UW School of Dentistry
Removable Partial Denture Design
2 Credits / Quarter 5 (Autumn, Second Year)
This course presents the principles of removable partial denture design for various partially edentulous situations. The course is comprised of a series of lectures and laboratory excises. No clinic sessions are included.
The objective of this course is for students to be able to design an RPD for a patient, which will be acceptable from a physiological and mechanical viewpoint. An overall objective of this course is to ensure that students possess the knowledge, skills and values to begin the practice of general dentistry.
Lecture topics include: indications for RPDs, classification, components, clasp selection, rests, how to use the surveyor (including a seminar on surveying), major and minor connectors, indirect retainers, tooth recontouring, abutment crowns, swinglock RPDs, Class III and IV RPDs and rotational path of insertion RPDs.
To successfully meet the requirements of this course, the student is expected to attend lectures and seminars and to demonstrate understanding of the lecture topics through cast design assignments, quizzes and a final examination. Professional and ethical behavior is expected throughout all lectures, labs, and other course activities.
Effective Winter Quarter 2007, completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 1: Examine a patient using contemporary diagnostic methods to evaluate the head and neck region and to reach a diagnosis of the patient’s oral and craniofacial health status.
- UWSOD Competency 2: Communicate the risks and benefits of proposed care and alternative treatment strategies available, then obtain expressed consent for treatment conveyed by a patient or legal guardian.
- UWSOD Competency 3: Formulate a comprehensive treatment plan based on diagnostic findings, then implement treatment in a safe, properly sequenced and timely manner.
- UWSOD Competency 11: Diagnose and manage hard and soft tissue lesions and diseases of the orofacial complex.
- UWSOD Competency 14: Manage periodontal diseases.
- UWSOD Competency 16: Manage diseases and conditions of the teeth.
- UWSOD Competency 17: Manage replacement of teeth for the partially or completely edentulous patient.
- UWSOD Competency 21: Recognize the role of lifelong learning and self-assessment in maintaining competency.
- UWSOD Competency 22: Utilize critical thinking in assessing technical and scientific information for use in identifying patient needs and treatments.
- PROS 523 Syllabus
- Removable Partial Denture Design Syllabus, Frank, Bolender and Lord, 2004
*last updated: 11/7/2011