Extramural Clinic in Geriatrics
Susanne Kölare Jeffrey
2 Credits / Quarters 12-15 (Summer, Third Year + Autumn-Spring, Fourth Year)*
Extramural geriatric clinical experience including either nursing home or geriatric mobile clinic and a brief didactic component.
*This rotation is offered multiple quarters. Each student enrolls and receives credit for one quarter.
The purpose of this clinical rotation is for the student to gain knowledge and experience in the dental needs of the geriatric dental patient in an extramural site, integrating dental screening and treatment with other health and social services. For the 2012/2013 rotations, the sites that will be offered are the Foss nursing home and the Geriatric Mobile Clinic.
Students will spend three full days at an extramural geriatric care site.
To successfully meet the requirements of this course, the student must:
1. Attend extramural site assignments, and
a. Discuss and present a treatment plan for one patient seen during the rotation, OR
b. participate in an educational presentation given at FOSS nursing home/mobile geriatric clinic OR
c. give a presentation on a chosen topic of special interest to Geriatric Dentistry
Effective Winter Quarter 2007, completion of on-line course evaluation is a requirement of this course. Failure to comply will result in an “Incomplete” grade being assigned.
- UWSOD Competency 1: Examine a patient using contemporary diagnostic methods to evaluate the head and neck region and to reach a diagnosis of the patient’s oral and craniofacial health status.
- UWSOD Competency 3: Formulate a comprehensive treatment plan based on diagnostic findings, then implement treatment in a safe, properly sequenced and timely manner.
- UWSOD Competency 4: Provide patient education in the prevention of oral diseases to promote oral and general health.
- UWSOD Competency 7: Manage pulpal and periradicular disease.
- UWSOD Competency 8: Manage dental emergencies.
- UWSOD Competency 14: Manage periodontal diseases.
- UWSOD Competency 16: Manage diseases and conditions of the teeth.
- UWSOD Competency 25: Manage a diverse patient population and have the interpersonal and communication skills to function successfully in a multicultural work environment.
*last updated: 8/6/2012