J. Wong, C. Park, S. Dogan, M. Elvington and B. Rutherford. 2011. Peroxotitanate and monosodium metal-titanate compounds as inhibitors of bacterial growth. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 97(3):348-354.
- Yin, L., and W.O. Chung. 2011. Epigenetic regulation of gingival innate immune responses to oral bacteria. Mucosal Immunology, 4(4):409-419.
- Rohani,M.G., D.H. DiJulio, J.A. An, B.M. Hacker, B.A. Daleand W.O. Chung. 2010. PAR1- and PAR2-induced innate immune markers are negatively regulated by PI3K/Akt signaling pathway in oral keratinocytes. BMC Immunology, 11:53, E-published 2010 Oct 28.
- Yin, L., T. Chino, O.V. Horst, B.M. Hacker, E.A. Clark, B.A. Dale and W.O. Chung. 2010. Differential and coordinated expression of defensins and cytokines by gingival epithelial cells and dendritic cells in response to oral bacteria. BMC Immunology, 11:37. E-published 2010 Jul 9.
- Yin, L., B. Swanson, J. An, B.M. Hacker, G.A. Silverman, B.A. Dale and W.O. Chung. 2010. Differential effects of periopathogens on host protease inhibitors SLPI, elafin, SCCA1, and SCCA2. Journal of Oral Microbiology. E-published 2010 May 4.
- Chung, W.O., J. An, L. Yin, B.M. Hacker, M.G. Rohani, H. Dommisch, and D.H. DiJulio. 2010. Interplay of Protease-activated receptors and nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain in gingival epithelial innate immune responses. Immunology Letters, 131(2):113-9.
- Rohani,M.G.,R.P. Beyer, B.M. Hacker, H. Dommisch, B.A. Daleand W.O. Chung. 2010. Modulation of expression of innate immunity markers CXCL5/ENA-78 and CCL20/MIP3α by Protease-activated Receptors (PARs) in human gingival epithelial cells. Innate Immunity,16(2):104-14.