Dental Education and Care of the Disabled
1 Credit / Quarter 8 (Summer, Second Year)
This is a lecture course addressing the special needs and dental management of patients with developmental disabilities such as Down’s syndrome, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and other conditions such as head trauma.
Learn how to gather appropriate data and integrate information into plans and practices relevant to the routine management of patients in dental practices.
- Dental management of patients with developmental and acquired disabilities
- The sensory impaired patient
- Wheelchair transfers
- Mental illness
- Death and dying issues
- Impact of visible abnormalities on families and health care professionals
- Use of adaptive aids for dental disease prevention
- Attendance at all lectures
- Final examination
Effective Winter Quarter 2007, completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 1: Examine a patient using contemporary diagnostic methods to evaluate the head and neck region and to reach a diagnosis of the patient’s oral and craniofacial health status.
- UWSOD Competency 3: Formulate a comprehensive treatment plan based on diagnostic findings, then implement treatment in a safe, properly sequenced and timely manner.
- UWSOD Competency 4: Provide patient education in the prevention of oral diseases to promote oral and general health.
- UWSOD Competency 5: Recognize the limits of their expertise and seek consultation with other health care providers to facilitate patient care.
- UWSOD Competency 7: Manage pulpal and periradicular disease.
- UWSOD Competency 8: Manage dental emergencies.
- UWSOD Competency 14: Manage periodontal diseases.
- UWSOD Competency 16: Manage diseases and conditions of the teeth.
- UWSOD Competency 25: Manage a diverse patient population and have the interpersonal and communication skills to function successfully in a multicultural work environment.
Course Syllabus, handouts
*last updated: 11/7/2011