UW School of Dentistry

In Memoriam

We note with sadness the passing of these classmates, colleagues and friends. Starting with the fall 2013 issue of the Dental Alumni News, we are posting a fuller accounting of their lives on this page, along with  links to online sources for those who would like to view or post in a memorial guestbook.


Dr. BaconDr. Richard Edward “Dick” Bacon passed away on July 14, 2013, in Ellensburg, Wash. He was 93.

Dr. Bacon was born on Jan. 9, 1920, in Wapato, Wash., to Stella and John Bacon. He attended grade school in Yakima, Wash., and graduated from Ellensburg High School in 1938. He took college courses at Central Washington University prior to enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps. He graduated from flight school in Corpus Christi, Texas, where he met the love of his life, Clara Foreman, from Waterloo, Iowa. They had one date, married in March 1943 and lived in wedded bliss for 70 years. Two weeks after marrying, he was sent to the Pacific Theater as a World War II dive-bomber pilot, proudly achieving the rank of captain. He served in Guadalcanal, New Georgia and Bougainville for 18 months. Upon return, he was stationed in North Carolina to prepare for a 13-month assignment to China. In 1945, he was honorably discharged with multiple decorations in Seattle.

Dr. Bacon attended the University of Washington School of Dentistry and graduated with the first class of licensed dentists in 1950.  He began his dental practice in Seattle, relocated to Chelan, Wash., for seven years, then returned to Ellensburg in 1957. He retired in 1982. He loved golf, bridge, gin rummy and, of course, his daily Yahtzee games with Clara.

Dr. Bacon is survived by his wife, Clara; sons Robert of Vancouver and Gregory; daughter Midge (Ed) Church of Pe Ell, Wash.; grandchildren Trevor, Stephanie, Courtney, Cari and Taylor; and great- grandchildren Holly, Christian, Tatum, Haley, Seth and Jake. (Ellensburg Daily Record)


Dr. DrescherDr. Melvin James Drescher of East Wenatchee, Wash., died on Dec. 3, 2013. He was 90.

Dr. Drescher was born to Melvin and Mary Belle Greene Drescher on Nov. 1, 1923 in Lincoln, Neb. The family moved to Olympia, Wash., in 1927. After graduating from Olympia High School in 1942, he attended several colleges in the V-12 Navy College Training Program and served in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

On Aug. 4, 1946, Dr. Drescher married Marijo Loudin at the First Christian Church in Olympia. They settled into GI housing in Seattle’s Union Bay Village while he attended the School of Dentistry, where he was a member of the first graduating class.

After graduation, they moved to East Wenatchee, where Dr. Drescher established his practice in the King Street Building, retiring in 1994. He was well known for his compassionate care, quick wit and storytelling and for always whistling a joyful tune.

With his family, Dr. Drescher enjoyed hunting, fishing, skiing, backpacking and golf. He was a member of the American Dental Association, Wenatchee Swim & Tennis Club and Wenatchee Central Lions Club. He also served as a Boy Scout leader.

Dr. Drescher is survived by his daughter, Melinda Gulstine, of Lake Oswego, Ore.; his sons and daughters-in-law, Matt and Sunshine Drescher of Sun River, Ore., Brett and Janis Drescher and Doug Drescher and Stacey King of Orondo, Wash., and Adam and Jeri Drescher of East Wenatchee; 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife of 64 years, Marijo, who died in 2010. (Wenatchee World)


Dr. McLaughlinDr. Robert Gerald McLaughlin passed away peacefully on June 19, 2014. He was 94.

Dr. McLaughlin was born to Grover and Mildred McLaughlin on March 19, 1920 in Seattle. He graduated from Garfield High School and attended the University of Washington, where he was a member of the track team and a member of the School of Dentistry’s first graduating class.

An Army Air Force pilot during World War II, he continued flying well into his 70s. He and his wife, Jean, married in 1944. They raised their children, Marian and Bob, on Mercer Island, where they lived until 2011.

Dr. McLaughlin was a member of the Seattle Yacht Club for more than 60 years and one of the founding members of the Orcas Island Tennis Club. He continued to play tennis into his 80s and loved making his opponents run with his two-handed play and slice shots. The McLaughlins enjoyed spending the winter months in Palm Springs, Calif., after he retired from his dentistry practice in Seattle’s Safeco Building in 1990.

Dr. McLaughlin was a great dad, but an even better “Poppy” to his granddaughters, whom he showered with love and spoiled beyond and above. He was also a die-hard Husky fan and 60-plus-year football season ticket holder.

Dr. McLaughlin is survived by his children, Marian Gentry (Paul) and Bob; granddaughters Megan Patton (Jeff), Heidi Hammersley (Grant), Shaun Myers (Jeff) and Taryn Hudgens (Mike); and great-grandchildren Andrew, Lindley, Hudson, Hope and Brody. (Seattle Times)


Warren McNealDr. Warren Franklyn McNeal died peacefully in his sleep on Jan. 25, 2014 in Tacoma, Wash. He was 87.

Dr. McNeal was born to Charles Franklyn and Virginia Brady McNeal in Auburn, Wash. He graduated from Lincoln High School in Tacoma. He joined the Navy ROTC and studied at Gonzaga University before transferring to the University of Washington. There he joined the ATO fraternity and met fellow student Jane Bishop. They married in 1949, just before his graduation from the School of Dentistry, and were lifelong Husky fans.

The McNeals moved to Yakima, Wash., in 1951 to start his practice and raise a family. In 1961, Dr. McNeal returned to the UW for a two-year program in Orthodontics. He graduated in 1963 and had a successful practice until his retirement. He lived a life defined by adventure, as an Eagle Scout, professional, father, sailor and world traveler. The McNeals moored their sailboat, the “Desert Hawk,” at Shilshole Bay Marina in Seattle for three decades.

Upon retirement, they built a home in La Conner, Wash., where they made many friends and had fond memories of their time together. They loved exploring the Northwest waters, circumnavigating Vancouver Island and chartering boats in foreign seas. Together, they traveled to every continent.

Dr. McNeal is survived by his wife of 65 years, Jane; children Charlie (Patty), Sarah (Chuck) Kuhn, Peter (Janice) and Joan (Gary) Peterson; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. (www.legacy.com)


Dr. NelsonDr. Alton Marvin Grande Nelson passed away on July 4, 2014 in Kirkland, Wash. He was 90.

Dr. Nelson was born to Levi and Emma Nelson in 1924 in Grand Forks, N.D. He met the love of his life, Helen Starr, while they attended Carlton College in Northfield, Minn. Soon after, he went into the Air Force to serve in the Pacific Theater of WWII as a navigator/bombardier in the B-25 Mitchell Bomber. Immediately after returning from the war in December 1945, the couple married in her hometown of Tracy, Minn. They moved to Seattle in 1946 so he could attend the University of Washington. He was in the School of Dentistry’s first graduating class.

The Nelsons lived in Seattle for the next 63 years. Dr. Nelson practiced in the Mount Baker district and then on Capitol Hill. His wife managed the dental practice and was also his assistant.

He participated in the Seattle Kiwanis Club for several years and enjoyed playing bridge with friends. Together, the Nelsons raised their four children, worked in their garden, explored family genealogy and took trips and cruises.

Dr. Nelson is survived by his sons Randy (Martha), Brian (Miki) and Philip (Debbie); nine grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen, his daughter, Cindy Peterson, and his sister, Darlyne Bendickson. (Seattle Times)


Dr. Robert Lee Anderson passed away on March 10, 2014, with family members at his side. He was 94.

Dr. Anderson was born on April 7, 1919 in York, Neb. In 1931, his family moved to Seattle, where he graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1937, became an Eagle Scout and later spent many years as a scoutmaster. He earned a BS in anatomy from the UW in 1942. He served with distinction as a lieutenant and then as a captain with the 2nd Armored Division in Europe during World War II and was highly decorated for valor. He also served as a dental officer in the Army during the Korean War. He practiced in Seattle until his retirement in 1999 and served as president of the Washington State Dental Association in 1974.

Dr. Anderson is survived by his wife of 71 years, Doris, of Lynnwood, Wash.; children William, David, Donald Gregory, Debra and Emilie; grandchildren; and great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his son James in 1952. (Seattle Times)


Dr. William Christianson died on Dec. 5, 2013 in Coupeville, Wash., after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 88 and affectionately known as “Doc” or “Chris.”

Dr. Christianson was born on Sept. 13, 1925 to Victor and Orpha Christianson in Seaview, Wash. He grew up in Longview and graduated from R.A. Long High School in 1943. He was an accomplished musician at an early age and played the piano and trombone. One of his favorite teenage memories was playing with a band that christened the Kalakala Ferry. He learned to snow ski on Mount St. Helens. After high school, he served in the Army Air Force during World War II and was part of his unit’s band. He attended college at Lower Columbia and Montana State before earning his DDS at the University of Washington. Soon thereafter, he began his dental practice in Mountlake Terrace. He met the love of his life, Patricia Ward, through one of his first patients and they were married on Aug. 28, 1954 in Longview. The next year they moved to Cathlamet, Wash., where he was the town dentist for more than 35 years before retiring to Coupeville.

Dr. Christianson served on the board of the Washington State Dental Association and on the school board for Wahkiakum County. He was a member of the Longview Elks and the Lions Club and known locally for his part in the Cathlamet Little Theater. He was a great bridge player and passionate about trout and salmon fishing and deer and elk hunting. He also enjoyed bowling and golfing with friends and family. He loved dogs and collected stories and retold them with enthusiasm.  The Christiansons were beautiful dance partners. After retiring, they settled in Coupeville and spent some time wintering in Wellton, Ariz.

Dr. Christianson is survived by his wife of 59 years, Patricia, of Coupeville; daughter Kim Christianson of Cathlamet; sons Vic of Bellingham and Ron (Vicky) of Shoreline; grandchildren Kristin (Mike) Iacono of Everett and Andrew and Nicholas Christianson of Shoreline; and great-grandchildren Isabella and Athena Iacono of Everett, Wash. He was preceded in death by his granddaughter Elisa Kaye and his sister and brother-in-law Phyllis and Don Parsons. (TDN.com)


Dr. McVeyDr. Kenneth E. McVey died on May 4, 2013 in Spokane, Wash. He was 90 and the inventor of the E-VAC Dental Tip.

Dr. McVey was born to Charles and Joyce McVey on June 14, 1922 in Spokane. In his youth, he worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad. He served in the Army from 1944-46. He graduated from the UW School of Dentistry and was a member of the American Dental Society. He enjoyed many hobbies, including hunting, fishing and collecting model railroads.

Dr. McVey is survived by his wife of 69 years, Arleen; daughter Molly; sons Kent (Pam) and Kevin (Norma); grandchildren Patsy (Kevin) Bryant and Kent Charles (Sarah) McVey Jr.; and three great-grandchildren. (Legacy.com)


Dr. Harland B. Peterson died on Feb. 7, 2013. He was a beloved Tacoma dentist for 55 years. (No further details were available.)


Erik PihlDr. Erik “Bill” Pihl passed away at home in Mount Vernon, Wash., on Nov. 30, 2013. He was 85.

Dr. Pihl was born on July 24, 1928 to Hildur and Hilding Pihl, who had immigrated to Seattle the previous year from Lule, Sweden with son Per Ivar. The household was steeped in Swedish culture, values and faith, which became guideposts for Dr. Pihl’s life of service to others. The family lived in Seattle’s Sandpoint neighborhood before moving to a farm on Pontius Road in Bothell, Wash. Through his high school years, he spent long hours before and after school working on the farm. After graduating from Bothell High School, he worked as a commercial fisherman to fund his college tuition.

Dr. Pihl received his undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate degrees in Dentistry and Orthodontics from the UW. He was an ardent Husky fan and supporter of UW athletics. After dental school, he served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force, providing mobile dental services for remote bases in the Pacific Northwest. He married Louise Edholm on Aug. 12, 1956. They moved to Mount Vernon, Wash., in 1959, where he established an Orthodontics practice that spanned more than 40 years. He was a member of the two oldest Swedish Lutheran parishes in the state: Gethsemane in Seattle and Salem in Mount Vernon.

Dr. Pihl loved the Skagit Valley and hiking, climbing, skiing and hunting. He was especially fond of fishing in Alaska with Louise and his brothers and sisters. He helped many organizations with his philanthropy and his time. He was actively involved with Holden Village, served in the Lutheran Church on America’s national World Hunger task force and was an active member of Mount Vernon Rotary. During the last decades of his life, he spent many hours with a shovel and backhoe moving trees and plantings for the Western Washington Fruit Research Foundation near Mount Vernon. He also loved to visit his Swedish cousins.

Dr. Pihl is survived by his wife, Louise; children Erik, Andrea, Arne and Paul; brothers Ernest (Zora) and Martin (Darlene); sisters Elsie Soule and Karen Leander; sisters-in-law Joan Pihl and Hazel Edholm; nieces; nephews; grand-nieces; grand-nephews; and his faithful hunting dogs, Mocha and Flicka. He was preceded in death by his parents, his sister Rose Ann and his brother Ivar. (Skagit Valley Herald)


Howard ClarkDr. Howard Earl Clark passed away on Sept. 16, 2013 in Des Moines, Wash. He was 90.

Dr. Clark was born on July 21, 1923 to Earl and Florence Pope Clark in Moro, Ore. He graduated from Nampa High School in Idaho, where he played football and was captain of the basketball team. After high school he played some semi-pro basketball until WWII intervened. During the war he served in the Navy in the Pacific, operating landing craft, supporting landings and transporting wounded at Iwo Jima and elsewhere. After the end of the war, he helped transport troops from the Far East back to California.

He then enrolled at Gonzaga University, graduating with a degree in chemistry. He married Pat Sanders on March 8, 1947 in Spokane, Wash. They moved to Richland, Wash., where he briefly worked on nuclear chemistry projects at Hanford. The Clarks then moved to Seattle, where they both worked while he attended the UW School of Dentistry. He practiced dentistry for close to 50 years in West Seattle.

The Clark family boated for years, cruising into the inlets and islands of the San Juans and north into British Columbia. The Clarks were members of the Queen City Yacht Club and Agenda Dance Club. As UW alums, they held season tickets to Husky football games and attended them for decades, hosting many pre- and post-game functions on their boat. They also traveled throughout the world, eventually settling on Poipu, Kauai for a vacation home.

After his retirement, Dr. Clark took several trips to China, volunteering in a dental clinic for several months during one of them.

Dr. Clark is survived by his children, Pat (Hal) Michael of Olympia and Howard Jr., of West Seattle; and grandchildren Christopher (Lindsey) Michael of Renton, Pamela Michael of Washington, D.C., and Rachel Clark-Wigington of Longview, Wash. He was preceded in death by his parents, siblings Max Clark and Marguerite (Clark) Kurpiewski, his wife and son. Memorials may be made to the UW School of Dentistry  or Seattle Hospice.


Ehret-WilliamDr. William Walter “Bill” Ehret died on Sept. 5, 2014 at Providence Centralia Hospital in Centralia, Wash. He was 85.

Dr. Ehret was born on Oct. 22, 1928 to Arthur and Mildred Ehret in Centralia. After graduating from the School of Dentistry, he served four years in the U.S. Army’s general dispensary on the west coast of France. After traveling and attending the Rome Olympics, he returned to the States and became a family dentist in his hometown for 50-plus years.

He will be remembered for the many hours he spent in his garden, where he was especially fond of breeding rhododendrons. He enjoyed his weekly trips to Federal Way, Wash., to volunteer at the Rhododendron Species Foundation and Botanical Garden.

Dr. Ehret was a member of the Elks Lodge and enjoyed photography, travel, family genealogy and regular coffee time with friends. He often was heard whistling a tune as he pursued his hobbies.

Dr. Ehret is survived by his sister, Mary Jean Baumhofer, of Portland; nieces Laura (Mark) Worden of Corvallis, Ore., and Janet (Gary) Buskuhl of Tualatin, Ore.; nephew William Scott Baumhofer of Portland, Ore.; and great-nephews Daniel, Nathan and Joshua Worden.  (Chronline.com)


Dr. EvansDr. Charles O. “Chuck” Evans died on June 18, 2014 at the age of 82.

Dr. Evans was born to Gordon and Marjorie Evans on Sept. 13, 1931 in Dryden, Wash. He graduated from Dryden High School in 1949 and earned his DDS from the School of Dentistry, where he was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. After college, he was commissioned in the Army as a captain at Fort Lewis.

Dr. Evans was a gifted woodworker. In the 1960s, he parlayed his talent into a successful dental practice, where he was known for his skill and artistry. He practiced for more than 30 years in Parkland, Wash. His patients included state senators and congressmen, who sought him out for his reputation.

In 1954, he married Velma Meister. They were married for 24 years. In 1979, he married Josie Lormor. They were married for 35 years.

Upon retirement, Dr. Evans transferred his skill from “tooth work” to woodwork and felt most comfortable with a tool belt on and a hammer in his hand. He competed nationally in downhill ski races, piloted small planes and biked with his friends. Nearly every day he got up early and “went to work” on his properties. His first love was golf. He was one of the oldest members still playing at the Tacoma Golf & Country Club, where he was known for his game and vibrant clothing style.

Dr. Evans is survived by his wife, Josie; children Mike (Laura), Marsha, Dan and Susan (Joe); stepdaughter Jill (Sam); grandchildren Natalie, Trisha, Luke, John and Iain; brother Richard (Gail); nieces Tammy, Hannah and Cindy; and nephews Mark, David, Rick, Ryan, Robert, Murray, Jessie and Mark.

Memorials may be made in his name to the University of Washington School of Dentistry, divided equally between the Tucker Gift Fund and the Dental Alumni Association Scholarship. (The Olympian)


Gerald SchultzDr. Gerard Drysdale “Gerry” Schultz passed away after a long illness on Oct. 5, 2013 in Evergreen Hospice in Kirkland, Wash. He was 84.

Dr. Schultz was a world-renowned expert in fixed prosthodontics, gnathologic principles and their relationship to temporomandibular joint physiology and pathology. His father, Dr. Arthur G. Schultz, was one of the original affiliate faculty members in the University of Washington’s Department of Operative Dentistry. The younger Dr. Schultz taught in the UW School of Dentistry’s Restorative and Periodontics departments while conducting a Seattle fixed prosthodontic practice limited to full-mouth reconstruction from 1964 until his retirement in 2010.

He also taught a postgraduate preceptorship program in restorative dentistry, served as a consultant to the graduate periodontics program at the University of Pennsylvania and led numerous restorative study clubs. In 2011, he received the UW School of Dentistry’s Distinguished Alumnus Award.

Dr. Schultz is survived by his wife, Carol; son, Randal “Randy,” who did his father’s lab work for many years; granddaughter, Breanna (Mike) Naccaroto; grandson, Brian; great-grandchildren Kassidy, Nikol and Olivia; and sister, Carolyn Schultz Van, her husband, Eric, their children, Cheryl, Greg, Gordy and Mellinda, and their combined offspring, Michaell, Douglas, Kyle, Eric, Chris, Alex, Jeff, Aaron, Laura and Juan Li.

He is predeceased by his parents, Dr. Arthur G. and Margaret D. Schultz; and younger son, Kennet “Kenny.” (Seattle Times)


Dr. EspositoDr. Russell Paul “Russ” Esposito died on May 31, 2014. He was 94.

Dr. Esposito was born to Pasquale (Charles) and Angelina Esposito on March 26, 1920 in Spokane, Wash. He was raised in the Gonzaga University/St. Aloysius neighborhood and attended St. Aloysius grade school and Gonzaga Prep before entering Gonzaga University. He enrolled in pre-medicine and played end during Gonzaga’s final era of college football. While in school, he assisted his father at the family grocery store. After college, he attended medical school in Portland, Ore., where he completed a degree in dentistry. While there, he met Peggy Tallman. Upon his graduation, they married on Nov. 11, 1944. He joined the Army as a dentist during World War II. Later he transferred to the Navy and was stationed in San Diego.

After the war, the Espositos returned to Spokane to open his practice, but were forced to close it when he was recalled to active duty by the Navy during the Korean War. At Oakland California Naval Base, he operated out of a mobile medical van. After that, he completed his certification in Orthodontics, specializing in maxillofacial surgery, at the School of Dentistry. He practiced orthodontics in Spokane, with Peggy as his medical assistant. The couple retired at age 65 and began to travel.

Dr. Esposito enjoyed being with his immediate family: the Migliuri clan on his mother’s side in Spokane and the Scarcellos on his father’s side near Rathdrum, Idaho. He was an avid fisherman and hunter and traveled to Alaska with his brother Joseph. He loved his yard and garden and spent time relaxing with family and doing work on the family cabin at Twin Lakes, Idaho. The Espositos visited Europe, Australia, China, Canada, Africa and other destinations, often meeting up with his uncle George Migliuri. They also traveled around the country in their motorhome. He participated in charitable organizations, including services to reconstruct cleft palate deformities in children. He and his father initiated the annual Gonzaga Prep spaghetti dinner. After the death of his wife, longtime family friend Verna Felice became his constant companion.

Dr. Esposito is survived by his brother Charles; sister Gloria (Richard) Poole; sister-in-law Joyce Esposito; Verna Felice; nieces and nephews Angela, Charles, Gina, Sarina, Anthony, Kate, Molly, Jill, Sara, Amy, Richard, Brian and Kristina; and numerous great-nieces and great-nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, Peggy, and his brother Joseph. (Legacy.com)


Dr. Carrol E. ReicheltDr. Carrol E. Reichelt died peacefully on March 17, 2013 at Providence Medical Center in Everett, Wash., due to complications from pneumonia. He was born to Evelyn and Carl Reichelt on April 25, 1931, in Everett. He graduated from Everett High School in 1948 and received his Doctorate of Dentistry from the University of Washington in 1956. After serving in the U.S. Air Force for two years, he returned to Everett and practiced dentistry for the next 35 years.

Dr. Reichelt was a member of Sertoma, the Everett Elks and Eagles clubs, the Snohomish County Dental Society and the Everett Golf & Country Club. He married Diana “Dini” Dawson on June 19, 1982. He enjoyed golfing, fishing, duck hunting, bowling, snow skiing and the “occasional” poker game. He loved going to Husky and Seahawks games and shared his passion for horseracing with family and friends.

Dr. Reichelt is survived by his wife, Dini; children Carol Moulton, Troy and Michael; grandchildren Trevor Moulton, Tara (James) Hammeran, Gracie Aiello and Edward Reichelt; siblings Linda (Doug) Dulin and Jim Reichelt; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Evelyn and Carl Reichelt; siblings June Bermudez, Marlene Silkman and Janice Jaroz; his first wife, Sharon Vincent Reichelt; and son Scott. (Everett Herald)


Dr. Monta John Nixon died on Sept. 15, 2014 at his home in Kenmore, Wash. He was 81. He is survived by his wife, Frances.


Dr. James Franklin QuigleyDr. James Franklin Quigley died on May 29, 2013, in Spokane, Wash. He was 79.

Dr. Quigley practiced dentistry for 40 years. He was a member of Spokane Rotary #21, where he served as chair of the disabilities committee for many years, and was past president of the Spokane District Dental Society. He was serving on the boards of Spokane Parks and Recreation and the Morning Star Boys’ Ranch Foundation at the time of his death. His passions were dentistry and volunteering in the community, and he loved spending time with family and friends, especially if it involved being on or near the water.

Dr. Quigley is survived by his wife of 31 years, Rose Marie; children Michelle (Roy) Lange of Spokane, Colleen (Kraig) Knutzen of Burlington, Wash., Jim Quigley of Norcross, Ga., and David (Shawn) Quigley of Bothell, Wash.; grandchildren Tyler and Jake Knutzen, Kelly and Kyle Quigley and Taylor and Alexis Quigley; and great-grandson Maddox Quigley. He was preceded in death by his parents. (Spokane Spokesman-Review)


Beaulieu-RobertDr. Robert Charles “Chuck” Beaulieu died on Jan. 26, 2015 of pneumonia. He was 83.

Dr. Beaulieu was born on March 24, 1931 to Olga (Youngquist) and Frederick Beaulieu in Sappho, Wash. His father died when he was a teenager, and he, his older sister, Yvonne, and his mother moved to Seattle. He attended Roosevelt High School, where he played football and met his cheerleader-wife-to-be, MaryBeth Hoban. He served two years in the Navy before attending Seattle University and the School of Dentistry. The couple married in 1955 and had five children by 1964. The family split time between their home in Seattle and a beach cabin on Mission Beach near Marysville, Wash.

Dr. Beaulieu practiced nearly painless dentistry for almost 50 years in the Capitol Hill and Northgate neighborhoods of Seattle and later in Kingston, Wash. “Generosity” would be the one word many think of when remembering “Dr. B,” as his office staff called him. He provided free or discounted dental care to many patients.

He enjoyed boating and boat repairs, sailing, fishing and sailboarding. He cherished many pets, from a Great Dane to a series of mini Dachshunds and a few cats.

Dr. Beaulieu is survived by his children Deborah (Boardman), Charles, Christopher, Joseph and Edward; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his wife, MaryBeth, in 2004 and his sister, Yvonne (Sbory), in 2014. (Seattle Times)


Dr. Jack Richardson of Beaumont, Texas, died on Feb. 6, 2013. (No further details were available.)


Dr. ThompsonDr. Robert W. Thompson passed away on June 14, 2014 at the age of 83.

Dr. Thompson was born to Bill and Germaine Thompson on April 17, 1931 in Seattle. He graduated from Enumclaw High School, where he lettered in three sports and was voted “Most Likely to Succeed.” The first in his family to attend college, he worked several jobs to pay for his education. He graduated from Washington State College, where he pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. His aunt Hazel Medina encouraged him to pursue a career in dentistry and he graduated from the UW School of Dentistry.

Dr. Thompson practiced in Auburn for more than 30 years. He was gentle in his work and kind to his patients. He was among the last generation of dentists who “did it all,” from fillings and cleanings to braces and dentures. He would barter with patients who couldn’t pay their bills. After his retirement, Dr. Thompson loved working around his home and five acres of land, playing with his dog, Bogey, and helping care for the 4-H Club’s alpacas and llamas. He volunteered his time with the elderly in a cerebral palsy home and became a certified Master Gardener.

He enjoyed golf and was a founding member and board president (in 1976) of the Meridian Valley Country Club. He also was a founding member of the Shank City Invitational Golf Tournament, in which he played for more than 40 years. His other hobbies included reading, hunting, fishing, skiing and hiking. He was most proud of climbing Mount Rainier. He made the trek with his wife, Judy, two times and scaled the summit in 1987.

Dr. Thompson also loved the Seattle Mariners and Husky football. Later in life, he became a docent with the Black Diamond Historical Society & Museum. He enjoyed his weekly visits to Black Diamond and sharing stories about the town and his childhood.

Dr. Thompson is survived by his wife of 50 years, Judy; son Will (Helicia); daughter Sarah (Tim); grandchildren Robbie, Madison and Samuel; his brother John; and many cousins, nieces and nephews. (Seattle Times)


Dr. CleaverDr. William H. Cleaver passed away surrounded by family on March 10, 2014 after a 10-year battle with lymphoma and leukemia. He was 77.

Dr. Cleaver was born to George and Helen Cleaver on July 17, 1936 in Hoquiam, Wash. After high school in Hoquiam, he graduated from the UW School of Dentistry with a degree in general dentistry. He started his practice in the Medical Dental Building in downtown Seattle in 1960 and worked there until he moved his practice to the 720 Olive Way building. He and his wife, Mari-Ann (who was at the front desk for 22 years), retired after a fulfilling 44-year career in 2004.

Dr. Cleaver deeply loved nature and cherished his younger years growing up working on the family’s cranberry bog, fly fishing and backpacking with his father. He remained an avid fly fisherman throughout his life and enjoyed passing his passion on to his grandchildren. World War II-era aviation fascinated him tremendously as a child and instilled a burning desire to become a pilot. He accomplished his dream with all the ratings of a private, instrument and commercial pilot. Starting at Lake Union in a float plane while in his 20s, he continued to fly throughout most of his life with Mari-Ann, who was also a pilot. They took many flying trips to British Columbia with family and friends, over glaciers and dangerous mountainous terrain to wonderful fishing adventures. Many times he piloted family and friends in his faithful Piper Pacer, Bellanca or Cessna to Sun Valley, Idaho and Bend, Ore., for skiing. He was also active in the Republican Party throughout his adult life.

Flying his plane, fishing, hiking, biking, tennis, skiing, boating, woodworking, gardening and lots of reading guaranteed there would never be a dull moment in his life. He was an awesome father, grandfather, husband and wonderful friend to many.

Dr. Cleaver is survived by his wife of 29 years, Mari-Ann; daughter Julie Bjornestad (Hans) of Seattle; son Bill Jr. of Vashon Island; grandsons Sgt. Justin Cleaver, U.S. Army (Jessica) and Payden Bjornestad of Seattle; granddaughters Julia Cleaver of Sequim, Wash., and Ellie and Kire Bjornestad of Seattle; great-granddaughter Aria Cleaver of Killeen, Texas; and many nieces and nephews.  (Seattle Times)


Dr. Richard Rudolph “Dick” RollaDr. Richard Rudolph “Dick” Rolla of Bellevue, Wash., passed away on June 18, 2013. He was 82.

Dr. Rolla was born on Sept. 14, 1930, in Cumberland, Wis., to Rudolph Oliver and Evelyn Murial (Anderson) Rolla. He attended Renton High School and Washington State College. He enlisted in the Army in January 1951, served in a MASH dental unit in the Korean War and received the Korean Service, National Defense and United Nations Service medals.

Returning to civilian life, he married Norma Lea Stewart on June 18, 1954. After graduating from dental school at the UW, he became the dentist at the Rainier School for the severely handicapped in Buckley, Wash. He became a lecturer in Pedodontics at the School of Dentistry in 1965. At the UW Child Development and Mental Retardation Center (now the UW Center on Human Development and Disability Records), he taught doctoral, post-doctoral and dental hygiene students how to work with children with special needs. He then became the dentist at Fircrest in Seattle, another facility with a population of children with special needs, a position he held until his retirement. He devoted his entire career to helping children and adults with special needs.

Dr. Rolla loved hiking and fishing in the great Northwest and was an accomplished artist, singer and gardener. He created photographs, drawings, watercolors and oil paintings, as well as fiber art. His talent for the fine detail work of the dentist carried over into one of his favorite hobbies, wood carving. His carvings ranged from Northwest Coast tribal art to Norwegian figures. Another of his loves was singing. He started singing in junior high school in Renton and continued into his adult years in the church choir and with the Issaquah Singers until just a few years ago.

Dr. Rolla is survived by his wife, Norma Lea; daughters Lea Ann Rolla (Pat Chevara) and Trudy Carol Rolla (Eric) Polzin; grandsons Alexander Rudolph Rolla Polzin and Nicholas Leigh Rolla Polzin; and brother Ronald Anderson Rolla of Kennewick, Wash. (Seattle Times)


Richards-WilliamsDr. William G. “Beeze” Richards Jr. passed away peacefully on Aug. 18, 2014. He was 78.

Dr. Richards was born on Jan. 31, 1936 in Prosser, Wash. He graduated from Prosser High School in 1954 and received a B.A. in chemistry from the UW in 1959. He taught at the School of Dentistry for two years and served in the U.S. Navy at Camp Pendleton for two years. In 1965 he set up a dental practice in Gig Harbor, Wash., and for 31 years reminded patients to “floss only the teeth you want to keep.” He later retired to Kingston, Wash.

Dr. Richards was known for his love of golf, fishing, hunting, Husky sports and fine dining at Dick’s burgers and for the best smoked salmon in town. He taught his family to tell the truth, love God, keep a sense of humor, brush their teeth and keep family first.

Dr. Richards is survived by his wife, Jan; daughter Tracy (Greg) Fisher; son Buzz; stepchildren Jillian (Brad) Rutherford and Tim Pennell; many grandchildren; and sister Ann Zylstra (Fred).

He was preceded in death by his daughter Tara and brothers Dick and Mike.

Memorials may be made in his name to the UW Athletics Association/Crew. (Legacy.com)


Dr. Lorenzo “Larry” Patelli died surrounded by his family on Dec. 11, 2011 in Surprise, Ariz. He was 73.

Dr. Patelli was born on Feb. 6, 1938 in Teaneck Township, N.J. He served in the U.S. Army and retired from his Seattle dental practice after 30 years.

He is survived by his wife, Eileen; sons Joseph Peter and John Patrick; daughter Gina M.P. Fisher; step-son Quin Ourada; 14 grandchildren; and sister JoVanna Moses. He was preceded in death by his parents, Giuseppe and Ernestina Patelli. (obits.dignitymemorial.com)


William RosendahlDr. William “Bill” Rosendahl died from a cancerous brain tumor on March 27, 2012 at Bayview Manor in Seattle. He was 75.

Dr. Rosendahl was born on Oct. 28, 1936 in Seattle. He graduated from Ballard High School, where he was yell leader in his junior and senior years and also on the baseball team. After three years in the Army, stationed in Puerto Rico as a dental specialist, he continued his studies and earned his DDS at the UW. His passion for dentistry and serving his patients lasted 48 years. He had offices in Seattle’s University Village area and on Vashon Island. In 1995, he started a dental assistant training school in Seattle, where he enjoyed teaching and mentoring students.

Dr. Rosendahl was a life member of the Seattle-King County Dental Society, Washington State Dental Association and American Dental Association and a member of the Pierre Fauchard Academy. He was an active skier, golfer, tennis player and poker enthusiast and enjoyed all local sports teams, especially the Huskies. He and his wife, Barbara, traveled to their winter home near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and many places around the world.

Dr. Rosendahl is survived by his wife, Barbara; daughters Lynda, Kari, Amy and Jody (Andres); grandson Ryan; brothers Joe and Doug; sisters Gloria and Darla; nieces; and a nephew. (Seattle Times)


Jay WestDr. Jay Reed “Uncle Jay” West of Layton, Utah, passed away on Oct. 15, 2013. He was 77.

Dr. West was born on Oct. 5, 1936 to James Reed and Rheuama Allan West in Spanish Fork, Utah. He received a BS degree from Utah State University before earning his DDS from the University of Washington, where he also served on the faculty. While at the UW, he met Lorraine Murphy. They were married in the Idaho Falls Temple in 1961.

Dr. West earned a degree in orthodontics from Northwestern University in Chicago and served as a captain in the U.S. Army in White Sands, N.M. He set up an orthodontics practice in Clearfield, Utah and retired in 1990.

During his retirement, Dr. West traveled to Europe on the Concorde several times, developing longtime friendships. He authored the book From East to West, a history of the West family, and was a dedicated husband to his wife during her years of illness.

Dr. West is survived by his siblings, Elaine (Kenneth) Burnham, Dee Wayne (Beverly), Bud Allan (Joyce), Colleen (Jeffrey) Abbott, Blair James (Kate) and Merril W. (Julie); and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lorraine; his parents; and his brother, Gary. (Deseret News)


Ian BennettDr. Ian Cecil Bennett, who went on to become dean at two dental schools after his residency at the University of Washington, died peacefully on Jan. 6, 2014 in Whatcom Hospice House in Bellingham, Wash. He was 82.

Dr. Bennett completed his dental degree in Liverpool, England, joined a geological expedition to Greenland, “hitched” a ride on a freighter to Canada and graduated from UW’s pediatric dentistry graduate program. In 1963, he joined the faculty at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia as Head of the Division of Paedodontics.

He served as dean of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (now the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine), where at age 39 he became the youngest dean at the time and was instrumental in the building of the new dental school. He returned to Dalhousie University as Dean from 1976 to 1986. He was a great supporter of the AADS/ADEA, the ACFD/AFDC and national organized dentistry.

Dr. Bennett retired to Vancouver, B.C., and married Dr. Marcia Boyd. They continued their personal and professional involvement in dentistry over the next 20-plus years. He spent the last 10 years in Washington state, in a beautiful place on the ocean enjoying crosswords, gardening, walking and reading.

Dr. Bennett is survived by his wife, Marcia; son Davis, his wife, Sue, and their sons, Jake and Dylan; daughter Sandy and granddaughter Kaylee; and brother Malcolm, his wife, Carole, and their daughters and families. He is predeceased by his first wife, Loreen.


Bruhn-ChristianDr. Christian N. Bruhn, affectionately known as “Chris” or “Bud,” died in November 2014. He was 75.

Dr. Bruhn was born on July 29, 1939 to Mary and Christian Bruhn in Omaha, Neb. The family moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1941.

Dr. Bruhn attended Franklin High School and UW. He opened his first practice in West Seattle the same year he graduated from the School of Dentistry. He later practiced in Burien and Federal Way for 39 years. He loved spending time with his family and friends.

Dr. Bruhn is survived by his wife of 43 years, Arlene; sons Christian and Peter; and several nieces and cousins. (Seattle Times)


Dr. Leon Jacob HenrichsenDr. Leon Jacob Henrichsen passed away on June 10, 2012, at his home in Salt Lake City. He was 75.

Dr. Henrichsen born on Jan. 16, 1936, in Holladay, Utah, to Bertha Rose Kohler and Allen Vernon Henrichsen. He was number two of a set of twins and number seven in a family of 10. He attended Granite High School and was in the first graduating class of Olympus High School in 1954. As a young man, he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Denmark.

Dr. Henrichsen graduated from the University of Utah before earning his dental degree from the University of Washington. He married the love of his life and eternal companion, Carollyn Joy Harward, on Dec. 20, 1968.

He is survived by his wife, Carollyn; children Kevin (Melia), Jeff (Nadine), Chad and Rebecca (Scott Van Valkenburg); and eight grandchildren. He is predeceased by eldest son Brian. (Salt Lake Tribune)


Dr. Ronald L. Holm passed away on July 26, 2014. He practiced in Spokane, Wash.


Dr. KitamotoDr. Frank Y. Kitamoto of Bainbridge Island, Wash., died of heart and kidney complications on March 15, 2014. A nationally respected Japanese-American community leader, he was 74.

Dr. Kitamoto was born on May 28, 1939 on Bainbridge Island. He graduated as salutatorian from Bainbridge High School in 1957, earned his degree from the UW School of Dentistry in 1965 and returned to Bainbridge Island to begin a successful 48-year dental practice.

Dr. Kitamoto was 2½ years old when he and 226 other Bainbridge Islanders were forcibly removed to internment camps in 1942. His family was first incarcerated at Manzanar in California and later transferred to Minidoka in Idaho. In the wake of this incarceration, Dr. Manzanar shared his inspirational message of tolerance, liberty and human rights by speaking to hundreds of groups that ranged from school-age children to senior citizens. For his decades of work, he received numerous awards.

Included among the many groups in which Dr. Kitamoto was most active during recent years were the Bainbridge Island Japanese Community, the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Exclusion Memorial Association, Friends of Minidoka and the Bainbridge Island School District Multicultural Advisory Council.

Dr. Kitamoto is survived by his wife, Sharon, and son Derek of Bainbridge Island; sisters Lilly (Mitsuhiro) Kodama of Bainbridge Island and Frances Ikegami of Bremerton, Wash.; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Frank Yoshito Kitamoto and Shigeko Kitamoto, and sister Jane Akita. (Seattle Times)


Dr. MilanDr. Anthony John Milan died on Oct. 8, 2013 in Tacoma. He was 80.

Dr. Milan was born on Aug. 22, 1933. He was the kind of person who would do anything for anyone. He loved skiing at White Pass, spending time with family and friends and golfing at Fircrest. (Obitsforlife.com)



Dr. Richard Terry GrubbDr. Richard Terry Grubb died in a motorcycle accident on June 20, 2013, in Oregon. He was 74. Dr. Grubb was born on Dec. 27, 1938, in Wenatchee, Wash., to Lee and Hazel Grubb. He was always known by Terry. He and his older brother, Ed, had many adventures in their family orchard in Sunnyslope, Wash. He attended Sunnyslope School, Wenatchee High School, Wenatchee Valley College, the University of Washington and the UW Dental School. He opened a dental practice in September 1967 in Wenatchee, where he was a practicing dentist for 46 years and practiced in the Wenatchee Valley ever since.

A practicing dentist for 46 years in Wenatchee, Wash., he was active at organized dentistry, serving as president of the North Central Washington Dental Society and the Washington State Dental Association, second vice president of the American Dental Association, regent of the American College of Dentists, fellow in the International College of Dentists and the Pierre Fauchard Society and member of the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission, among others.

Dr. Grubb loved to mentor young leaders and was an inspiration to many in the dental profession. He was a longtime member of the Wenatchee Free Methodist Church, where he served in multiple volunteer positions. His interests were wide and varied. He loved the outdoors and was on an annual road trip with his motorcycle buddies in Oregon at the time of his accident.

Dr. Grubb is survived by his wife of 32 years, Sharen; children Mindy, Liesl, Mike and Garrett and their spouses, Darryl Wall, David Bohan, Julie Grubb and Dawn Shores; and grandchildren Devin Grubb, Spencer, Mitch, Ethan, Nik, Alaina and Maia Wall, Neil and Trent Bohan and Madi and Molly Grubb. (Wenatchee World)


Dr. MacFarlaneDr. James Stuart “Jim” MacFarlane passed away on Feb. 14, 2014. He was 72. He died of natural causes while on vacation in Palm Desert with his wife of 50 years, Sue, and son, Stuart, by his side.

Dr. MacFarlane was born to Douglas and Margaret MacFarlane on July 4, 1941 in Portland, Ore. He and his older sister, Marion, and younger brother, Don, were raised in the Pacific Northwest. He achieved the honor of Eagle Scout and attended Seattle’s Lincoln High School and the University of Washington, where he graduated from the School of Dentistry.

In 1968, Dr. MacFarlane served as a dental officer in the U.S. Army in New Jersey and at the 12th Evacuation Hospital in Vietnam. He returned to Bainbridge Island in 1969 to fulfill his dream of practicing dentistry and raising his family there.

Dr. MacFarlane’s life was defined by his love of family and friends, travel, sports and nature. One of his favorite early memories was winning the city championship as a varsity member of the Lincoln High School basketball team. He also rowed for the Green Lake and UW crews and was an avid Husky and Seahawk football fan. He met Sue Gearhart through the fraternity and sorority system; he was president of the Alpha Delta Phi house. They married on July 31, 1964. His fraternity brothers remained family, returning to Bainbridge every Fourth of July to celebrate his birthday. His 50th birthday was particularly memorable, as the island honored him as its “Hometown Hero” at the annual parade.

Dr. MacFarlane belonged to the American Dental Association and Washington State Dental Association and was president of the Kitsap County Dental Society. He was also a founding member of the Northwest Academy of Dental Science. He contributed extensively to the community through dental services and mentorship and participated in various other organizations.

The MacFarlanes’ retirement was spent fulfilling lifelong dreams that included international travel, missionary trips to Africa, summers at Priest Lake, Idaho, and winters in Kauai, Hawaii and Palm Desert, Calif. With their grandchildren, he shared skiing, hiking, fishing, golfing and camping. He enjoyed playing golf at Wing Point Golf & Country Club with the “golf buddies.” However, there was no place more sacred to him than the family home he and Sue built on Puget Sound, where they created a lifetime of memories with family and friends.

Dr. MacFarlane is survived by his wife, Sue; son Stuart (Kathleen); daughters Katie Pearson (Kevin) and Darcy Wagner (Arnie); grandchildren Key, Anna, Layton, Taylor, Tess and Camden; and brother Don (Mary, son Kevin), nieces Sharon Carlson and Joanne Huffman and family and nephew Steve Carlson and family, all of Fairbanks, Alaska. (Tributes.com)


Colman-HarveyI am writing to inform you that my husband, Harvey L. Colman, passed away on May 22, 2014. At the University of Washington, he earned a Master’s Degree in Fixed Prosthodontics in 1967. His full obituary is attached below. Elizabeth Colman

Harvey Lee Colman, 77, died in Laguna Beach, CA, on Thursday, May 22, 2014, due to complications of Parkinson’s disease. A resident of Shelburne, VT, Harvey was born in Los Angeles, CA, on December 13, 1936, and attended Dorsey High School. He then studied dentistry at the University of Southern California, where he joined the Delta Sigma Delta dental fraternity. Following dental school, he served in the United States Air Force and was stationed in Fukuoka, Japan. When he returned from the Air Force he entered dental practice in Costa Mesa, CA. In 1965, Harvey enrolled in the Graduate Restorative Dentistry program at the University of Washington and received his M.S.D. in Fixed Prosthodontics. He returned to the USC School of Dentistry as a member of the faculty in 1967, and taught there for the next eleven years. In 1978, he was appointed Professor of Fixed Prosthodontics and Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. His long career in dentistry ended with his retirement in 1998. One of the many highlights of his career was serving as President of the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics in 1996.

Harvey and his wife of 48 years, Elizabeth (Knox), were married in Newport Beach, CA, on July 3, 1965. In addition to Elizabeth, he is survived by his children Erin Lamb, Shauna Sanidas, and Devin Colman, as well as their spouses Thomas, Oliver and Jennifer, and beloved grandchildren Matt, Kate, Luke, Ella, Tommy and Lulu. He is also survived by his sister, Marilyn (Colman) Hoffman and her husband, Dale, nieces and nephews, and brother in-law Robert Knox and his wife Susan. Harvey was predeceased by his parents, Margaret (Rodda) and Harvey Colman.

In addition to his work as an educator, Harvey was an audiophile who enjoyed classical music. His other interests included automobiles, gardening, traveling, and fine art. His time stationed in Japan fostered a life-long interest in Asian culture and art, especially ceramics and woodblock prints. Upon retirement, he and Elizabeth moved to Orr’s Island, ME, where they designed and built a beautiful home and gardens. In 2011, they moved to Shelburne, VT, to be closer to family.

A private celebration of life was held on May 28, 2014, in Newport Beach, CA. Interment will be in the garth at House of Hope Presbyterian Church in St. Paul, MN. Contributions in Harvey’s memory may be made to the House of Hope Presbyterian Church Music Fund, 797 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN, 55105.


Dr. Byron M. Nakagawa passed away on Nov. 21, 2013 in Seattle. He was 70.

Dr. Nakagawa was born to Nobushi and Katsu (Watanabe) Nakagawa on Jan. 4, 1943 in Hunt, Idaho. He was a beloved West Seattle dentist for many years.

He is survived by his mother and sister Peggy Murayama and brother David and their families. (Washelli.com)


Dr. SmithDr. Lloyd A. W. Smith passed away from cancer on June 14, 2013, in Tucson. He was 68.

Dr. Smith was born on Jan. 3, 1945. He practiced dentistry for more than 40 years in Tucson and was involved in several dental study groups. He retired in 2010 and had a long bucket list.

In 1966, Dr. Smith received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he was active in the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and intramural sports.

From 1970 to 1972, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. After his Army dental service, he and his wife, Carol, moved to Tucson, where they spent the rest of their professional lives.

Dr. Smith had a very full and busy life as a husband, father, grandfather, dentist and athlete. He participated in many sports, including baseball, golf, racquetball, skiing, scuba diving, motorcycle riding and racing. He also enjoyed traveling throughout the world with his wife and family. He loved cooking and entertaining good friends in Tucson. He was an active member of the Centurions, a men’s charitable organization, for many years. He would frequently attend the Pacific Northwest Dental Conference in Seattle to take CDE courses and touch bases with classmates.

Dr. Smith is survived by his wife of 44 years, Carol; sons Dr. Garrett (Cori Moriarty) and Tracy; and grandchildren Taryn and Milo. (Arizona Daily Star)


Douglas MauermanDr. Douglas Vern Mauerman passed away peacefully at his home on July 13, 2013 in Rochester, Wash. He was 72.

Dr. Mauerman was born on Aug. 14, 1940 in Vancouver, Wash., grew up in Longview, Wash., and lived his adult years in the Centralia, Wash., area. In his youth, he spent summers on his grandfather’s farm in the Lincoln Creek Valley. He eventually returned to the valley to build a small farm, vineyard and home and spent his retirement years working on the land.

Dr. Mauerman married Phyllis Rice in 1960 and graduated from Linfield College in McMinnville, Ore., with a degree in chemistry in 1962. He worked for Weyerhaeuser in Cosmopolis, Wash., until 1967, when he returned to school to pursue his doctorate in dentistry at the University of Washington. He practiced dentistry in Centralia from 1972 to 2010.

In 1978, he married Deena Pickens. He was active in Rotary, the Sons of Norway, the Lincoln Creek Grange, his church and other community groups. His children noted that once involved in an activity, he would usually serve in a leadership role. He also enjoyed traveling the world. Most recently, he spent three months in the Philippines with his fiancée, Lilia Santos.

Dr. Mauerman is survived by his children, Barry (Peggy) of Allenspark, Colo., Karen Schreuder (Lee) of Bellingham, Wash., Kate Christenson of Mason, Mich., and Tiffany McCullough of Yuma, Ariz.; eight grandchildren; sister Diane Mauerman; and cousin Brian Thompson. He is preceded in death by his parents, Vern and Esther Mauerman, and sister Sally Mauerman. (www.meaningfulfunerals.net)


Dr. Michael Alan Nieder, who practiced dentistry on Washington’s Whidbey Island for 23 years and then retired to run his family’s real estate business and pursue his various hobbies, passed away on Sept. 6, 2014. He was 67.

Born in Seattle to Lawrence and Ann Nieder on Jan. 27, 1947, he had three younger sisters, Susan Nieder Acunto, Janice Nieder and Penelope Leopold. Michael graduated from Franklin High School. After receiving his DDS in 1972, he opened his dental practice in Coupeville, Wash.

Michael earned the title of Eagle Scout as a young man. He became an accomplished golfer and longtime member of Whidbey Golf and Country Club. He enjoyed a lifetime of golf with his friends and especially his daughter, Devra Nieder. Coaching his son Daniel’s youth baseball and basketball teams was one of Dr. Nieder’s priorities. He also enjoyed spending his days riding his horses, fishing and beachcombing with his friends and beloved dog Laeliah. He was a true cowboy, a fantastic chef and a voracious reader who loved to learn. His wit and humor will never be forgotten.

He is survived by his mother, Ann Nieder, and children, son Daniel Nieder and two daughters, Jillian Fisher and Devra Nieder. (Seattle Times)


O'Connor-DouglasDr. Douglas “Doug” O’Connor died at home of natural causes on Oct. 21, 2014 at the age of 68.

“It was a shock and surprise to everybody,” said Dr. John Berwind, a lifelong friend and fellow dentist.

Dr. O’Connor was born on July 10, 1946 in Astoria, Ore., and moved to Longview, Wash., at the age of 4. He attended Mark Morris when it was a middle school and graduated from R.A. Long High School in 1964. He earned a chemistry degree from the UW in 1968 and served as an Army captain and dentist from 1972-74. He then opened a dental practice in Longview. Three years later, he and Dr. Berwind moved into the same 11th Avenue building to operate separate practices side by side. Dr. O’Connor retired in March 2014.

“His skill, care and judgment were beyond reproach,” said Dr. Berwind. “He treated his patients like they were family. … and he always tried to do what was best for the patient.”

Dr. Steven Pond, who served with Dr. O’Connor in the Lower Columbia Dental Society, said, “He was a very integral part (of the society) for years and years. We’ll miss him both in the community and dental community.”

Dr. O’Connor was a member of the American Dental Society, Academy of General Dentistry and Academy of Dentistry International. He earned his master’s degree and fellowship in the Academy of Dentistry. He received the Washington State Dental Association Citizen of the Year Award and the Cowlitz County Citizen of the Year Award. He was a member of the Lions Club (Sunrise and Longview/Kelso Earlybirds) for more than 40 years and served in leadership positions for the United Way of Cowlitz County for 18 years (including local president in 1981 and the state of Washington president in 1987).

“The hours that he contributed to the United Way, his knowledge and his care (made him) a really good example of our mission,” said Kalei C. LaFave, president of the United Way of Cowlitz and Wahkiakum Counties.

Dr. O’Connor served on the Longview School Board for 12 years – four as president – and was a founding member and president of the R.A. Long Alumni Association, a member of the R.A. Long Hall of Fame Committee, a recipient of the Marlen Peterson Memorial Award and a dedicated Lumberjack.

“What was really important to Doug was making sure that we were providing a focus on academics, that we have the systems and programs in place to support academic achievement,” said Jennifer Leach, Longview school board president.

Dr. O’Connor’s son, Tyson, said his father “loved the Longview community because it gave a lot to him growing up. And he wanted to give back to Longview.”

Dr. O’Connor always included his family in community events. He loved taking family trips throughout the country and cheering on the Blazers and Dawgs. He was a passionate supporter of UW academics and athletics.

After retiring, he spent a lot of time at the family cabin in Chinook, Wash., and saw family and friends around the country. He frequently met with a group of high-school friends and tried to stay active in the community.

Dr. O’Connor is survived by his wife, Jeanne; and children Tyson and Tara. (Tdn.com)


Dr. HolmesDr. Charles Oliver “Chuck” Holmes passed away on April 1, 2014. Practicing privately in Des Moines, Wash., he had a career that spanned more than 40 years.

Early in his career, Dr. Holmes was active in the Seattle-King County Dental Society, serving on numerous committees. He was past president of the UW’s Psi Omega dental fraternity, whose house he donated to the School of Dentistry with the national fraternity’s consent after the chapter became inactive. Proceeds from the sale funded the Psi Omega scholarship, which continues to be awarded annually.

Dr. Holmes is survived by his wife, Kathe; and his son, Chas.


Dr. CarlsonDr. Curtis Eugene “Curt” Carlson of Seattle died on March 19, 2014. He was 71.

Dr. Carlson was born on March 30, 1942 in Rockford, Ill. He received his DDS from the University of Illinois Chicago Medical Center in 1969. From there, he served in the U.S. Navy as an intern at Oaknoll Naval Hospital and as a dental officer on the USS Samuel Gompers. He attended the UW School of Dentistry for a combined four years of periodontal and orthodontic graduate school, while serving on the periodontal faculty, teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

A skillful and lifelong student of the dental sciences, Dr. Carlson maintained a full-time private practice in Bellevue, Wash., for 40 years. As a periodontist and orthodontist, he was committed to making a difference in his patients’ lives. In his last days, he was visited by numerous patients whose lives he touched with his expertise, jovial chair-side manner and caring nature.

Dr. Carlson was a beloved father, grandfather, husband, uncle and friend. An NRA member and avid fisherman, he loved to use light tackle to catch salmon and steelhead in Washington, Alaska and British Columbia. His gourmet-quality home-smoked salmon was eagerly anticipated by family and friends.

Dr. Carlson is survived by his wife, Dr. Dona M. Seely (’78, Orthodontics ’80); daughters Jennifer (Micah) Theckston and Gina (James) Rowles; son Erik; and grandson Jonah Theckston. He was preceded in death by his parents, Kenneth and Dorothy, and sister Patricia Grams. (Seattle Times)


Curtis SappDr. Curtis Sapp of Olympia passed away on Feb. 3, 2013. He was 63.

Dr. Sapp was born on Aug.12, 1950 to Floyd and Betty Sapp in Seattle. He spent parts of his childhood in California and Washington. During his undergraduate studies in Pharmacy at the University of Washington, he married Linda Wolph. He entered the School of Dentistry and graduated as a member of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Society. The couple then moved to Connecticut so he could pursue a degree in Orthodontics at the University of Connecticut.

In 1980, he moved to Olympia and opened orthodontics practices there and in Shelton, Wash. He practiced as an orthodontist for nearly 30 years. Dr. Sapp was a founding member of the Thurston-Mason County Dental Society, where he served as an officer and president. He also worked on the cleft palate board for Thurston County with a team of specialists. Toward the end of his career, he enjoyed volunteering as a part-time faculty member at the UW School of Dentistry, working with first-year students.

Dr. Sapp was a long-time Rotary member and enjoyed many of the local festivals and gatherings. His hobbies included sea and river kayaking, snow skiing, working out at Tumwater Valley, playing with his dogs and attending Huskies and Sonics games. He was also a blues and rock music enthusiast and had a passion for American-made cars, especially Corvettes. Most of all, he enjoyed spending time with his sons, Jagger and Hunter, and his wife, Sharon.

Dr. Sapp is survived by his sons, Hunter and Jagger (Meghan); his wife, Sharon; and his sister, Cheri (Steve) Enevold. (The Olympian)


Dr. HungateDr. William P. “Mitch” Hungate died in an avalanche on Granite Mountain, Snoqualmie Pass, Wash., on April 13, 2013. He was 61. He practiced dentistry in Renton for 34 years and taught Prosthodontics at the University of Washington since 1979 as an affiliate faculty member.

Dr. Hungate was born on Nov. 25, 1951, in Ridgewood, NJ, and moved to the Pacific Northwest with his family in 1956. He graduated from Sammamish High School in 1970 and completed his undergraduate and dental school programs at the UW. He told stories of his seven summers in Alaska cooking for the cannery workers to earn his way through school. He passed the Dental Board Exam in June 1978 and completed an internship in the Navy in Norfolk, Va., where he served as a lieutenant DDS in the public health sector.

While practicing dentistry, Dr. Hungate continued his affiliation with the UW. An avid Husky fan, he never missed a season of football games. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Renton Rotary Club, serving as president in 1984 and receiving the Paul Harris Fellowship Award.

Dr. Hungate excelled in full Ironman Triathlons.  He won slots to the World Championship Ironman in Kona in 2006, 2007 and 2011. He also won admission to the World Championship Half Ironman in Clearwater, Fla., for two consecutive years and again in 2011 in Las Vegas.

Mountain climbing was his heart’s delight. It was a mutual love of the mountains that drew him and his wife, Marilynn, together some 17 years ago. He climbed many of the world’s greatest mountains, including Aconcagua, McKinley, Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya, Pico de Orizaba, the Matterhorn, Mount Blanc, Mount Whitney, Mount Assiniboine and the major peaks in Washington and Oregon. He climbed Mount Rainier more than a dozen times, including two one-day ascents by different routes. The North Cascades were his playground and he mentored people in the sport as he did with triathlons, dentistry and other fields that gave him joy.

Dr. Hungate is survived by his wife, Marilynn; sister, Cheryl Hungate; brother Robert B. Hungate Jr.; sister-in-law Sandra Neely Hungate; nephew Adam B. Hungate; niece Serenity Hungate (H. Allen) Shelby; grand-nephew Micah Burns; and grand-niece Chloe Burns. He is also survived by stepson Brody Rutter; stepdaughter Darcy (Bryan) Sera; and grandchildren Lucelia and Griffin Sera. (Seattle Times)


Daniel TaylorDr. Daniel Miles Taylor passed away on Nov. 11, 2013 surrounded by family at his home near Snohomish, Wash. He was 63.

Dr. Taylor was born on April 7, 1950 to Dr. Louis G. and Dorothy Taylor in Long Beach, Cali. As a young man, he excelled in sports and academics. He completed an undergraduate degree while becoming a two-time Academic All-American playing football for Brigham Young University. After marrying Cynthia Holbrook on April 27, 1974, he completed the dental program at the University of Southern California, followed by the Orthodontics program at the UW.

The Taylor family settled near Snohomish, where he practiced Orthodontics and involved himself in the community. He became president of the Washington State Society of Orthodontics, a member of the American Board of Orthodontics and the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists and an adjunct professor of Orthodontics at the UW.

After his retirement, the Taylors enjoyed visiting their children. He also liked snow skiing, stamp collecting and snorkeling off the beaches in Hawaii. A devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dr. Taylor served a two-year mission to Taiwan as a young man and went on to serve in many church service and leadership capacities.

Dr. Taylor is survived by his wife, Cynthia; children Andrew, Amy, Ann Marie, Christine, Michelle and Juliana; mother Dorothy; siblings Steven Larkin, Andrew, Suzanne and David; and 20 grandchildren. (Seattle Times)

Former Faculty


Johnson-Robert2Dr. Robert E. “Bob” Johnson passed away peacefully at his home on Dec. 4, 2014. He was 93.

In 1949, Dr. Johnson became the first executive officer and head of the School of Dentistry’s Department of Oral Surgery. He remained as associate professor and head of the department until going into private practice in 1956 in Seattle’s Medical Dental Building.

Dr. Johnson was born on Jan. 28, 1921 to Lester and Mildred Johnson in Saginaw, Mich. He graduated from Arthur Hill High School in 1938, Bay City Junior College in 1940 and the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in 1944. He then served in the U.S. Navy Dental Corps from 1944-46 at Great Lakes Naval Training Center and received orders to be the acting oral surgeon at the hospital command for the 13th Naval District. His brother, Russ, joined him in the Naval Dental Corps six months later. While serving at Great Lakes, Dr. Johnson married his sweetheart, Doris Benkert, of Saginaw.

Dr. Johnson loved oral surgery and practiced full time until 1986. He practiced part-time in his son’s office – Dr. Robert E. Johnson Jr., Class of 1983 – and his son-in-law’s office – Dr. J. Michael Hardy – until his 84th birthday.

He was on the staff of many local hospitals and belonged to numerous professional organizations. He was also a founding member of the Sertoma Service Club/Big Brothers of Seattle.

Dr. Johnson played the saxophone from the eighth grade and was student director of his high school marching band. He joined the musicians union, earning $1.50 per hour, which helped pay for his education. He continued to play with several “big bands” in the Seattle area until a few years ago. He also had a great love of the outdoors. He hunted with rifles, shotguns and bow and arrow, fished, rode dirt bikes, skied and enjoyed boating. He cherished his time at the family condo at Lake Chelan, where he pursued these activities. His biggest trait was that of a family man. He brought the meaning of “being there” for his family to a new level. He would do anything for them, night or day, through thick and thin.

Dr. Johnson is survived by his wife of 70 years, Doris; daughter Ann Hardy (Mike) of Bellevue, Wash.; son Robert (Linda) of Issaquah, Wash.; grandchildren Robbie Hardy, Robert E. “Bobby” Johnson III, Carey Hardy and Amy Johnson; great-granddaughter Raya Hardy; brother Dr. Russell Johnson (Marge) of Saginaw; and sisters-in-law Gwen Behrens (Cliff) and Marge Laube.

Memorials may be made to the Robert E. Johnson, DDS, MS Memorial Fund for the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, made out to the UW Foundation. (Seattle Times)