Dental Materials Science
1, 2 Credits Per Quarter, 3 Credits Total / Quarters 2-3 (First Year, Winter-Spring)
Lecture on physical, mechanical, chemical, and biological behavior of a variety of dental materials. Clinical relevance also demonstrated.
The student will gain knowledge of the basic concepts of dental materials. The objective will be for the student to be able to describe the physical, mechanical, chemical, biologic properties, and clinical applications, of the dental materials commonly used in the fabrication and placement of direct and cast restorations.
Lecture topics include scope and history of dental materials, structure of matter and surface phenomena, optical, thermal, electrical, and other properties, mechanical properties, nature of metals and alloys, dental casting alloys and pure gold, dental amalgam, polymers and polymerization, polymers in prosthetic dentistry, direct filling restorative resins, resin adhesives, and glass ionomer, impression materials, gypsum products, dental waxes, casting investments, cements, bases, liners, and sealers, abrasives, abrasion, and polishing, ceramic and porcelain.
To successfully meet the requirements of this course, students are expected to attend lectures and to demonstrate their understanding of the lecture topics and supplemental reading through a midterm and final examinations.
Professional and ethical behavior is expected throughout all lectures, laboratory sessions, and other course activities. Completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 2: Communicate the risks and benefits of proposed care and alternative treatment strategies available, then obtain expressed consent for treatment conveyed by a patient or legal guardian.
- UWSOD Competency 7: Manage pulpal and periradicular disease.
- UWSOD Competency 16: Manage diseases and conditions of the teeth.
- Dental Materials Science (Syllabus), Albert Chung, Glen H. Johnson and Jack I. Nicholls
- Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials, 12th Edition, 2006. John M. Powers and Ronald L. Sakaguchi (ed.)
- Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry, 3rd Edition, 2006, by Summit , Robbins, Hilton and Schwartz.
- Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics, 3rd Edition, 1997, by Shillingburg, Hobo, Whitsett, Jacobi and Brackett.
- Course Website
*last updated: 2/11/2013