1 Credit Per Quarter, 3 Credits Total / Quarters 9-11 (Autumn-Spring, Third Year)
Clinical experience in examination, preventive periodontics, instrumentation, and treatment planning of periodontal therapy in patients with periodontal disease.
The student will gain knowledge in the principles of clinical periodontics. The objectives will be for the student to be able to (1) evaluate the periodontium and assign a diagnosis and prognosis, (2) develop a treatment plan, (3) provide timely and appropriate patient care, and (4) perform preventive procedures including patient education and non-surgical debridement.
Students are scheduled into Periodontics clinic one ½ day per week as part of their clinical rotations.
To meet the requirements of this course successfully, the student must treat assigned patients in a stepwise manner, perform patient care, and be able to describe clinical conditions or improvements in patient periodontal status.
By the end of Quarter 11 students must have at least 80% attendance, have completed a minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 surgical assists in the Grad Perio clinic, and have successfully passed competency exams in Exam and Treatment Planning and Scaling and Root Planing. Daily grades will be modified at the end of the year depending on quantitative performance.
Effective Winter Quarter 2007, completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 1: Examine a patient using contemporary diagnostic methods to evaluate the head and neck region and to reach a diagnosis of the patient’s oral and craniofacial health status.
- UWSOD Competency 3: Formulate a comprehensive treatment plan based on diagnostic findings, then implement treatment in a safe, properly sequenced and timely manner.
- UWSOD Competency 4: Provide patient education in the prevention of oral diseases to promote oral and general health.
- UWSOD Competency 7: Manage pulpal and periradicular disease.
- UWSOD Competency 11: Diagnose and manage hard and soft tissue lesions and diseases of the orofacial complex.
- UWSOD Competency 14: Manage periodontal diseases.
- UWSOD Competency 15: Assess the teeth and supporting structures and provide preventive services.
- UWSOD Competency 25: Manage a diverse patient population and have the interpersonal and communication skills to function successfully in a multicultural work environment.
- UWSOD Competency 26: Evaluate the outcomes of treatment.
- Clinical PERIODONTOLOGY by Newman, Takei, Klokkevold, and Carranza, 10th ed. 2006
- The Red Tape of Clinical Periodontics
- Lecture notes from PERIO 530-531
*last updated: 11/7/2011